1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Sony Vaio Z "sticky", squeaky keys & doubled type

Discussion in 'Sony' started by -Tj-, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Tj-

-Tj- Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same problems I've been having with the Z's keyboard.

Squeaky Space Bar:
    I've noticed after using the machine for a few weeks that the space bar has become extremely squeaky when pressed on the right side during typing. It's become very annoying and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I'm guessing a little wax or grease of some sort in the spot that squeaks will fix it, but I've never taken the thing apart (yet).

Double Type:
    One of the really big annoyances I've been having is that a lot of the keys often double up while I type. It seems to happen quite often, as though each key is typing an additional letter on the up stroke as well as the down stroke. I've tried modifying the key repeat rate, but that doesn't help. It's primarily on the left side, but I do type differently on both my left and right hands, and it happens more often on the left side.

EDIT: This YouTube video shows what happens with the double type issue (thanks Human668):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWv1AXnNLl8

Sticky "S" Key:
    One of the more common keys I use on a daily basis is the "S" key. In Softimage|XSI (3D modeling application, for those who don't know of it), it's used as the primary navigation key, and it's held down more than any other letter. On top of this, it's also part of the WASD configuration for FPS games. Since this area of the keyboard gets very hot under stress, could it be possible that something under this key has started to deteriorate? It sounds like the way your shoes sound when you walk around in a dirty theater, where someone had spilled soda or something, and only on the up stroke.

Anyone else having these problems?

2. StrongerThanAll

StrongerThanAll Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    nope, maybe there is humidity on where ur using ur computer =\

3. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    I am aware of one person before you complained about the double type issue or something similar.

4. uniquestco

uniquestco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Same here, my Space Bar is sqeaky too, I thought it was only me with this problem, it's surprisingly irritating ...

if anyone finds a solution please post

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is some humidity, yes, but all of the above happen every day, no matter what the humidity level is.

PhilFlow: That wasn't me who mentioned it in the Z Owners' Thread, was it? :p 'Cause if it was, it probably just means I need more time to get used to this puppy... (but surely a month of constant, daily use should suffice)

6. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    No it was someone who started a separate thread if I remember correctly, he was a fast typer who had similar problems.

7. InfyMcGirk

InfyMcGirk while(!(succeed=try()));

Reputations:
    I noticed my backspace key squeaked the other night but it only seemed to do it when I hit it on the leftmost edge...

I haven't experienced either double type or sticky keys, though (thankfully!).

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok. In that case I'm sort of glad I'm not alone. I'm a pretty fast typist as well, so having to double back on what I typed just because the keyboard typed two of the same letter is really hindering. I tried to look for that thread but couldn't find it, so hopefully that person will chime in regarding this situation.

I'll leave all the doubled letters typed by the keyboard by mmistake in further posts so evveryone can see how often it occurs, and also as a gauge to see which letters occur most often (haven't checked on it before, but in this post it seems to happen most often on V and M).

My space bar is pretty mmuch the only one that does it, but it seems like it only does it when I hit it on a certain point, near the center/right area of the key, like if you were to divide it into 4 parts, it'd be 3/4 from the left. On yours is it an area that you hit often, or just evvery now and again? I'm pretty much hitting the space bar in the same spot every time.

9. D1330HI

D1330HI Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My cursor was jumping causing me to type in different areas and also double type because I was touching the touchpad - I installed touchfreeze - if you search it you will find the driver. I installed it on my Z and type away without errors..

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's an option in the mouse properties under the Tapping tab that turns off taps when typing, which I have on (works well). For the most part, my hannds have gotten used to the location of the touch pad, so I know that's not the source of my double type problems. I also tried turning down the repeat rate, which I like to have sset at maxximum, but even that didn't help.

It's really weird, 'cause I'll be typing normally, then when I stop to type just one key, ssometimes it'll double the letter up for no apparent reason, like the "S" in "sometimes" in this sentence. It's enough to drive one mad, I tell you! lol

11. D1330HI

D1330HI Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I also use the tapping tab set in the middle. but with touch freeze, I can blaze away at typing and never have to look back..I do not have the double letter problem.. good luck, hope you don't have to reinstall. lol.

12. sounddust

sounddust Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I type relatively fast (~95 wpm) and I haven't had any of the problems you mention. I wonder if it has to do with 1) CTO vs Non-CTO (I have a non-CTO) and/or 2) being in various humidity/temperature environments (My Z has been at normal humidity and between 14-21° C during the entire time I've had it). I could see expanding/contracting plastic contributing to this type of issue, something that Sony hopefully tested before shipping.

But hopefully it's just a software problem!

13. InfyMcGirk

Reputations:
    Well the night I noticed it, it seemed to be the most often hit spot as I got a squeak almost every time I used the backspace key. But I hadn't noticed it again until I saw your post, so maybe it was a one-off for me? I'll keep an eye on it and report back if it starts squeaking again.

Still no issues with double typing though. Are you using XP or Vista, by the way?

14. dadoes

dadoes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you sure you or somebody in your family didn't spill something into the keyboard.

I have no problems with sticky or squeaky keys with my Z.

15. InfyMcGirk

Reputations:
    I can't talk for Tj but I'm 100% sure nothing got spilt into my Z's keyboard before I got the squeaky backspace key. But it's not squeaking at the moment either (I just tried tapping it on all sides many times and not a hint of a squeak!)... :confused:

16. 7evendeuce

7evendeuce Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had the squeaking problem with a brand new desktop keyboard before - not with this Z though. May be a mildly defective keyboard..

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm sure nothing got spilled on it. I'm the only one who uses this computer and I baby it. :)

"S" is the only key I have the sticky problem with, since that's the one key that's constantly held down while the machine iss under full stress. Also, the space bar is the only key that squeaks, and ssincce it'ss one of the most oft pressed keys (and in the same spot, most of the time) it makes it feel like the squeak is attributed to wear and tear before its time.

Does anyone know what the proper proccedure is to separate the keys from the board? I saw one post a while by someone who had a couple of keys popping off their keyboard involuntarily... I don't want that to happen to me if I start taking the keys off the wrong way.

>_< I hope I don't have to reinstall the OS lol. I'm neck deep in work and can't afford to take the time to reinsstall all my software and everything...

18. jkwireless

jkwireless Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm getting the repeating key problem. I thought it was just my typing style, but it's happening far too often. I do not have any sticking or squeaking keys. When I first started noticing this, I tried to tell myself that it was me as I don't have time to send in the computer tto be fixed. However, it's really annoying when you are filling outt a form with your name, or entering in an activation key that must be exact. Spell check catches most errors, but this is a bit disappointing.

(note that I left a few of the double characters in this message mostly t's here as an example of the frequency.) Ugh.

19. Takashi

Takashi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    this is not good... i've only had it for a week or two, and i haven't had any of the problems mentioned here. but it sounds like people who have had the laptop for a while are noticing it more.

sign of things to come?

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know if it's a "sign of things to come," but you might want to watch for some of them. The squeaky key didn't start happening till a while after I had it, maybe a couple weeks or so, but the doubled letters were happening from the very start.

Like jkwireless I thought it was just me not used to the keyboard, but it kept happening, and still keeps happening.

The weird thing is it doesn't happen all the time. Like today, while I'm typing this, I'm not getting any of those double letter problems. It almost makes it seem like a software problem when I say it that way, but I really don't know. On rare occasions, I'll even somehow manage to type three of the same letters in a row! :eek:

I don't think too many people will notice the sticky key either, since it mainly only happens on my most oft pressed key. My assumption is that some part under the key (those rubber-ish things) may have gotten worn out a bit from the heat and constant pressure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.