1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Sony Vaio Z 128GB SSD Raid 0 Failing frequently

Discussion in 'Sony' started by morphin1, Aug 13, 2010.

1. morphin1

morphin1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    The raid keeps failing randomly. I have sent the laptop to the service center to no avail.
    Please help.

2. TofuTurkey

TofuTurkey Married a Champagne Mango

Reputations:
    What did the service center people say? Were they able to replicate the problem?

3. morphin1

Reputations:
    After installing the OS on one HDD without restoring the Raid array they are saying they fixed it :)

4. TofuTurkey

TofuTurkey Married a Champagne Mango

Reputations:
    Are you able to show them that the failing SSD is still failing? I would call them again, though based on recent posts about Sony Service, I think you have a rough road ahead...

5. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    Contact Sony and ask for a customer advocate, cause that's ridiculous.
    It shows that the repair centre that Sony uses doesn't follow the restore procedures for the Sony model in question, but makes an incorrect guess based on past experience. That incompetence cost you half your HD capacity, but the cost to Sony might be much higher in the long run.

6. ngvuanh

ngvuanh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    RAID is software raid using Intel Matrix to control it. There is one version of RAID software (v8.9) will fail raid array frequently.
    You may go to intel site to download latest version of Intel Rapid Storage to see if it fixs the problem.

7. motomeup

motomeup Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the same problem. The tech support reps had tons of solutions but none actually fixed my problem. They went from fiddling with the system restoring to fiddling with the BIOS. I ended up just sending it in to get repaired. It's been 2 weeks and they're still working with it. According to the online status they shipped in some sort of part and now the technician is installing it. My raids only failed when I left my computer on over night or idle for long periods of time. It was pretty consistent though.

8. Andrew08

Andrew08 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    mine almost fixed by sony except the wei score still at 6.7 not 6.9 because i got the 256(4*64Gb)

9. hxkclan

hxkclan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Z gets installed with Rapid Storage Technology (RST) 9.5 from factory ;-) So i guess it's really an SSD problem from his notebook.

10. morphin1

Reputations:
    Ok,
    So this is the 5th time the raid has failed and am gonna send the lappy in 3rd time.
    Any fix out yet guys?