1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Spilled soda on my laptop, any hope?

Discussion in 'Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio' started by snowbrdkid, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowbrdkid

snowbrdkid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I knocked some soda onto my computer while doing homework, it was on the top right hand corner of the keyboard. Its an e1505 from a litte over 2&1/2 years ago (warranty is out). I let it dry under a fan for an hour, then left it another hour. It worked fine, but 1 speaker didn't work. I turned it off, but I tried to turn it back on to print something about an hour later and it wouldn't turn on. It said "no bootable device". It would run a dell diagnostic though. Does that mean my hard drive went out?

I spilled water once before(under warrenty though), and only 1 key stopped working.

2. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    Yeah, it sound like the soda might have gotten to the Harddrive or maybe a part of the mobo.

Try the Ubuntu LIve CD. Boot from it, and see if you can see your files on the HDD.

...Nothing you can do about the Speaker except for replacing them. :eek:

3. hehe299792458

hehe299792458 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    try putting the hdd into an enclosure and try to access it from another computer

4. antskip

antskip Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    soda is much worse than water. with water there is no residue, so only thing to do is wait for evaporation. one hour is hardly sufficient. i left a spilt-pc (wine) for a week once (with all possible things like ram/battery/ etc removed, and pc propped up to encourage drying/air flow) and miraculously it recovered itself- through thoroughly drying out. but if there is too much residue (sugar, etc) left that will not go away - ever. good luck!

5. nacr05

nacr05 Extreme Overclocker

Reputations:
    Try reseating the hard drive, unplugging it and plugging it back in, see if that helps..

6. snowbrdkid

Reputations:
    Will do, thanks for the advice. I was hoping there was a way to try to boot it w/o windows. I don't really care about the speakers. So, if I can see my HDD, then its probably not my HDD?
    that was my first thought, and will be my second plan after trying the ubuntu live CD

Ya, i realized that after I already turned it on. I had some stuff to print for school...I didnt really have ample time to wait

Will try this as well, thanks! My major problem right now is that I don't have tools with me...but it would be worth buying some

7. xScorp1on

xScorp1on Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, worse comes to worse dip it in 99.9% alcohol and let that dry out.

8. Dragunov-21

Dragunov-21 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I dunno about dipping lol, but yes, surgical/methylated spirits are your best bet for getting rid of the nasty sticky bits (especially when it comes to cleaning under the keyboard contacts).

For future reference, you don't want soda to evaporate, because it's easier to wipe off wet. Disassemble, clean with dry paper towel, then with cutips and/or paper towel lightly dampened with surgical spirits/metho. (NOT THE SAME AS WHITE SPIRITS ETC ETC, YOU WANT ~100% ETHANOL/METHANOL)

work gtg

9. snowbrdkid

Reputations:
    That turned out to be the fix, I'm posting (backing everything up) from it now. THanks!

10. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    Good. :)

Glad to hear its all working again. ;)