1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Sony Vaio Z "sticky", squeaky keys & doubled type

Discussion in 'Sony' started by -Tj-, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xand

xand Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone who has an asia pacfic Z have the problem?

2. mith500

mith500 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    had my z27gn (asia pacific model) for a month so far no problems.
    fingers crossed

3. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    There are problems with the touchpad whenever the machine is really busy, especially when indexing or making snapshots. A workaround is to bump up the priority of the three "Alps" processes from "Normal" to "Above normal", but this has to be done after each login.

4. ellipses

ellipses Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all

I am located in Asia- Singapore. I was planning to get VGN-Z26GN/B after xmas..but after reading this threads i am not so sure now. Is it a 'global' defects from Sony? I dont want to pay a premium price and end up getting frustrated. Double type is really not acceptable. Do the Asia's Z series suffers from the same fate?? Hope someone from the region can shed some light. Meanwhile i pop by a local Sony Style Shop and chk it this out.

Thank you.

5. Michael Cuthbert

Michael Cuthbert Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As I wrote earlier: doubled keys seem to be (mostly) disappearing as a problem for me. Either I've learned to type "properly" on this laptop, or its fixed itself. The issue with the left shift key seems to happen very often now, and seems to be a problem whenever I don't press it in the center: since I often just hit the top right corner of the shift key, that's a major problem, but pressing on the lower-left corner of the key seems to help the problem a little bit.

(slightly off topic, but related to input problems): I was also having more and more problems with clicking (esp. right clicking): turns out that boosting the priority of apntex and apoint solves the problem (but needs to be done anew with every login). Does anyone know if both of these programs should actually be running simultaneously?

6. xand

xand Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Get the Z27 :)

(mith500 and I have one each - his appears to be fine at least as of the date of his post. Mine is okay today, but the Z2* are pretty new, so.)

7. Michael Cuthbert

Michael Cuthbert Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In case anyone else has problems with the pointer not responding, here's a script that changes the priority of the processes. save as a .vbs file and put it in your startup directory and it should do the trick (substitute HIGH for ABOVE_NORMAL if need be):

Const ABOVE_NORMAL = 32768
    Const HIGH = 256

strComputer = "."
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colProcesses = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = 'Apoint.exe'")
    For Each objProcess in colProcesses
    objProcess.SetPriority(ABOVE_NORMAL)
    Next

Set colProcesses = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = 'ApntEx.exe'")
    For Each objProcess in colProcesses
    objProcess.SetPriority(ABOVE_NORMAL)
    Next

8. fruit45

fruit45 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    anyone have a wobbly key? my 'a' key tilts to the right. would sony help me out with this? thanks

9. GodOfSqueakyKeys

GodOfSqueakyKeys Newbie

Reputations:
    Sticky keys can be fixed...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=4421969#post4421969

See above thread the short version is this:

1) pop key off key retainer
    2) remove key retainer
    3) inspect key retainer (if it does not swivel freely...)
    4) lubricate retainer
    5) wipe away excess fluid
    6) replace key retainer on keyboard
    7) replace key

That should solve one problem - i don't know about double type...
    There are illustrations from an external site linked to in the other thread, follow the link above if you're not sure about terms here.

10. fmichelin

fmichelin Newbie

Reputations:
    I have had the repeating keys problem on a Sony VGN-Z540 and it is annoying. I exchanged the computer and I tested several others at the store. It's an innherent problem. I type almost 100 wpm.

11. jgottschlich

jgottschlich Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone -

I also have this problem. I own a VGN-Z610Y and get the double type a good deal. I also type fast. I type in Dvorak and average 80-100 wpm.

I'm also a computer engineer and think the problem may be the "debouncing" algorithm in the hardware. Debouncing is the process of identifying when a keystroke occurs and when it ends. If a debouncing algorithm signals the end of a keystroke too quickly, it'll see 2 keystrokes since the user hasn't lifted their finger from the key yet.

What is interesting is that when debouncing algorithms are wrong, they *usually* wrong when the user is typing too quickly, not too slowly. I know it sounds weird, but it's true.

Unfortunately, I only know the theoretical aspects to debouncing, I've never actually implemented keyboard debouncing. However, I would suspect that if someone elevated this issue to the computer engineers building the Z's and mention they have a "DEBOUNCING ERROR" they might understand the problem and perhaps be able to fix it with a software patch. This is, however, pure speculation, I don't know any of the details regarding the actual implementation of Z's microarchitecture.

I have tried to contact Sony myself, but never seem to get anywhere with their tech support. So, good luck if someone pursues this.

12. mvandor

mvandor Newbie

Reputations:
    Just bought a Vaio VGN-FW290 and have the problem of duplicate entries on random keystrokes. Tried adjusting software for keyboard to NO avail.

Oddly, my wife has the 17" version of the same notebook and hhas (duplicate keystroke NOT intended but left as an example) NO such problem.

It would seem Sony would respond properly with a fix.

