SOUND BLASTER X-FI MB5 + MODDED REALTEK DRIVERS V.6.0.1.7738 [WIN8 & WIN10]

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by mite_jan, May 2, 2016.

1. ColinMacLaren

ColinMacLaren Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. akakig

akakig Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,
    could you please upload your driver package?
    just make a zip-or rar of it :)

3. Zibri

Zibri Newbie

Reputations:
  4. epguy3

epguy3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well this guy came along and made special X-FI MB5 drivers for Win7, Win8.1 & Win10 that will work on any onboard audio chip, not just the Realtek ones:

https://dldolby.blogspot.com/2017/12/from-creative-sound-blaster-x-fi-mb5.html
    by the way, version 1.2.16.101 of the creative integration DLL files (mbapo232.dll & mbapo264.dll) are found in the v6.0.1.7751 Realtek audio driver from MS Update Catalog (this is a Win10 only driver - can't be used under Win7)

versions 1.2.16.102 and higher of those two MBAPO2 DLL files broke X-FI MB5 support with my old Realtek ALC861 and ALC887 audio chips on my PCs and caused the X-FI MB5 program to no longer recognize these Realtek chips as "supported" (meaning certain old Realtek chips got "locked out"), even with the already generated KGA activation files for the program. But v1.2.16.102 & greater of the Creative DLL files should continue X-FI MB5 support for most ALC892/899/900/1150 chips, the ALC25x chips on Dell Alienware 13 R2 laptop & ALC269 chips on certain Clevo/Sager laptops. X-Fi MB5 support for Realtek ALC1220 (this is a relatively new realtek audio chip) was added in v1.2.16.118 of the MBAPO2 dll files starting with the v6.0.1.7922 driver and first supported these hardware IDs for ALC1220 (listed in the HDXMB3H.inf file):

Code:
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_1220&SUBSYS_1458A0B6
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_1220&SUBSYS_1458A0B8

if you wanna continue x-fi mb5 support on older realtek audio chips (like what I had) or alc269 chips on other laptops beside Clevo, use a realtek driver version between 7503 (R2.77) and 7751.

5. epguy3

epguy3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    a new follow up - it turns out I was only "half" right. I got my realtek audio chip working with the x-fi mb5 program with the newest modded drivers that include newer versions of the mbapo232.dll and mbapo264.dll files.

the real problem was having way too many license files (with file extension "kga") stored in that \ProgramData\Creative\SoftwareLock\ folder. I got rid of many of them, reloaded the MB5 software and it suddenly recognized my realtek audio device. Seems like newer versions of the mbapo232.dll and mbapo264.dll files in the newer realtek drivers don't like having to process or check all those kga license files and that's why the MB5 program failed to support my realtek chip.

So yes, the MB5 software can work with any onboard realtek audio chip of any model (whether desktop or laptop) with the newer [and properly modded] drivers - just need to have only one kga license file present in that SoftwareLock folder. For the realtek chips I use, it seems to be just the ctlxs2q3x2.kga file. note that you can not use someone else's kga license file(s) made from another PC and you have to get or generate your own that works specifically on your machine.

let me know if the MB5 software works with different license file if MB5 is used in another region.

6. svefn

svefn Newbie

Reputations:
    i can't get X-FI MB3 to work on Windows 10 Fall 1709 update. Device not supported, even though it worked before the update on ALC1150 and without modding drivers whatnot.

however with modded realtek drivers 6.0.1.7747, X-FI MB5 worked for ALC1150. but i feel that MB3 SBX and virtual surround sounded better =/ i would like to get it working again, but i've tried so many drivers combinations and nothing worked. so maybe update 1709 buggered it.

anyway, just wondering if an actual Creative soundcard would be easier, if you want EAX / DirectSound3D support, virtual surround like CMSS-3D for headphones, or just use Razer Surround if you don't care about EAX/DirectSound.