Spectre x360 13 (2018) - Any negatives to be aware of?

Discussion in 'HP' started by rexian, Jun 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rexian

rexian Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Didn't see any 2018 Spectre x360 13 owner's thread so questions for the owners' of 2018 model - are there any major known reliability issues with this model? Just placed an order (i7/16/512) with the $200 rebate and wondering if heat issues from 2017 model are still a concern (or any new issues introduced). It's still very early days for this model though...

Thanks!

hmscott likes this.
  2. ellswrth

ellswrth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Heat issues probably depend on your intended usage.

I have the unit you've ordered with the 4K screen, about five months old.

My main use in addition to email / surfing / office apps is development. I run Vagrant / Virtualbox or Docker containers (not possible to do both at once because one won't work with Hyper-V and the other requires it).

The machine has handled that load with no issues. It gets hot in places, and the fan comes on, but it's no louder than my Surface Pro and not objectionable to me.

I understand the machine can have coil whine but I've never noticed it.

Connecting peripherals through the Thunderbolt 3 ports is a crap shoot but I have a working setup now.

I use mine daily and haven't experienced any other random glitches or reliability issues.

hmscott and rexian like this.
  3. rexian

Reputations:
    Thanks ellswrth.

Was the problem caused by a thunderbolt or usb-c hub now that it works reliably? I'd be interested in what hub you have. From one unboxing video from another country I thought it'd come with a HDMI+USB-A hub but it appears HP ships with just an ethernet dongle in US.

4. dmivos

dmivos Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    1 Can you confirm if this is the hp spectre x360 13-ae013dx model?

2 Just wondering if they trimmed the bezels on 2018 4K version? or it still fat same as on 2017 version? could you please post the photo with white background?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  5. rexian

Reputations:
    The model is 1ZX32AV_1

I haven't received it yet - placed on 6/19 and it still says it'd ship on 7/6. So, tried to cancel it today to order another one as the price has come down a bit and the lady says it cannot be canceled once ordered and have to return :(