1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Sony Vaio Z i5/i7 Official Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by SurferJon, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerBone

TigerBone Notebook Consultant

Caddy as per a dictionary just means a rack or container. But I can understand what your looking for is similar to a hot swappable drive. But I guess its to each's own when it comes to choice of media storage as i would rather have everything in one place on a 750GB hard drive to store my media on, opposed to keeping track of dvd's or having to carry a CD case with me all the time. I do agree however, depending on the data your backing up it can make a big difference if you would rather store it on a DVD or use your valuable hard drive space especially if its work related data and not personal. But all my data is for personal use and I play my movie's from mp4, avi, and mkv files which still provides 1080p, and HiDef audio streams while taking up less space and i can have a lot more movies on the go no loading, no swapping. As for going with an SSD over hard drive the max capacity that I've found that's able to interface with this caddy is 64GB which would be useless to me Besides I prefer a clean installation that doesn't require too much surgery inside my 3k laptop that can easily cause damage. Furthermore replacing the drives that comes with the Z would cost more for the minimal real world speed and size difference. I've seen people step down from 128GB to 80GB for faster speeds. I have all the speed and space i need from the 256GB Toshiba that came with the Z for running programs and apps, and all the storage space i need on my HDD for movies and data, best of both worlds in my opinion :D. It's also evident that all media is going digital, but for the occasional installs and backward compatibility an external slim DVD or Blu-ray player will do just fine :).

2. Stonehinge

Stonehinge Notebook Guru

Hi, TigerBone,

let me get his right, you found out that the NewmodeUS-Caddy only can be operated with a 64GB drive when you want to use SSDs?

I thought, you can put in any 9.5 mm SSD with every available capacity. Maybe I misunderstood your information and did miss a point. - Am I wrong?

Thanks for your answer.

3. gerg

gerg Notebook Geek

I just installed one of these caddys with an 80GB Intel G2 SSD. The drive works fine.

4. skagen

skagen Notebook Deity

Boot time is significantly faster and shut down time cut a little bit. Dont hesitate at all to do that update.

5. Stonehinge

Stonehinge Notebook Guru

Hi, there,

thanks for your input. I asked, because I would like to use my "lonesome" SuperTalent UD 256GB SSD in my Z11 with this caddy and was frightened when I read TigerBones remark.

So, probably it'll work for me.

Thanks again!

6. gerg

gerg Notebook Geek

7. Stonehinge

Stonehinge Notebook Guru

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.