1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Sony X Series Official Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by dimension6, Oct 23, 2009.

1. dimension6

dimension6 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, just picked it up today here in Tokyo. I was surprised it was already in stock at Bic Camera. I wasn't planning to purchase it, but once I saw how incredible the engineering is and how nice the screen looked, I just couldn't resist! I'll post the unboxing photos later today...

2. laser21

laser21 Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Thanks! Hope you will like it!!

Could you please also try to play a 720p HD movie in Windows media player classic or BSplayer? Is it fluent?
    How warm does the vaio really get?
    How is the fan running? Just sometimes?

3. firebreather1

firebreather1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i'm expecting it to be fanless.

4. AndyGarton

AndyGarton Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm about to purchase an X series from the UK Sony Style online store but am unsure about the colour choices offered. They list black/carbon/gold. I want the matte black one mentioned in reviews as being more resistant to smudges and scratches. Does anybody know if this is the black one listed? Or carbon? Or maybe the UK doesn't get matte black?

5. Geeee

Geeee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Please post photos in all angles and gives a review. Thanks.

Carbon smudges, but looks very cool.
    So Black is what you want - its more matted.

6. coldmack

coldmack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My TT has carbon and I haven't noticed any smudges.

7. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agreed, Sony's upper-end Notebooks are top notch quality, build and engineering-wise, but the prices are "stratospheric"... particularly in the EU. Forget the X, I can't even get a TT for under €1,700... :-/

But hey, if you're liquid, go for it! Nothing like owning the best, is there... (not that I would know, lol :p )

8. dimension6

dimension6 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't gotten around to getting the media player installed yet, but seeing as I got 1080p video working perfectly on the 1.33Ghz VAIO P Series (using the Cyberlink codecs), it should be fine on this machine. I don't watch flash video, so that's not a problem for me. The bottom of the machine gets a bit warm, but not hot (unlike the P, which can get burning hot due to lack of a fan). There is a vent on the bottom of the machine that seems to be the intake for cool air, so be careful about covering this if you want a cool laptop. So far, the fan has almost always been running, but I've been pushing the machine hard installing everything.

There's a fan here, and I'd say that's a good thing considering how hot the P gets. It can get loud sometimes, but dies way down when the machine isn't being taxed. There was a BIOS update that "adjusts the fan control settings", according to the description in Japanese, and that seems to have made the fan a bit less aggressive.

The regular black one I got is very nice. It still shows smudges to some extent, but is better than my VAIO Z "premium" carbon lid.

I'll post the pictures as soon as possible.

The retail price here in Tokyo is 109,000yen, including tax (and I received 8% back through Bic's point system). I think this price is quite reasonable, considering the competition. The machine I got has the following specs:
    • 1.86Ghz Z540
    • Windows 7 Home Premium (I entered my Ultimate key for the Anytime Upgrade)
    • 2GB RAM
    • 64GB SanDisk SSD (benchmarks to follow)
    • Wireless WAN with GPS (Gobi 2000, if I remember correctly)
    • "L" Battery, good for "up to 8 hours"

The battery is definitely removable, and can probably be replaced with the "S" battery if needed. I'm not sure why anyone would get the "S" battery, since the "L" battery is flush with the bottom of the notebook. I bet Sony sells an "S" battery so they could say how lightweight this thing is.

One other thing I noticed is the fact that this seems to have an International Warranty, which is definitely a first from Sony Japan. When i get around to it, I'll read the details to see exactly what the conditions are.

9. Stephen.Gazard

Stephen.Gazard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can someone clear up some confusion I have on the batteries - I have ordered a customised UK model with the 4 hours battery life

Battery life up to 4 hours [Surcharge: - £ 30.0 ]

I assume this is the 'flush fitting'

There is an 8 hour one which I assume is the extended one that sticks out of the bottom like a laptop stand ... which defeats the purpose of the whole laptop in my mind ....

Does anyone have a definitive answer on the batters (with pics if possible?)

10. laser21

laser21 Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Thanks dimension6 for all your observation. Looking forward to the ssd benchmarks. The warranty is interesting for us - foreign buyers. If it is international, I would get one from Japan :)

Thanks