Spectre X360 15, 2018

Discussion in 'HP' started by crs1, Mar 14, 2018.

1. droidfury

droidfury Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi there, I am also interested in this machine and I just have a few questions for you.

1. Can you open the lid with one finger or one hand?
    2. Is it really heavy for an ultrabook?
    3. How is the thermals? I don't know if you are a gamer but if I'm going to buy this I might hook up an external gpu.
    4. Is the screen nice considering it is not an infinity display like the XPS 15?
    5. Lastly, how is the build quality? Is it all aluminium?

2. redbullmaster

redbullmaster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi I have a question on the screen, what's it like for fast movement, is there any ghosting.

Thanks

3. crs1

crs1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have not, so far, noticed any ghosting at all. I have had the chance to watch parts of several movies that include lots of fast action scenes and didn't see anything unusal.

4. crs1

crs1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I am unable to open the lid with one finger and am okay with that really. I think if it's too easy the 2 in 1 options could be compromised buy unstable movement. At 4.6 lbs, some would consider it heavy, I don't. In tablet form it is a little bulky but it is still useful in certain situations despite its size.
    I have yet to do any extreme functions other that browsing, 5-8 tabs open while listening to a bluetooth speaker, watching videos. What I have noticed is that the fan has hardly run at all compared to my previous HP Pavillian Dv6T from 2013, which ran almost all the time. I will be editing music and video files on this soon, so hopefully it stays as cool as it does now.
    The screen is very nice, detailed and colorful, I have no complaints in that area.
    Build quality is first rate and gorgeous to look at. It is CNC machined from block of aluminum from what I've read. It has a very high quality look and feel to it. I absolutely love this laptop!

droidfury likes this.
  5. droidfury

droidfury Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for your feedback and inputs. Now I am more confident to buy this laptop for my mom.

6. Dim G

Dim G Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey crs1,
    As the Vega M model just came out, I am now really struggling not to buy it before the a few reviews come out.
    One thing that might be a dealbreaker for me is RAM.
    Is it upgradeable, or is it soldered on the motherboard?
    And if upgreadable, whould you happen to know if it goes all the way up to 32G?

7. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  8. crs1

crs1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was too impatient to wait any longer for the new 2018 model, besides the reviews have been very good in the past. A month in and I have no regrets at all.

Atma likes this.
  9. Simon Evans

Simon Evans Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    From what i have read the RAM is soldered to the board and the vega chip can only support a maximum of 16gb. The SSD and battery can be replaced.
    That said the RAM is DDR4 2400mhz, which is faster than other rivals like the new surfacebook 2.

10. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations: