Sooo advice on win7 support expiring in a month or so?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by hertzian56, Nov 21, 2019.

1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Uh well I think win7 monopolysoft support is ending soon I think. I was reading through the win10 tweaks thread and it's exhausting just to read through it lol I do have 2019 LTSC on my other laptop and easing into it but already had it "update" and restart right in the middle of installing a heavy cad program, wonderful. I mean it's feasible to just continue on with win7x64 ultimate right? What can really happen, it's not like I'm going to wake up the day after and my computer will explode. What about going to 8.1? Never used it at all though. Is the support that much of a blow? 3rd party firewall , vpn, browser plugins, bleepingcomputer virus stuff if I need it, what else? Linux isn't good for most games right? Any advice here?

2. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You might wake up one day and have ransomware installed, or just be a part of a botnet...

Driver support will cease to exist, so you will end up being stuck with some driver for ever.

Browser support might be deprecated as it was for Vista and XP.

Also, I dont know how you managed to have it reboot mid something, my Win10 never did that...
    Did you postpone a reboot for 10 days straight?

3. hertzian56

Reputations:
    I don't know what they'd ransom, the computer itself? I guess if they happened to compromise my external backups it might be a worry though. I do worry about drivers but as we can see there are still support for older OS too like XP,Vista in a lot of places. Mainly gpu related worries, so nvidia. Maybe printers but with those just put it on flash drive and print it elsewhere anyways. Browsers I'm not worried too much about but yeah I can see that. Idk I've got the programs I need for normal use and a lot of specialty ones, games would most likely be what the compatibility issue would be for.

My win10 install on my other laptop I rarely turn on so it must have been once I turned it on and had the internet win10 phoned home and updated, but yes right in the middle of installing a heavy cad program it went into the updating and restarting, it's not an out of the ordinary thing, I've read about this all over and it's one of the most hated parts about win10. I reinstalled OSO stuff and will just turn off the wifi switch when I'm installing in the future.

4. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Seems like a good measured article on it: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-7-end-of-support-guide.html

https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/419270-what-should-we-do-after-january-2020-a-27.html

Since this is a fixed laptop now that I've done the 980m thing the plan is to just keep it until the gaming aspect is a problem, maybe printer when I get one and it's a problem. It's not that I have a big problem with win10 I've been using it more on my other laptop since I picked up some work that utilizes it, I have the standard 3rd party control stuff on there I'm just not keen on going to an unstable OS and I'm just fine with what I have now on my main laptop.

I've noticed that a lot of the offline on my external drive programs I have had for years win10 just won't run bc they're not new enough like Daemon Tools, old portable CCcleaner so far. Found out I don't even need DT for mounting ISO's, didn't know it's built in to Windows since 8. Based on my typical usage the m6700 would be fine for 2-3 years+. So when I get something new I'd just move over.

5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Windows 7 isn't going to magically stop working.

Everything you do today will work the exact same way it does after support end, except no more security updates. Browsers such as Chrome, Opera, and Firefox will probably still support Windows 7 until 2021 or so.

Don't forget Windows 7 POSReady exists and is supported until October 2021. Maybe we will get the same thing happen where people spoof their systems as Windows POSReady 7 to get updates.

Windows 8.1 is the ultimate middle ground. Windows 8.1 + startisback or classic shell should give you the 7 experience with modern improvements.

Windows 8.1 is also supported until 2023.

I was running windows 7 on my M4800 but decided to just go to 10 and tweak it to my liking. All I do is use startisback and winaero tweaker.

huntnyc likes this.
  6. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Yeah it's really software based bc hardware ain't changing on this laptop. Would seem more natural just to go win10 since there are so many 3rd party free software to control it esp update control. Already got it on my backup laptop so getting used to it. Yup just sticking with win7 for the foreseeable future.

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Win 8.1 and the great driver support the coming years? Micro$lope sleep in same bed with all the hardware manufacturers.

--------------------------

8. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just on a side note... not sure what version of win10 you had when it randomly rebooted to update, but there have been fixes in the last one or two major releases to prevent this inconvenience from happening. I have win10 pro so it may be different from home versions but you can choose to pause updates easily or just disable windows update in services temporarily. Could you maybe look into settings -> update&security -> advanced options -> see if there is an option to "Restart this device as soon as possible when a restart is required to install an update. Windows will display a notice before the restart...." and whether this could possibly be checked? That would be the only time windows 10 would mess your install up this way as far as I can tell.
    Good luck on figuring out what to do with your win 7 machine ^^

9. hertzian56

Reputations:
    My Win7 machine works fine so don't worry about that, the hardware is still very competitive, all in my sig below.
    It's win10 LTSC 2019 which I think is still 1809, it didn't mess up the install as it started up and finished by itself once it restarted but it's an annoyance I could have done without. I have since researched and dl all the win10 update control 3rd party stuff, which really should not be necessary if I pay for and theoretically "own" it, but the megalomaniacs have decided I'm just a renter(that's the case in more and more things btw). Effem.

Raiderman likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    For those of us that do not care about Windows 7 support (I haven't for years) this is a non-issue. But, there may be a solution for those that do fret over it. MDL frequently has solutions for the stupidity of the Redmond Retards and this situation is no exception.

Someone found a way to bypass Windows 7 Extended Security Updates checks | gHacks.net

Posted by Martin Brinkmann on December 07, 2019

Someone discovered a way to enable Extended Security Updates on all machines running Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system.

Support for Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system ends after the January 2020 Patch Tuesday. Small businesses and Enterprises may extend support by up to three years for a price.

Devices or users that participate in the Extended Security Updates program need to install an update that verifies eligibility to receive updates after January 14, 2020. Extended Security Updates must be installed online on live systems; they cannot be integrated or installed offline, at least not right now.

Users on the My Digital Life forum discovered a way to bypass the Extended Security Updates check. The bypass works with Microsoft's test update but it is unclear if it will also work with "real" updates that the company releases after the January 2020 Patch Day.

All that needs to be done currently is to download a small archive from the My Digital Life forum and extract it. The package includes two batch files that enable or disable the bypass on the system, executable files, and the source.

Basically, what happens behind the scene is that verification checks return true all the time through manipulation of these checks.

One interesting aspect of the hack is that it enables support for all Windows 7 editions, even those that Microsoft does not want to support after January 14, 2020. In other words: Windows 7 Home, Starter or Ultimate editions would be able to receive updates provided by the Extended Security Updates program when the bypass is installed.

The developers plan already to extend support to Windows Vista and to support the POSReady 7 SKU which will receive security updates until 2024.

Bypass Windows 7 Extended Security Updates Eligibility | MDL

Long live Windows 7! May the Nazi control freaks rot in hell.