Sony Vaio Z "sticky", squeaky keys & doubled type

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by -Tj-, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KiD0M4N

KiD0M4N Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I hope Magicmac doens't mind me doing this, but I went through the code and see that he is discarding repeated strokes within 100 msec of each other.

Side effect is that you can get a max of 10 repeats in a second. Not a big deal really.

We can probably have a more sophisticated solution based on the same principle :)

2. bjornb

bjornb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The asus eee pc also has a similar double key problem. The fix there was adjusting some accessibility settings. It may work here as well:

Go to Control Panel\Ease of Access Center
    -Make the keyboard easier to use
    -Turn on filter keys (and adjust settings).

These setting are for windows XP, but it looks the same for Vista:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=364796#p364796

3. magicmac

magicmac Newbie

Reputations:
    @jgottschlich --> Thanks a lot, man! :) No donations needed. Your message was my motivation to code it, and it was a "10 minutes program".

@james2312 --> Of course, go for it! It is a very good notebook (without this double type issue).

@KiD0M4N --> Thank you! I don't have problems with binary debugging but here's the source code so you don't have to IDA/Olly.

@bjornb --> I did not try your solution. Have anyone tried? The other solutions posted here (tweakingthe KeyRepeatDelay) didn't work for me. Thanks anyway! :)

Again, this is a program built in 10 minutes. That means that it can be MUCH BETTER, but I did not invest more time in it because it fixed the problem and there's (for me) only one side effect: if you keep a key pressed, it won't be repeated as fast as if the program were not there. Anyway, this side effect can be easily fixed too. If somebody else want to take the source and make it better, great! Post it here also. :)

How it's done:

1) It is using the LowLevelKeyboardHook instead of regular hooks, so we don't need to inject a DLL in every process. That saves A LOT of memory.

invoke SetWindowsHookEx, WH_KEYBOARD_LL, LowLevelKeyboardProc, hInstance, 0

2) This is the pseudocode:

if (pressedKey == lastpressedKey && timeElapsed < 100 msecs)
    {
    Neutralize_KeyPress()
    }

That's it.

Code:
    Source Code (and executable)
    http://rapidshare.com/files/223593045/zechofix_source.zip

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot, guys! :) I'm happy that it worked well for you! :)
    MagicMac.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  4. KiD0M4N

KiD0M4N Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yup.

Kind of what I had thought you were doing :) Sweet... :)

I will see if I can expand on it a little bit :)

5. zendar

zendar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    rep added all round

6. KiD0M4N

KiD0M4N Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I have written the tool now. Please download and let me know if all is right. Allows you to customize the filter as well.

Regard,
    Karan

7. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone exerenced the opposite problem on the Vaio Z keyboard? Since day 1, I get missing key presses from time to time I'm not a fast typer, but it seems like sometimes they keyboard lags and cant keep up with my typing. I can even see that it trails by a splitsecond sometimes and that's when misses usually hapen. I can verify this by holding a ky down and watching it lag as it auto repeats. If I am typing quickly, it happens almost once a sentence or so on average I'd say. On the flip side if I type slowly and deliberately, it almost never happens. It seems worse on some websites like this one, but that may justbe subjectve.

It's almost as if Sony implemented a stealth fix for the problem on this thread and went too far.

Anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on what to try to fi it?

8. coreycreed

coreycreed Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, I am having the complete opposite problem. My "G" key in particular seems to never work whenever I type a word quickly. If it ends in "g", it gets lopped off. Please contact me if you ever hear of a fix.

I don't know if the ideas above will work or not.

Corey Creed

9. davidmd

davidmd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

yea it really almost sounds like sony discretely put out a fix but is not working properly.. i am having similat issues.. :(

10. lbcheng

lbcheng Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I noticed this problem very early and never heard of a solve. The only advice others who had encountered the same problem was, "You'll get used to it." No, I won't and I haven't. That, along with the lack of a dedicated pgup/pgdn key and end/home keys are deal killers if I could go back and rethink my purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.