Sony Vaio VPCZ1 upgrade and clean install to Window 10 with Bios hack

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Cimarien, Nov 8, 2016.

1. galaxyge

galaxyge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This will be a very helpful guide, for anybody now or in the future wishing to upgrade his/her Z to Windows 10.

I have been running it for nearly a year. My Z performs faster, and I enjoy the new features, and state of the art protocols working much better than in Windows 7.
    I would have postponed upgrading at first, if I had been aware of the initial bugs there were (mainly third party drivers and how Windows handled them).

But since the anniversary update version (1607) available, I can absolutely recommend it, to get the full potential out of your dear old vaio.. still a beast!

2. chinsoon

chinsoon Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you so much.
    I have tried 342.01, working fine.

3. jupis

jupis Newbie

Reputations:
    Cimarien (post: 10382532, member: 682325)
    The process still works like a charm! The BIOS hack took a bit more time but NVIDIA driver update was a 20 minute affair. Beauty! BTW works with NVIDIA's latest driver set for Tesla (342.1).
    Many thanks to all the people involved, spending your time and effort to help. A bit of light in these otherwise dark times.

galaxyge likes this.
  4. ComputerCowboy

ComputerCowboy Sony Fanboy

Reputations:
    Does my program still work?

5. chinsoon

chinsoon Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, it works on latest version of graphics drivers.

Thank you so much!

6. Cimarien

Cimarien Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Today my old VPCZ1 get bricked because of my mistake to play around with the hacked Bios.

I go to BIOS, Advance Menu and change the IDE to AHCI instead of RAID.

Cannot boot, of course! But now I can not enter BIOS again to change it back to RAID, F2 doesn't work.

Please help me to enter BIOS!

7. galaxyge

Reputations:
    First of all, don't panic!

BIOS entry shouldn't be affected by this, I've tried the same. Remove the laptop battery, and try again. Hit F2 fast and many times when the H2O bios screen is displayed.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  8. Cimarien

Cimarien Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you, I even open the laptop cover, i saw a small round piece in black, size is about a shirt button with a connector to the mainboard, suspect that is the CMOS battery, disconnect it, wait for 25 minutes, then plug-in, no help, still hang at Vaio logo and H20 logo screen, F2 doesn't enter BIOS.

Also tried to disconnect the power, laptop battery, press power button for 30 second with expectation that could help to clear the CMOS like an old trick, doesn't work too.

I also don't think that a change in Bios menu could brick the laptop that way, maybe i did it in coincident with the death of my mainboard, but it is so weird.

9. galaxyge

Reputations:
    weird, indeed. One last thing I could think of is to disconnect the HDD, SSD connector and try again, with and without disk connected