1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

SSD on D610

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by dscar, Jul 22, 2011.

1. dscar

dscar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry if this is a re-post. I've had trouble searching these forums lately (not sure what's up), but I thought I would share some results.

I finally got around to ordering a SATA modular bay that is compatible with the D series latitudes. I've been hanging onto my D610 for a while now, since it makes a perfectly good surfing/emailing notebook, but was curious about expanding storage. I also had a new SSD drive sitting, waiting to go into my new M14x, so thought I'd run a test or two with all components. After installing said SSD in the SATA modular bay, it appears that the SSD is light-years faster than the PATA drive native to the D610/D600 systems.

I only ran a few drive benchmarks, but the SSD was easily outpacing the IDE drive 20-40-fold.

Has anybody else messed with such a setup? I wonder if it's worth the time and effort, since bottlenecks are likely to be in many other places on such old notebooks. I had planned on using the SATA modular thing for extra storage at the very least.

I just thought this was cool, nonetheless.

Scott

2. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell? Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Up until around this time last year, I was running an HP TC4200 off of a CF card connected to the PATA bus. Definitely not fast compared to contemporary SSDs, but much faster, much quieter, and much less power-hungry than a conventional PATA hard drive. Was very happy with that setup.

Up until a month ago,my old fileserver ran off of a first-gen Samsung SSD connected to the PATA bus via a PATA to SATA bridge. Either the limits of the PATA bus itself or the bridge capped both sequential speeds to about 70MB/s, but I was able to get the drive's full 5MB/s random write speed.

In general, my take is that even if a new SSD is limited in sequential read/write speed on an old bus, the gains you get in random read/write performance still make it worthwhile... assuming you're going to keep said system around.