Sony Vaio X Series - bricked by flashing BIOS

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by WeissTeufel, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gracy123

Gracy123 Agrees to disagree

Reputations:
    This kind of thinking is everything but not helpful! If he can't recover it, there isn't much wrong he can do either! So why not try before sending it to Sony or anywhere else? Just because you want him punished?

Just a reminder - we are (or most of us) here to help or at least try to. Sending a unit for repair is the last hope, if there were never other options, there wouldn't be a forum either. Just something to think about...

People make mistakes - if you can help - do it. If not - please don't spam. It is really not helping.

One thing you are right about - one shouldn't play with the BIOS (flashing/modifying). But I am really really sure the op knows that already...

2. WeissTeufel

WeissTeufel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Gracy123 - thanks for your effort, I thought that could be the battery and that was the first thing I disconnected for the motherboard but it didn't work.
    That would mean that disconnecting the battery won't help at all.
    I will contact some Sony repair companies instead Sony. I don't want to pay twice for the netbook.

Unless there is some great, pure awesome geek who knows what to do now :)

3. Gracy123

Reputations:
    I'm afraid I'm not able to help any further :(

How long did you keep the battery disconnected? I would try leaving it out for at least 10 min and starting the laptop without it...

If it doesn't help obviously the method won't help at all, but maybe worth another try :-/

Did you locate the BIOS chip anywhere? Is it soldered to the board? I remember it was not on my previous laptop...

4. WeissTeufel

WeissTeufel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It was disconnected for over an hour.
    I couldn't actually see the BIOS chip. I couldn't find anything like it.
    Everything there is so small.

I understand that there is lots of Acer or HP netbooks and not so many X Series and that's how easier is to find a solution to fix an Acer. More owners more chance to damage it and at the same time more people to find a solution.
    As this is a forum about Vaio laptops (probably one of the best out there) i thought that someone here may have experienced familiar problem.

If there is anyone who can help please let me know. I will not be crying or freaking out i thought i can save a lot of money for fixing it. Apparently Sony would just change the motherboard without considering to fix it that's what puts the price sky high.

5. pyr0

pyr0 100% laptop dynamite

Reputations:
    Gracy, of course you are right and I try also my best to help as many users I can (and I always tried in the past) but in this case, the REALLY helpful comments (i.e. ComputerCowboy's) get ignored completely. No detailed info at all from the OP, are we here to squeeze out every single piece of information? Did you even get an answer on your question what the laptop does after being switched on?

I have posted before that removing the battery simply does NOTHING at all to the flash, so you call me a spammer whereas you post tips that are nothing but a waste of time - come on, get real!

Sure I am willing to spend my time and give advice on building a breadboard SPI flasher but so far I don't think that the OP can make use of that (he already stated that he is not tech-savvy enough). You'd also don't want to teach someone solder 0603's via a forum (so ridiculous to even think about that) when he never used a soldering iron before. He should at least be able to identify the SPI flash chip, he doesn't even have a BIOS backup. Feel free to prove me wrong.

WeissTeufel, try to find an electronic pro who can reflash your laptop. This one should be able to program something like that:
    Winbond - Serial Flash

Sample datasheet (of the Z's flash chip):
    W25X32VSSIG datasheet(1/47 Pages) WINBOND | 16M-BIT, 32M-BIT, AND 64M-BIT SERIAL FLASH MEMORY WITH 4KB SECTORS AND DUAL OUTPUT SPI

6. Gracy123

Reputations:
    You are most likely right, I agree. I just found your post a bit aggressive and not at all helpfully intended, that's all...

And again - people make mistakes, so he is not to be blamed that much - sh*t happens, he certainly learned from it.
    The real question is what to do now.

7. ngvuanh

ngvuanh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Take a photo of both sides of the board, and I will let you know which one is BIOS chip.

8. ComputerCowboy

ComputerCowboy Sony Fanboy

Reputations:
    If I know anyone who can help and or fix it... it is Anh, the man does incredible work. This guy soldered a Core2Duo into my tiny UX a couple years back. What's up Anh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.