Sparks when placing battery..normal?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by TomMe, Mar 8, 2017.

1. TomMe

TomMe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

Whenever I place the battery in my Clevo W355SSQ laptop I can see some small sparks when the metal contacts of the battery and laptop touch each other. The laptop is not connected to the power outlet. I just wanted to know if this is normal? Perhaps others can check this?

I've had a lot of problems with this laptop over the 3 years since I bought it. The motherboard had to be replaced 3 times. After the last repair I experienced some random shutdowns but after removing some software that was causing BSODs this problem seems to have disappeared as well, no shutdowns for over 6 months. Fingers crossed..

Yet, I have had this battery problem since the beginning. My warranty is almost expired so I would like to know what to do about this.

Thank you for your input!

2. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hi @TomMe. :vbsmile:

It's not uncommon, but it's not ideal. You said you've had this battery problem since the beginning; does that mean you noticed this on previous motherboards?

Likewise. *fingers crossed* Shutdowns tend to be a hardware fault, though, so you may want to reach out to your reseller about it before your warranty is over and get their input.

3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I actually noticed this usually happened on my DM1.

4. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ???? ???????

Reputations:
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Just make sure the contacts are clean (be careful not to short the terminals on the battery of course).

6. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    This is scary but always make sure your laptop is not connected to AC power when putting in the battery... And keep the contacts between the battery and laptop clean!

7. TomMe

TomMe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Apologies for the late response, I am still alive.. Thanks to all for your input.

Yes, I have had these sparks with at least 2 different motherboards (I checked my notes). And if memory serves me correctly I have had this problem since the beginning.

I know. I reached out and they offered to replace the motherboard again, but they aren't the friendliest tech support out there. They messed up repairs in the past, damaged the case and they like to put the blame on their customers. Another repair might introduce new problems and I don't have the energy to deal with that anymore. I bought a new desktop PC because of all this and if my laptop shuts down again, maybe I can buy a new motherboard and replace it myself.. Or maybe I'll contact them again and see what they have to say..

Any suggestions on how to induce random shutdowns if there really is a hardware problem? Stress test the system? I stil have 6 weeks of warranty left..

Their support also told me that perhaps I might have damaged the system by using external hard drives that might have caused a short circuit. Is there any credence to that? I used my external drives on other systems without problems so far..

The laptop is also connected to an ungrounded (European) power outlet, as there is no other option. Might this be causing hardware issues? No problems with my other 2 laptops though..

Or perhaps both problems are related and the sparks from placing the battery have caused some damage to the motherboard?

Contacts are clean and I always disconnect from the outlet when I place batteries.

8. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Be detailed. If you never experienced any rhyme or reason to it, say so. If you did, say so; a common denominator makes troubleshooting easier. I recommend shipping the AC adapter if you do RMA things and ask them to check it, just to be safe (and bring up the sparks with the battery). With the last bit of your warranty remaining, you don't want to leave any wiggle room for variables.

An external drive can cause problems, but so rarely does one short anything through a USB connection. They may be trying to play their cards close to the vest─ understandable, but it's just reaching a little far.