]]>

Sony Vaio Z i5/i7 (VPCZ1) Official Owners Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Digitalfiend, Aug 23, 2010.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    @guho: can you please clarify : if one had a vpc-z13 with originally installed 3G wwan does that mean the unit has a Gobi 2x2 antenna and does it mean, further, that in order to have 4G LTE capability you need both the Sierra Wireless 3x3 antenna to swap out for the Gobi but also need the MC7355 you describe above?

May I troublr you to provide an explanation as to how to achieve the 3G to 4G upgrade in step-by-step fashion for someone who has never worked with WWAN antennae and the like - essentially, a guide for "Dummies," to be overly kind to myself? ;)

2. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the stock antennae. They appear to have good reception for lte. The mc7355 has 2 antenna connectors used for data not 3. The 3rd is for gps but gps can also be configured to use the 2nd data antenna. So no need to do anything to your stock antennae.

3. lovelaptops

Reputations:
    Thanks guho. Sorry for my ignorance, but could you possibly explain as if you were talking to a moron (!) exactly what I need to do with my VPC-Z13 with 3GWWAN (US version) to enable it to receive 4GLTE? Specifically what part(s) do I need to get, where do I need to replace things inside the computer and what, if any, arrangements do I need to make with AT&T (my carrier) to enable this laptop to have 4GLTE capability rather than the 3G it presently has.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to educate a nimrod such as myself. It happens that WWAN components have always mystified me, even more than most things do! ;)

4. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. Download copy of vpcz1 service manual. 2. Order mc7355. 3. Backup computer. 4. Uninstall gobi2000 drivers and software. 5. Replace gobi 2000 by mc7355. Use the outer 2 antenna connectors and leave the middle one unused. 6. Install mc7355 drivers from sierra wireless developer site. Install sierra aircard watcher. I use 3974 from Panasonic wireless carrier page since newer ones did not allow me to change gps to msbased. In options activate at&t firmware. Then connect to att 4g lte. This is enough to get you going and i can supply further instructions for getting fast gps fix once you get there.

zimbros12 likes this.
  5. mobytoby

mobytoby Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks! I found the EU version at techship.se

6. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The EU versions are mc7305 (no voice) or mc7304 (with voice) right?

7. lovelaptops

Reputations:
    I can't thank you enough - that was just the kind of "hand-holding" I was hoping for! I'll get the part (do you have a suggested vendor?) and follow your directions and, hopefully, report in my success, and then gratefully receive your additional help getting fast gps. Btw, I am just blown away by the fact that this can be done. I'm lucky enough to have a rarely used fairly high spec VPC-Z13 (sig) and after owning some of the best Ultrabooks on the market today, I have come to realize that the 4 year old Z1 (with i7-640M and nVidia 330M) is as powerful as the Haswell U series cpus/Hd4400 IGP, just about as light weight, far more ports, unlimited SSD expansion via DVD drive slot, superb screen, even if 900p and TN (color gamut is superb and the 900p is about 100 nit brighter than the FHD from the Z1, over 300 nit with registry hack member Beaups contributed years ago (works only on the 900p screen; let me know if you have that screen and don't know about the hack, it makes the screen insanely bright), that this setup, the icing on the cake being the LTE capability, is better than anything I could attain with the best of the 13" Ultrabooks made today. The only significant downside is battery life, but I own 3 batteries, one stock and two high capacity, so at the expense of carrying 1.5lbs of batteries in my case, I can get 8-10 hrs away from the outlet.

Thanks again for making me aware of this great "upgrade" and for walking me through the steps.

Best,
    Jeff Bellin

8. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ebay seller: py3388lhs is where i got mine and he still has an mc7355 listing today. Do not buy an mc7700. They are much cheaper and support at&t 4g lte, but use older tech, run hot and break in months. I went through 3 of them before installing mc7355s in both my vpcz1 and svz13. When opening the vpcz1, make absolutely sure not to stress the keyboard flat cable!!

I agree with you on the 900p black levels & contrast, but the resolution made my vpcz1 feel dated. Now, with the 1080p upgrade and windows 8.1/startisback/aeroglass8, it feels hip again.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  9. leafkicker

leafkicker Newbie

Reputations:
    hi guys ive got a vpcz11 with bios R3031C3, can I complete the bios hack with this firmware version or do I have to flash backwards to a older version?

10. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can confirm the hack works on this bios version as i did it recently.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk