Sony Vaio Z i5/i7 Official Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by SurferJon, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glashub

Glashub Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If I had to choose, I'd pick the larger SSD. 128gb is not much.

2. TigerBone

TigerBone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i kept wifi on with firefox nothing heavy running i set the background to vaio power saver 1920x1080 since its a plain background i made it 16bit 40hz and turned the brightness down to 3 bars and thats about it. i unplugged at 6:30pm and at about 11:30 and 60% i had about 3-4 hours left but im not sure how accurate it is because i notice the remainding time goes up and down but im pretty sure it would have done atleast 9-10 hours with wut was left. This is on the Large battery ofcourse.

3. JP$

JP$ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Seconded. I got the 192GB SSD Z11 and it is my only real regret. I got the fresh start option and I still only had about 155GB free on the day it arrived. heavenly_wild I think said he saw a 128GB version in a store with something like 70-80GB free due to Windows, recovery partition, and all the Sony bloatware.

4. mikeybrain

mikeybrain Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    petesindia - given the specs you mentioned in your post, that's the same price I paid in the United States. The market is global my friend - that's the amount of money Sony wants, wherever it's coming from.

But, so far, with just a few days of experience, I think it'll be well worth it - the 1080p screen is beautiful. And it would have been the same cost for a comparable MBP, which can never really be comparable since it doesn't have the screen, isn't as light, and is, of course, a mac :D

5. pdimartin

pdimartin Newbie

Reputations:
    Just order Sony Vaio Z12X9E/X.
    Someone know what's new: toshiba or samsung SSD, TRIM?

Thank's a lot
    Pao

6. ahsan.mughal

ahsan.mughal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Toshiba SSD.

7. JP$

JP$ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't seen anyone post anything confirming or denying TRIM support either way, but I'd guess the answer is no, TRIM is not supported. If the Toshibas are anything like the Samsungs in the Z11, then there is very likely some kind of effective garbage collection service active. I doubt Sony would switch to the Toshibas if effective GC wasn't a feature.

8. TofuTurkey

TofuTurkey Married a Champagne Mango

Reputations:
    I haven't heard anyone confirming that 4 SSD drives are still Toshiba. I know that the Toshiba drives' interfaces are SATA, I don't know if the pin configuration is still that of SATA, because if it is, then I can't see how 4 Toshiba SSD boards can fit in that space.

It could also be that for 2 SSD boards, Toshiba drives are used, but for 3 or more drives, Sony goes back to using Samsung.

More people need to open their laptops...

9. DeathDealer

DeathDealer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Should I keep it plugged in when I'm at home, even though its at full a battery life?

10. JP$

JP$ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think it depends on what you are doing. If you are playing a game or watching a youtube video while broadcasting to your TV on HDMI, then keep it plugged in. If you are sitting on your couch checking email, unplug it if it's convenient.

I would plug or unplug based on the situation, and not put a whole lot of worry into the battery. If you do everything a normal user does, it should last you several years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.