13. mvandor

mvandor Newbie

Reputations:
    Update: Sony had me remove the keyboard from device manager and reboot to reinstall the driver. No change. Had me do a system restore. No change. Wanted me to do a C drive restore and lose my data and programs, told them I'd return the notebook and buy a Toshiba before I'd waste three days I spent transitioning to the new Vaio.

Then they had me do a BIOS reset. Seems to have at minimum reduced if not eliminated the issue. I would offer that as a suggestion.

Basically, on reboot hold down the F2 key to access BIOS and choose reset to default and enter and exit and save and enter.

14. jgottschlich

jgottschlich Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone -

I have a partial solution that seems to work for Windows XP.

I'm going to try mvandor's suggestion by resetting the BIOS and see what happens. However, I have used a partial solution for several days now and I have minimized the problem to occurring once every hundred words or so.

The solution is very easy: use filter keys.

To use filter keys, simply:

(1) go to the control panel
    (2) click on accessibility options
    (3) click "Use Filter Keys" and then go to its "Settings"
    (4) select "Ignore quick keystrokes and slow down the repeat rate"

Note: DO NOT choose "Ignore repeated keystrokes" as this option makes typing words with repeated letters such as "door" impossible.

(5) Select "Slow down keyboard repeat rates"
    (6) I use the repeat delay of 0.3 seconds and repeat rate of 0.3 seconds, the fastest setting I can use.

This solution does have the side-effect of preventing fast repeating keystrokes, such as holding down the down arrow to scroll through an email or what not ... so it is not "ideal" by any means, but it does seem to work effectively.

15. jgottschlich

jgottschlich Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone -

I take it back, Filter Keys do not solve the problem. Weirdly enough, the problem still occurs when Filter Keys are in place. This is doubly weird since Filter Keys are supposed to prevent double typing for a certain peroid of time.

Also, I tried mvandor's BIOS suggestion and the double type problem seemed to be minimized for a day or so, but then things went back to normal.

So, that's two solutions that don't work.

16. jgottschlich

jgottschlich Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone -

Here's an update on my latest status.

(1) I sent the Z back to Sony for repair. They replaced the keyboard and cable and then sent it back to me.

(2) The problem started occurring immediately. Replacing the keyboard and cable did not fix the problem.

(3) I've called Sony again and they are taking the laptop back a **second** time to try to fix it. I've explained to them that I am rather unhappy about having them try to fix the same problem twice, but I'm going to try this one more time.

(4) I've posted a video on youtube comparing the keyboard behavior of my old laptop to the Z. It clearly shows the problem is the Z, not the typing. Here's the link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWFzkfI0AdM

I'm hoping Sony is going to fix the laptop correctly this time. If they don't, I'm probably going to request they replace the laptop with a new one, one last time before I file a lawsuit in small claims, like this guy:

http://weblog.infoworld.com/gripeline/archives/2008/05/suing_sony.html

17. magicmac

magicmac Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys!!

I've bought a Z590 and I'm having the same problem: double keys most of the time! :mad:

Anyway, I was thinking about returning this GREAT Notebook just because of that. However, after reading jgottschlich's message and the difficulties he had, I decided to fix the problem. By the way, I can't find a better notebook for my needs so that's enough motivation to build a "10 minute program".

So here's a little program (3KBytes, assembled with MASM) that will fixes the issue. At least that is true on my Z. I've been using it for two weeks and yes, it works well (fixes double-type the problem!).

Check it out and let me know if it works for you guys. Just run the program and minimize it (it will stay on the notification area).

If you can, post me feedback about how it worked on your Z Series! Of course, the program should work with any PC that has the double-type problem!

Download ZEchoFix
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/223252686/zechofix.zip
    Thanks,
    MagicMac.

Attached Files:

18. jgottschlich

jgottschlich Newbie

Reputations:
    MagicMac -

We owe you so big!!! This is working perfectly. And I know it's working correctly because when I disable your program, the double type returns immediately.

Since using your program, I *cannot* reproduce the double type scenario that I demonstrate in my YouTube video.

If you have a paypal account, I'd like to make a donation to you for fixing this nightmare. I'd also like to see your source code, if you are cool with that.

You can email me at justin@nodeka.com to discuss this off the forums.

Thanks again MagicMac, this is a superb fix. It's working flawlessly. We are all indebted to you.

Cheers,
    Justin

19. KiD0M4N

KiD0M4N Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey... I cannot believe we have a solution at the LAST page of this 16 page thread!

I was considering buying myself a http://www.sony.co.in/product/vgn-z36gd (I am from India, just in case you are wondering) but my opinion about the laptop started deteriorating as I read the reports on this page.

But you come as a savior my man.

Please do post the source code... I want to see how you approached this problem :)

20. james2312

james2312 Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear magicman,

thanks a lot for your program. I will be posting my experiences with my laptop, which I did not have yet. Why not? The reason is very clear, after reading about the double-key issue I did not want to accept to live with it. Well now it is time to go for it. I hope mine will not have the problem but if this happen you gave us the solution. I am wondering why sony 9 months after launching the notebook and knowing the issue is not fictitious or imaginary did not fix the problem yet.
    Again, thanks a lot and all the best to you,

James

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.