Spectre X360 15, 2018

Discussion in 'HP' started by crs1, Mar 14, 2018.

1. crs1

crs1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So excited to finally have the X360 I've been waiting for for over a year now. I had bought the late 2017 version during black Friday sales at bestbuy, but returned it once I found out the new model would include a num pad as well as in slight increase in battery size. My version includes the MX150 GPU which is fine for my needs.
    So far I love it! In the first 2-3 weeks I have not experienced any fan issues or overheating, it is not running hot, the trackpad doesn't include the sensitivity issues experienced with the late 2017 version, and includes the fingerprint login feature.
    I am keeping tabs of battery life with and without keypad lighting, while either surfing the web, streaming video both on screen and projecting to another screen, all with screen brightness around 30%. Have consistently gotten around 9-10 hours with battery saver on.

I initially noticed this on HP's site on Feb 24, well ahead of the anticipated Mach 18th date, so that was nice.
    Has anyone else gotten one of these newer models yet and if so how do you like it so far?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Atma likes this.
  2. Dim G

Dim G Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey crs1!
    I am really flirting with the idea of buying the Vega GPU one that will appear in about a month's time.
    Same model, just a different GPU (CPU GPU combo)
    The only thing that worries me is the screen hinges.
    Does the screen wobble at all while you type on it? How sturdy is it?
    Also, is the pen included?
    Thanks in advance!

3. Dim G

Dim G Newbie

Reputations:
    By the way, am I right to assume that we are talking about the 15inch version?

4. crs1

crs1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It is the 15" X360 yes...and I love it!

So I'm thinking that the wobble you're concerned about is when the keyboard is face down, screen facing you? I really have not tried typing on-screen in that configuration, however, the hinge seems really sturdy without making it difficult to maneuver. There may some wobble I'm thinking, just because you are pushing, however lightly, against A screen supported only at the hinge. You press at the top/middle, it will move slightly. Not a deal breaker for such a wonderful laptop. The first 2 weeks of ownership have been better than expected. Oh wait, there was one thing...the screen would sometimes, very slightly, brighten on its own, but not even 5 percent. Most people might not notice. I though it might be the adaptive lighting settings but that was turned off in advanced power settings. It did stop on its own several days later though.

Atma likes this.
  5. crs1

crs1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The pen is included, however , it is the battery operated one. I have used it briefly and it works fine, no lag.

6. redbullmaster

redbullmaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How's the sound on it, is it better than on the 2017 version?

Thanks

7. crs1

crs1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The sound not only is louder but also clearer. Separation also is very good I noticed. It's an upgrade over an already decent sounding 2017 model.

8. redbullmaster

redbullmaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for that, tempted but just want to wait and compare to dell's new two in one and there 9570 before I pull the trigger.

9. Dim G

Dim G Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks crs1.
    Regarding the screen wobble, I am more concerned if it is present while typing on the keyboard in actual laptop mode.
    I have seen some laptops with similar hinges having the screen really trembling while the laptop is on a desk and the user is normally typing on the keyboard.

10. crs1

crs1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No wobble at all in normal laptop mode. The screen stays put.