1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Sony Vaio SZ3 max RAM

Discussion in 'Sony' started by Pikachu, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pikachu

Pikachu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a Sony Viao SZ3 and want upgrade the RAM. The sticker on the front says 2GB is maximum (note, there are 2 slots and one is occupied with 1GB stick).

1. Does anyone own the same laptop and have successfully upgraded their RAM beyond 2GB? Or if anyone just knows the answer please let me know.

2. I am using Windows XP Professional (32-bit), and want to double check that the maximum RAM supported by this particular operating system is 4GB because I want to get 2 x 2GB for dual channel.

3. I found something interesting on the Microsoft site but since I am computer illiterate could someone confirm whether the article means there is a way to disable system paging on the hard drive by allocating part of the RAM for that function?

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/pae_os.mspx

Many thanks.

2. simonov

simonov Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    all I know is that xp (and vista) 32bit, will only be able to USE 3Gb RAM, and not 4GB

If youd want 4gb, get 64 bit

3. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    According to Crucial memory, the most memory your system supports s 2Gb (2 x 1024mb of memory)
    Unfortunately you cannot install more than 2gb of memory, cause the limitation is the Bios of your system, it can only recognize less than or equal to 2gb of memory.

K-TRON

4. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    WRONG

The SZ3 has an Intel i945GM. Hence your max physical ram is 2 x 2048MB.

SZ3 specs here:http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebooks/review/2006/12/20/Sony-Vaio-VGN-SZ3XP/p4

5. K-TRON

Reputations:
    There are like 10 different SZ3 models on Crucials site, so if the OP can give the exact model number, than we can know if it supports 2Gb or 4gb of memory.

EDIT:
    I have a i945PM chipset in my E1505, and its maximum memory support is 2gb. The Bios is a limitation factor which also needs to be addressed when figuring out how much memory the system can use.

K-TRON

6. powerpack

powerpack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    K-T is correct. Depends on MoBo. Also as said 32bit will not recognize 4GB regardless of if system supports.

You can mix different size sticks of RAM and get the full benefit of Dual Channel for the amount that is matched. Also the frequently modified migrates toward the front so your used applications will get full benefit of true Dual Channel.

7. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I checked the following SZ3 models and they all hae the same chipset: SZ320, 330, 340, 360, 370, 381, and two 390 and they all have the intel i945GM. So in theory 4GB is feasable.

I think the reason that this model is listed with a max of 2GB (2 x 1024) is when it was launched the price for the 2GB module was $1600 or there about.

8. Andy

Andy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The OP can try 3GB, as the i945GM/PM chipset won't recognise more than 3.2-3.5GB (irrespective of the OS)

9. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    1gb old + 2gb new

10. Pikachu

Reputations:
    Thank you all for your replies.

@Naton
    Thank you for taking the time to check the models, but, unfortunately, my laptop model is: VGN-SZ38GP/C (purchased in Hong Kong). Sorry about that.

@Simonov
    If you refer to the links provided in my first post it mentions that the 3GB limitation on 32-bit XP Professional can be increased to 4GB using the PAE feature. Just some minor code adjustments are required.

However, according to the information provided by K-TRON, my motherboard may be unable to recognise beyond 2GB. Is there a program I can use to check my motherboard?

@Andy
    Thanks for the information. My laptop contains a 945GM Express Chipset, does the limitation still apply?

Many thanks.

11. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    no problem

PAE will create problem. A better solution is to use XP 64, Vista 64 or 3GB instead of 4.
    Actually depending on you hardware configuration, XP 32 and Vista 32 will be able to see up to 3.8GB. The rule is:
    4 gb - graphics card ram (this applies even if you have a descrete graphics)

If you check above, there is a bit of an agreement between me and K-TRON because the 945GM can handle up to 4GB. But we don't know if the BIOS is not limited to 2GB.

12. K-TRON

Reputations:
  13. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nice to have a link to support my claim :D

14. Pikachu

Reputations:
    Thanks for your replies.

K-TRON thank you for that link, it was very helpful.

@Naton
    I do not want to upgrade my operating system to 64-bit at this point in time. Could you tell me more about these 'hardware configurations', is this something I can modify or is it preset and cannot be changed?

If only 3GB is possible, should I purchase that exact amount or would I still benefit from the dual channel configuration despite my laptop being unable to recognise it?

