Sony Vaio Z i5/i7 (VPCZ1) Official Owners Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Digitalfiend, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ambroos

Ambroos Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a little question, have a Dell U2412M now, temporarily connected to my Z13 over VGA while I wait for a HDMI>DVI cable to arrive.

Problem seems to be that when my laptop is plugged in to power I seem to get a lot of interference on my monitor, something like flickering horizontal bands.

I've seen another topic from someone with a Z but it was closed and didn't really have anything conclusive. Has anyone else experienced this? Does it go away if you use HDMI? Is it a monitor issue?

Thanks!
    Ambroos

2. namaiki

namaiki "basically rocks" Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Try run your laptop on battery and see if the interference goes away. If so the interference should go away with HDMI.

3. Oscar2

Oscar2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try a different vga cable. Oftentimes its the shielding and/or grounding on vga cables that causes that type of interference (it doesn't help at all that Z's lack the screw connections that help to provide a good ground connection to the vga connector).

4. Deodot

Deodot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, has anyone tried to take apart their vaio Z? Or know where to find any good guides to do so?

I have some dirt behind the screen and wanna take it apart and clean it.

I had had the coumptuter in a very damp enviroment and apperantly the dirt got there with the moisture. And warranty wont cover it.

Thanks for any help.

5. namaiki

namaiki "basically rocks" Super Moderator

Reputations:
  6. Ambroos

Ambroos Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It does indeed go away completely if I run the laptop on battery power! Thanks for the advice, I'll just wait for my HDMI > DVI to arrive!

7. Deodot

Deodot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. skipper63

skipper63 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all, I posted on the Z2 forum about my idea of upgrading. My old Z1 starts freezing pretty often, is becoming slower and the size of SSD is restricting me. I think also that it has become hotter (57C with Firefox and several tabs open in Stamina). A felllow member replied to me that I don't need a new laptop, I just have to restore to its factory settings. But then I would like to do an image restore to recover my files, settings and programs. Will I have any gain doing that, or do I have to install everything again in order to avoid any resource hogs that might be bothering my system?
    I was thinking that if I have to reinstall everything, I might as well dive for the nice offer of the Z2 I found (and do some shopping therapy on the way :) )

9. Oscar2

Oscar2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I say get a new one and sell me your old one.

10. skipper63

skipper63 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I failed to mention it is the French version (keyboard and Windows) and has been working for more than 10 hours every day for the last 2 years. And the aluminium next to the on/off switch is a bit dented after a fall from the desk (someone stumbled on the cord)

Still interested?