Sony X Series Official Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by dimension6, Oct 23, 2009.

1. smurfchang

smurfchang Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i encountered a problem when doing recovery. wonder if anyone has successfully did what i attempted to do. here's what happened:

many months ago, i installed a fresh copy of windows 7 on the x by removing the recovery partition and merging it and c drive into one. i have previously created an iso of the recovery disc since i do not have a portable dvd.

today, i wanted to recover my x to it's factory state using the the recovery disc iso. first, using iso-to-usb software, i managed to create a bootable disk on my sd card. however, i realized that x or in fact most laptops can't boot from sd card or other flash drives that use card reader interface.

next, i took my external usb hdd with already existing data and copied all the contents from the sd card into it. sure enough, when i restarted x, it booted from the external usb drive. here, i got the option to repair windows 7 or do recovery which i chose the latter. unfortunately, after few seconds of scanning, it reports that 'A recovery disc or partition cannot be found'. how is this so? anybody has any solution? i am thinking of getting a usb card reader and just boot from the sd card but i don't think there is any difference.

2. Unknown27

Unknown27 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for your response. Yeah you are right. I'll wait and see and if not then I'll pick one up for half of what they were sold for initially. Writing papers and managing a website should be fine for this little wonder. :D

3. Mr. B

Mr. B Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I scored one a couple weeks ago for $400... if you're patient you might find a more enticing deal.

4. Unknown27

Reputations:
    Yeah I actually found a guy who bought one from the Sony Style about a month and a half ago. They said it was the last model VPCX115KX/B and that he couldn't buy the extended warranty since the laptop was discontinued. It's only been used for 3hrs and comes with a sony cd/dvd external + original box and accessories for $700. I'm still torn on whether or not to buy it at less than half price or wait till after CES taking the risk that he might sell it by then. :cry:

5. Unknown27

Reputations:
    Does anybody have the AC-EYM90 AC adapter. Its a 9.5v and I noticed most X chargers are 10.5v but this came boxed in the X I just purchased and seems to work fine. Anyone else have this one? Is there a problem using a lower voltage? Thanks in advance guys.

6. matthias2468

matthias2468 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks so much for restoring faith into this community, Mr. B! :)

Long story short: I spent 10 hours (!!!) troubleshooting this issue, with lots of ppl in forums trying to help me. Finally I got the advice that fixed the issue: For some reason, possibly my backup imaging program (it's a guess, I'm not sure it was the cause, so I won't name it) may have messed with the System Reserved Partition which is necessary for S4 hibernation. The solution was to assign a drive letter to the System Reserved partition. Suddenly, hibernation was working again. It's a known but hard-to-find Win7 bug.
    Also, something messed my bluetooth drivers, showin an unknow bluetooth peripheral device for which my x would constantly seach a driver and then fail. The solution was to completely uninstall bluetooth and re-install again (downloading from Sony).

Hope this may help those who run into trouble and save them the worst case of troubleshooting I have had in years.

Regarding Opera, 11.60 has been crashing constantly. Note that going back to 11.52 entails problems with E-Mail in case you use this, so back up before downgrading. Opera versions are not generally downgrade compatible.

7. jeonghun

jeonghun Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello.

I made a custom EMGD 1.10 for vaio x. download available here (skydrive link)

it support same brightness as gma500 driver and brightness control too. (8 level)

I made it to play crayon physics on my vaio x, which game need opengl support. (and now it works well)

8. alavida

alavida Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Jeonghun,
    This is great news! Is there anything you're finding is not working properly (e.g., Adobe Flash, etc.)? Thanks.

9. jeonghun

jeonghun Newbie

Reputations:
    Youtube works properly. hibernate, dxva too.
    at least in my usage, no problems.

10. matthias2468

matthias2468 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Symantec NIS 2012 and various BSODs with ntkrpamp.exe (resp ntkrnlpa.exe), anyone?
    Vaio X Win7 32, using 2024 video driver.
    Thanks for feedback.