Space News - Live and Recorded Video, Articles, etc

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hmscott, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    How to Land the Space Shuttle... from Space
    Bret Copeland
    Published on Nov 6, 2016
    Presented on Halloween (October 31st) at Stack Overflow’s 2016 Remote Meetup in Philadelphia. #PhillyCheeseStack
    If you want to try landing the shuttle for yourself for fun, try F-Sim http://www.f-sim.com/ (I have no affiliation... just a fan).

Sorry about the autofocus (we disabled it in later talks). Me running around on stage didn't help. As always, send complaints to Steve.

If you're interested in more details on reentry and landing, I also wrote an answer on Stack Exchange Aviation: http://aviation.stackexchange.com/que...
    ---
    This was one of nine "Tiny Talks" given over three days at the meetup. Every year, employees submit Tiny Talk ideas on a wide range of topics (some completely random and not company-related at all, like this one) and we vote on which ones we want to hear. So, thank you to my coworkers for voting me in.

Original proposal description I submitted for this talk:

Let's say you're traveling at about 17,500 miles per hour (28,000 km/h) in low earth orbit, your main engines are out of fuel, and it's your job to guide the spaceship through a fiery re-entry without burning up or skipping out of the atmosphere, navigate to your landing site, and arrive with just enough energy to make an unpowered landing on a runway which is halfway around the planet from where you started. And, of course, either you succeed on your first try, or everyone dies. So, no pressure…. In this talk, I'll show you how space shuttle designers, pilots, and autopilots managed to do just that.
    ---
    All real-life photos and videos (except the last slide) were produced by NASA. Everything that looks hand-drawn was done by me on a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet in ArtRage. Animations were done in After Effects. Between the concept, outline, script, artwork, animations, rehearsals, and editing, I spent somewhere around 200 hours over two months working on it. Very little time was spent researching. In case it wasn't obvious, I've been more than a little obsessed with the topic for years now.

3. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  4. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:

Attached Files:

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    CRS-15 Mission
    Starts @ 5:54, Launch 24:54

SpaceX
    Streamed live 2 hours ago
    SpaceX is targeting Friday, June 29 for an instantaneous launch of its fifteenth Commercial Resupply Services mission (CRS-15) at 5:42 a.m. EDT, or 9:42 UTC, from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. Dragon will separate from Falcon 9’s second stage about nine minutes and thirty seconds after liftoff and attach to the space station on Monday, July 2. An instantaneous backup launch opportunity is available on Sunday, July 1 at 4:54 a.m. EDT, or 8:54 UTC.

Both Falcon 9 and the Dragon spacecraft for the CRS-15 mission are flight-proven. Falcon 9’s first stage previously supported the TESS mission in April 2018, and Dragon previously supported the CRS-9 mission in July 2016. SpaceX will not attempt to recover Falcon 9’s first stage after launch.

6. hmscott

Reputations:
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    NASA TV Post Launch News Conference - Space X Falcon 9 Dragon CRS-15 ISS Resupply Ship
    Julian Danzer
    Published on Jul 4, 2018

8. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    The evolution of spacecraft cockpits: the 1960s to today
    The evolution of spacecraft cockpits the 1960s to today.jpg

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Discovery's Final Launch Captured by Multiple Cameras : NASA Space Shuttle Footage
    Space Videos
    Published on Jul 11, 2018
    The ascent of space shuttle Discovery from NASA's Kennedy Space Center on Feb. 24 2011 is shown from a number of unique angles recorded by multiple engineering cameras situated at and around Launch Pad 39A.

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    DEMOLITION | Historic twin towers at launch site at Cape Canaveral demolished Thursday morning
    ABC Action News
    Published on Jul 12, 2018
    The U.S. Air Force demolished two historic towers at Cape Canaveral on Thursday morning.