Sony Vaio Z i5/i7 (VPCZ1) Official Owners Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Digitalfiend, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walter K

Walter K Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello all,
    My Vaio Z with 256GB ssd inside (4x64GB Samsung) is showing a failure of one 64GB disk.
    I already have installed a HDD in drive place. If i install there a standard ssd - can i configure the Sony laptop in bios so that it starts from that additional disk? To avoid to replace defect Sony ssds with expensive small m-Sata disks.
    And to remove the 256GB Samsung ssds completely? As i have safed all my system data... that would be easy way to install new on additional disk.

2. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You still have 3 working 64gb ssds so set up a 192gb raid array on them. You want your os and apps on ssd fast storage not hard drive. In fact this was my original z1 config before i upgraded to 512gb.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Walter K likes this.
  3. Walter K

Reputations:
    Okay, sounds logical - Thank you!! I have system backup - at present WIN7 do not start with a new one. How can i get "rid" of this specific ssd? In bios i do not see an option. Making new clean install with my backup will provide me the option to choose right 3 intact mini-ssds?

4. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is a separate shortcut at boot to enter the raid BIOS, CTRL-I. Then set up the new array and restore the backup. Have you considered it might just be a connection problem? Perhaps reseating the ssd connectors will reenable the 4th ssd. I am curious whether you will 3 or 4 drives in the raid bios.

5. Walter K

Reputations:
    So now i get no error message as before - running the win on board test. And i do not find an option here to change from 4 to 3 SSDs. I assume that is possible if i make fresh WIN instal again - choosingrepair from full backup does not give me that option in menu. So my laptop is kidding me + working again - only let the lowest repair option worked from WIN dvd... Before problems to start... New backup is still not possible, nothing starts - maybe 2nd problem. Okay have an older one working.

So as i understand - if i start complete fresh instal - i can choose only 3 of 4 SSDs. So that is my safety policy if one fails now.

Have to wait for error again... :rolleyes::cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  6. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So your system is listing all drives now. One of them could still be bad. If you switch to AHCI I think you could run a utility to check SMART status on each drive to find any failed one. If none really failed just switch back to RAID and restore your backup. Then open the computer to reseat the connections. If one failed set up a raid array with 3 drives and restore backup.

7. Walter K

Reputations:
    yes also CrystalDiskInfo lists all 4 drives and marks then "good". Regarding their age maybe good result. Since i repaired with Win dvd, system starts normal and show no error message at begin. As i still can not use Win backup - does not start - i will try to install last backup at weekend + hope to safe it then completey at latest status.

The error message for disk 3 appeared before Win started. I am not sure if that was tested by Laptop Bios or by Windows tools. Maybe had problems with Win system files...

Attached Files:

8. Walter K

Reputations:
    So I was able to enter the menu for Raid disks - with STRG-I. As I am watching now he error mnessages regarding disk 3 of the 4 mini ssds more frequently.

So I would have now to delete the current Raid Volume. After i can create a new Raid with 3 Samsung ssd's only - to left out the one disk in Port 3? After doing it I can make standard WIN7 backup repair with my latest full backup?

(PS:

If I attach in Poert o a 1TB SSD - can i install WIN7 there and automatically starting my laptop from this disk. If I choose in Bios external and dvd (I assume that is port 0) at first place? Problem is i have a virtual OSC running too and need more space.)

Thanks, Walter

Attached Files:

9. acinr

acinr Newbie

Reputations:
    @guho can you help me? I bought new wwan modem sierra mc7304 and I would like to do upgrade my vaio vpcz. I had modem 3g gobi2000 and it very good worked but now I change my wwan on 4g. This wwan mc7304 doesn`t work. My operating system (windows 7 64bit) doesn`t see it. I changed my bios on advanced menu bios.
    I don`t speak English very wel.

10. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    so you have to uninstall the gobi 2000 drivers. install mc7304 drivers from source.sierrawireless.com. Also in vaio smart switch enable wwan so it becomes visible in the device manager.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.