SSD for OEM's Windows 8: still possible?

Discussion in 'Solid State Drives (SSDs) and Flash Storage' started by Future Science, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Future Science

Future Science Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Edited post.

2. DDDenniZZZ

DDDenniZZZ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Probably incompetence, you should be able to install on a new hard drive, since the key is stuck on the laptop somewhere, that will enable you to use it on fresh install on another hard drive.

3. Abidderman

Abidderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If it is an OEM version vs retail, it is tied to the hardware. If you change the HDD it will not activate. However, in the past I have been able to call Microsoft and get it activated, just have to tell them you changed the drive. This is because they sell OEM versions of windows cheaper and this is a way to prevent piracy.

4. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The licensing mechanism for Windows 8 is vastly different, but if you're just adding an SSD with a cloned copy of the original hard drive installation of the OS (properly activated/licensed, and yes I'm well aware we're talking about an OEM install), it shouldn't even blink at the swap save for Device Manager installing necessary support and then requiring a reboot because of the new storage device.

And as just noted above, if there is an issue of any kind, it's an OEM machine and as long as it has the Windows 8 COA sticker on it, you're entitled to swap/replace hardware - a phone call to Microsoft would get you situated if needed.

5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    I installed Windows 8 on my AMD Trinity Notebook that came with Windows 8 after swapping out the HDD with an SSD and it never even asked to activate.

6. myx

myx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Windows activation is tied to major components like cpu or motherboard not use replaceable components like ram or drives of any kind.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

7. AlexHoug

AlexHoug Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That is good to hear, I'd hate to get screwed on the licensing end by just replacing a part.

8. Mossey

Mossey Newbie

Reputations:
    Read my earlier post. I know it can be done and it is very simple. The second it boots with your new SSD windows 8 is activated. I have done it three times. I just created recovery media on and External USB drive. Installed the new SSD drive. Boot to the USB and do a complete recovery including the recovery partition. Done. As you could see from my post, you may have a issue booting to a USB after the SSD has a working OS.

9. Peon

Peon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How has licensing changed? In the past, the computer was the mobo as far as Microsoft was concerned (you could upgrade anything else, but the mobo had to stay the same model). Is that no longer the case?

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    That was never the case. It was some funky combination of your hardware, not just motherboard. I had an issue with XP before where I swapped the hard drive and it said my license was no longer valid. I called Microsoft and they said "nope, sorry". It was an OEM license, which I had plenty extras at the time, just frustrating that my HDD died so I replaced it and all of a sudden my XP license was no longer valid?