15. Andy

Andy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Check Page no. 325 of the Intel 945GM Family Datasheet

The 945GM/PM chipset will only recognise upto 3.2-3.5GB, irrespective of the fact that a 64-Bit OS is installed. (It has a 32-bit memory controller)

This was corrected in the Intel 965GM/PM chipset.

So, unless you get a cheap deal on a 4GB Kit, go for 2+1GB....

16. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I read in the forum that dual channel can give a boost up to %20-25.

For the ram if you hae less that 4GB, for example 3GB, windows XP or Vista 32 bit will see and use all 3GB.

Now what will happen with 4GB is that the 32 bit operating system will use a chanck of the RAM to address the hardward. The amont of RAM used is equal to the Vram used by the GPU + more ram for the management of the other devices.

For instance someone has reported that out of the 4GB, he had less than 3.5GB (about 3.4GB) because his/her graphics card had 512MB Vram.

So if your GPU has 128MB dedicated, you're likely to be able to use 3.8GB out of 4GB.

17. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    the above is taken from an HP document:

RAM Allocation with Microsoft Windows XP Professional (32 & 64-bit)
    Increasing workstation performance and RAM affordability have enabled more and more users to push the limits of 32-bit computing. This paper discusses those limits with respect to RAM allocation when using Microsoft Windows XP Professional on x86-based computers. Specifically, the 32-bit version of XP Professional limits available RAM to noticeably less than 4 GB while Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition eliminates this barrier.
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional, designed as a 32-bit OS, supports an address range of up to 4 GB for virtual memory addresses and up to 4 GB for physical memory addresses. Because the physical memory addresses are sub-divided to manage both the computer’s PCI memory address range (also known as MMIO) and RAM, the amount of available RAM is always less than 4 GB.
    The PCI memory addresses starting down from 4 GB are used for things like the BIOS, IO cards, networking, PCI hubs, bus bridges, PCI-Express, and video/graphics cards. The BIOS takes up about 512 KB starting from the very top address. Then each of the other items mentioned are allocated address ranges below the BIOS range. The largest block of addresses is allocated for today’s high performance graphics cards which need addresses for at least the amount of memory on the graphics card. The net result is that a high performance x86-based computer may allocate 512 MB to more than 1 GB for the PCI memory address range before any RAM (physical user memory) addresses are allocated.
    RAM starts from address 0. The BIOS allocates RAM from 0 up to the bottom of the PCI memory addresses mentioned above, typically limiting available RAM to between 3 GB and 3.4 GB.

From a user’s perspective the graphics card selected and amount of installed RAM have the most impact on available RAM. A high end graphics card with 256 MB of memory may limit addressable RAM to about 3 GB while cards with less memory may enable higher limits. Industry memory architectures impact the opportunity to install just the amount of RAM that can be made available. Today’s high performance chipsets use dual memory channels which require matched pairs of DIMMs for the best performance. On a 4 DIMM slot computer, the 3 to 4 GB capacity choices fall to 3 GB or 4 GB (two 1 GB DIMMs + two 512 MB DIMMs or four 1 GB DIMMs).
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition uses 64-bit addressing enabling virtually the entire amount of installed RAM to be made available on computers that have large address infrastructures (where the entire system has more than 4 GB addressing capabilities via the processor, chipset, physical memory capacity, etc). The HP xw4300, xw6200, xw8200 and xw9300 Workstations have the required infrastructures and even the PCI memory address range is recovered by re-mapping it above the top of physical memory.
    In contrast, some 64-bit capable systems use 32-bit chipsets, limiting physical memory addressing to the 4 GB limit even though Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is installed. The HP xw4200 is such a system (like all systems based on the Intel 925 Express chipset) and it continues to typically allocate between 3 and 3.4 GB of RAM. The benefit is that the system is able to take advantage of larger virtual memory and process sizes.
    Conclusion: If you are planning to use Windows XP x64 Edition on your HP xw4300, xw6200, xw8200 or xw9300 64-bit enabled workstation, install as much RAM as you would like up to the physical limit of each workstation.

18. powerpack

Reputations:
    Not correct. Memory addresses are not just the VRAM used by GPU.

19. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've never said Vram only.

I said

20. powerpack

Reputations:
    But you did say that? And that is nuts? Should I say more?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.