Sony X Series Official Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by dimension6, Oct 23, 2009.

1. David.P

David.P Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi nomsb,

not much traffic anymore in this thread, seems that most X owners have moved on to other devices...

Anyway, about the drivers problem. While I'm not sure about Windows 8 on the Vaio X, I do recall that I never was able to find a video card driver with video hardware acceleration for the X. It seemed that Intel never actually got around to even make one.

However this affected only things like video playback and scrolling in different modern browsers.

General Windows performance (like open and closing windows) definitely should not be a problem with the X.

It seems however that others also had problems with Windows 8 on the X:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/sony-x-series-official-owners-thread.429543/page-132

Sorry, that's all I can say for the time being.

Cheers
    David

2. bananapeel

bananapeel Newbie

Reputations:
    VAIO X Display is wide gamut,how does it show sRGB gamut accurately?I want to edit photo by the X,could anyone provide its ICC profile?

3. David.P

Reputations:
    Anyone tried Windows 10 on the X already?

I found that the new M$ Edge browser is an absolute KILLER, speed- and scrolling-wise, on my other laptop. Never seen anything like it on a PC.

Thanks for any experiences anyone has already with Win 10 on the X!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  4. Andil

Andil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey David, how did you get all the drivers for win 10? does it make the vaio x faster?
    Mine is getting really slow and I am think on upgrading to pro 11(if I found any :/ )

5. David.P

Reputations:
    No I have not tried Win10 on the Vaio X, so far only on my other, large notebook. There, the M$ Edge browser is amazing (apart from having dropped Cleartype).

Nowadays browsers are really the only thing that puts the X in question in my view. Therefore, Win10 and its new browser could open another decade (or so) of use for it :)

Not sure whether any special drivers will be needed. My hope is that Win10 runs out of the box.

6. Andil

Andil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    you are right about the browser David, I am struggling so much even with chrome! I am giving up on the X and my next choice would be the pro 11 but its not available in europe :(
    at the moment edge is only for win10, do you think M$ will make it compatible for win7??

7. David.P

Reputations:
    I use the k-meleon browser on the X at the moment. However I'm definitely going to try Win 10 soon. At present, there is no signs for the Edge browser coming for anything below Win 10!

8. bananapeel

bananapeel Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,I am VAIO X new user,I have used Win 10 about 2 months.
    Win 10 performs not better than pervious OS in the X.I heard Edge is fast,so I use it most time,but is slow especially switch tabs.later I used IE,it performs better than Edge.Now,Win 10 isn't mature,I want to MS can optimize better...
    here is a blog about Unofficial GMA 500 Driver Support website for Windows,the blog also writed his Win10 experience with Atom Z520.
    http://gma500booster.blogspot.it/

Last I have some questions wan to consult:
    1.my VAIO model is VPCX115KX/B,official site say Verizon Wireless Mobile Broadband BuiltIn,but why it does not have sim slot?
    2.this is VGP-AC10V4 photo on JP offical site,but why my AC adapter logo isn't VAIO,is SONY?or US version is different?
    [​IMG]
    3.VAIO X Display is wide gamut,how does it show sRGB gamut accurately?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  9. David.P

Reputations:
    Hi, interesting experience from your side. So you are saying that the Edge browser is not faster, hmm. What about scrolling? That should be better than anything else with the Edge browser.

About the GMA500 driver -- how does this work at the moment? Does it give the much missed hardware acceleration on the X finally?

Sorry about your other questions -- can't answer those unfortunately.

10. bananapeel

bananapeel Newbie

Reputations:
    I make a simple test,a same site,first click space key Edge will appears 0.8s blank,IE appears 0.3s blank.If constantly scroll,the gap will be more obvious.
    I am not understand the second question,but if I use system driver,the PC could not sleep,and video hardware slowly.So I must use GMA500 driver,still it will appears somes error now.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015