SONY VAIO

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Supermex, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supermex

Supermex Newbie

Reputations:
    Good Afternoon, All,

I have a PCG-GRV680 and the present video card does not allow Far Cry and Splinter Cell - Pandora Tomorrow will not run because the present video card has 32 MB of ram (shared) and the games require 64 MB of ram to run.

Any solid recommendations on an appropriate video card to purchase so that I will be able to play these games? Any assistance would be most helpful and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars....

Thanks so much,

Supermex

2. Underpantman

Underpantman Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

Sorry dude but your stuffed. Currently there are only a v.small number of notebooks that can have their GPU upgraded. Dell XPS, and alienware!
    To play those games effectively you will need a new laptop with a dedicated GPU, not an integrated one that shares memeory, and I would suggest going for an ATI 9600/9700 or Nvidia Fx5700go for best results.
    Although this doesn't really help you much, unless you have a large wallet.
    Sorry again
    a
    [:0]

3. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    Well, at least buying a new notebook is a simple answer to this problem if nothing else [:)]

Hopefully as time goes by notebooks will become more modular and configurable in terms of graphics cards down the road. Even in the case of the Dell Inspiron xps you have to mail the notebook back to dell to get an upgrade...so even that's not easy.

4. Slat

Slat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by abaxter

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  5. palizzz

palizzz Newbie

Reputations:
    howdy all,

I can *definitely* attest to the fact Far Cry won't even run on a Sony PCG-GRT260G (video chipset is the Nvidia GeForce FX Go5600). In addition, Deus Ex 2, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow will not run. Battlefield: Vietnam is pretty crumby too (you'll have to turn down resolution/detail for it to run... even then, it's choppy).

It's a shame, because the GRT260 has a beautiful UXGA (ultra-bright) screen. DVD's look great, and the games that do run on it (e.g. Counterstrike, Rainbow Six 3) look pretty sharp.

*shrugs*

Selling mine, getting a Sager 8790 or Dell XPS (tho I wish they offered a 16 or 17inch screen!).

6. Slat

Slat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by palizzz

7. palizzz

palizzz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have 1 GB or RAM. Man, sorry-shoulda read your sig before posting :) (also, I've read other PCG GRT owners complaining about the same thing, that those games didn't run).

What drivers are you using? My driver version is 4.3.6.4 (dated May 2, 2003). Where would you suggest grabbing the latest drivers from? (any ATI/Omega like drivers out there for the 5600 chipset?)

I believe the resolutions I tried were 800x600/1024x768. With Fry Cry, it installed but when trying to run it, the graphics were pretty messed up. With Deus Ex2, dark gray screen... all the sounds were there but that was the extent of gameplay. With Halo, same thing as Deus Ex2.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

8. Slat

Slat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by palizzz

9. palizzz

palizzz Newbie

Reputations:
    You ROCK!!! thanks a bunch. Got it updated, going to head home and try these bad boys out again ;) (also grabbed a new audio driver too).

Thanks again,

Pz

10. Slat

Slat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Let me know if that works out for you. As mentioned, I run that same driver and everything works fine for me. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Sony GRT270-16.1" UXGA; P4 2.8GHz; 1GB RAM; 80GB HD; DVD+-RW; 64MB Geforce 5600; XP Pro

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.