Sony Vaio X Series - bricked by flashing BIOS

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by WeissTeufel, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WeissTeufel

WeissTeufel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    didn't flash :(
    now I can see the netbook inside (in pieces) and I can't find the battery (like it's not there)
    :(

2. WeissTeufel

Reputations:
    no joy... I need to cry for a while in the corner... :cry:

3. beaups

beaups New Jack Hustler

Reputations:
    You are trying to recover a laptop with a virus for a tool :)

4. WeissTeufel

Reputations:
    it doesn't matter now, beside how do you know this is a virus?
    I've checked and there was no virus and I managed to get a backup file from a Sony NW Series and eventually from a X Series.

Unfortunately that backup from the X Series (which was slightly different than mine) was different R1020U4 on X13 and on my X11 was R0084U4.

The tutorial from Bios Mods - The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source didn't work either so I opened the netbook to search for the battery but I couldn't find any. So now I don't have a clue what to do next. I don't want to send it to Sony and be ripped off again :/

I'm sure that with some proper tool and knowledge it can be done in minutes.
    Unfortunately i'm to short for that :(

5. beaups

beaups New Jack Hustler

Reputations:
    The file you linked to earlier (bios toolkit) was a virus.

MANY sony notebooks can not have their bios recovered easily. I've had to have them swap boards before.

I think you may consider contacting sony. Is the unit out of warranty?

How did you manage to flash an Acer bios to it? Is it an insyde/efi machine?

6. WeissTeufel

Reputations:
    yeah, it's out of warranty...

I managed to do that by flashing with a program called fla
    i'm not sure as everythink is on the bricked netbook

7. beaups

beaups New Jack Hustler

Reputations:
    but how did you accidentally send it an Acer bios?

If you did that, I would google Acer bios recovery, specifically for the recovery process for the machine who's bios you've flashed to your X. Basically you are going to want to download the correct bios for your X, extract the actual BIOS image from the download, and copy it to a properly formatted usb drive, making sure to name the bios properly, and put the machine with a specific key combination and wait while the machine "hopefully" reflashes the correct bios.

This process DOES work with Acer InsydeEFI machines (I've done it). Perhaps since you've flashed an Acer bios it will allow you to recover to a different (this time correct sony) BIOS back to the machine.

Good luck.

8. WeissTeufel

Reputations:
    I've tried that. I don't know if there is any specific key combination for sony laptops. I would be great if I could as that would give me something.
    then I could try to get the proper flash, still don't know how to extract the flash from the genuine sony software. Couldn't even find the files extracted on my computer :/
    I've given as much details as I could including the flash version that I need and my bios (insyde H20) current (latest) BIOS version R0084U4.

to calm your curiosity down (but please don't laugh ;]) i flashed it with the fla program because there was a password to access BIOS I didn't know the password so I thought if I flash it it will disappear. I couldn't flash it with the same version so I thought if i flash it with another version from a different make but for the same BIOS maybe won't be great but at least I can flash it again with the right one. I was so wrong. I can tell that now.

BTW - how is that possible that I couldn't find the battery on the matherboard? is it hidden or maybe there is a rechargeable battery that looks like one of those chips?

anyway the netbook is as dead as it was and my only hope before I contact Sony is to get a respond from someone who's actually done that and knows how to fix it. I'm sure there must be a way.

9. Gracy123

Gracy123 Agrees to disagree

Reputations:
    Here's how the battery of Vaio S looks like...
    [​IMG]

10. pyr0

pyr0 100% laptop dynamite

Reputations:
    I appreciate all you guys helping that much but let's face it: That machine is an expensive paper weight now. Seriously, who thinks there will be a way to recover if you have flashed a BIOS from another Mfr!? Perhaps the other BIOS even was not for an Atom CPU/chipset.
    I bet there is no way to recover it by software, now less then ever if you don't know what you are doing at all. I'm sorry for the OP but tho I can't hold it back: The lesson learned is don't fiddle with this kind of BIOS stuff if you are noob. Send it to Sony, pay the price and learn from it. I hope you even have a backup of your files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.