1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Spilled Orange juice on laptop help!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Lavitz, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lavitz

Lavitz Notebook Evangelist

Okay, so far i cleaned the keys with compressed air can. Windex(glass cleaner) and vacumed up the juice.Now i found Lysol and im wondering if i can spray it on the laptop without damaging any hardware. Any help is highly appreciated. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Notebook Evangelist

3. Shyster1

Shyster1 Lazy as the Day is Long

Why on Earth would you want to spray lysol on your system?

4. Lavitz

the removing procedure would be different for my notebook,any idea if there tutorial for mine. Also at the moment I am just pulling keyouts and cleaning them.
    Lysol why? Well if laptops have some sort of seal then the fluid shouldn't go through and once it sits for like 1 min i can suck it out with an vaccum.

5. Kdawgca

Kdawgca rotaredoM repudrepuS RBN Super Moderator

6. TabbedOut

The keyboard removal procedure would certainly be different, HOWEVER the point I was trying to make was that if you can remove the keyboard I believe that the best way to clean it would be to rinse it off. The Lysol will do little to remove the sugar that will create the subsequent stickiness. Also I have some doubts as to how effective a vacuum would be at removing Lysol that you have sprayed. Finally, I'm not sure that you could spray on enough of any liquid to effectively remove the offending fluid without at the same time soaking the underlying electronics.

7. TabbedOut

Yeah, and a little bit of this too.

8. alexka

alexka Company Representative

Power down notebook and remove battery

Open up notebook (DO NOT USE LYSOL OR ANY OTHER SOLVENT)

Check for OJ residue and use denatured alcohol to clean up

Allow everything to dry before powering up

9. Lavitz

^^ Those are all well made points. Well I don't want to personally take the keyboard out quite yet. Do you think i could do it if notice the the key are stating to stick? Or would it be too late?.I kinda want open the keyboard to me last resort.

10. TabbedOut

It is INFINITELY easier to fix the problem before the keys start to stick. If you spilled juice you should probably assume that they will.

11. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Make sure the system is off. Flip the laptop over and let the orange juice naturally come out of it. It may take a day or so for the orange juice to evaporate. Once the system is dry, tae the system apart and clean each component with > 90% rubbing alcohol. Then dry and reassemble.

You do not want to use windex or lysol as they will stain and leave hydrocarbon residue respectively on the inside of your laptop.

Rubbing alcohol, patience and time is what you need

K-TRON

12. Lavitz

Acuatlly after looking at the guide it seems to be simple enough to take the keyboard out. So I will give it a shot.

13. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss Super Moderator

Make sure you take out all power sources.

You have to take out the keyboard and use methlyathed spirits/denatured alcohol on all hardware the OJ went on.

I suggest you order in a new keyboard.

14. Lavitz

I have the laptop open now. Should I pull out the wire that is plugged into the laptop?. Also do i have worry about getting the wire wet(i assume so).Also what should I use to clean the keyboard?

15. Serg

Serg Nowhere - Everywhere

here's and odd recommendation for electronics when getting wet (it worked on my previous cell phone Nokia 6300) turn it off, take out battery and skin, disarm it as much as possible and place everything on dry rice for some hours. for some reason rice absorbs water and humidity...it worked for me, good luck with your sager

16. Lavitz

Well everything seems to be dry atm. All the keys seem to be fine. Worst case scenario is have to replace the keyboard.But can some one help with the step where i seem to pull the wire out of the laptop.
    So far thx nbr for the quick replies :)

Got the keyboard out. Now to clean it!

1.Put it in hot water? and have the wire sticking out?.
    2. What to mix in the water?
    3.HELP!

17. TabbedOut

1) Don't use hot water. I would suggest distilled water to be safe, but I used normal tap water without any ill results on my keyboard
    2) NOTHING
    3) Make sure that it is not plugged into the laptop when you are doing this and make sure that it is DRY before you plug it back in. I placed mine in the oven for 2 hours at 170F to speed up the process, but if you are uncomfortable doing this don't... just let it dry overnight. Drying time will depend on ambient temp/humidity, and it's better to be safe than sorry. If you live in a cool or humid environment you might consider ethyl, methyl, or isopropyl alcohol to rinse with.

18. Lavitz

Instead of dipping the keyboard into anything what i did was use a towel paper and dipped it in a bit of alochol (red label) and just wiped the keyboard. Since its sunny outside im letting it dry in a window. Its windy and sunny so it should be dry soon.

19. alexka

alexka Company Representative

Dry out in rice as it absorbs the moisture as correctly put by serg89 for the best results, the oven would be a tad risky.

20. Lavitz

Would using Brand Name alcohol be okay? Like Red Label or something?. I don't have any rubbing alcohol. Also to dry it quicker couldn't i use a blow dryer on cold?.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.