Sony Vaio SVP1321C5E: flickering screen on battery power after Windows 10 update

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Troxelke, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Troxelke

Troxelke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, no also lost with this issue, done the same things as you indicate, drivers, bios, new battery, nothing helped. Now using the laptop with power supply or until it starts flickering ..

volpefox likes this.
  2. Lemitsos

Lemitsos Newbie

Reputations:
    Following up on this, I made sure that the flickering occurs in the BIOS as well so it is definitely not Windows (unless the installation of the OS messed up something). Booting in legacy mode from the BIOS does not solve the issue either. When the battery is low, the screen is pitch dark from the very beginning (VAIO logo) so definitely something to do with insufficient power going to the backlight LED when the battery is low before even the BIOS loads. I used a couple battery monitoring software and reports on battery from command prompt but everything seems normal. As the battery slowly goes down from full charge, flickering begins when operations using CPU are carried on so I think there is power conflict between screen and CPU. Below 80% it flickers continuously and below 60% it starts shutting off. At 50% the screen is totally dark but the graphics can be seen by shining an external light on the scree.
    Anyone has an idea?

volpefox likes this.
  3. volpefox

volpefox Newbie

Reputations:
    Same exact problem here, it's a real shame because my nice, light, portable Vaio now has to stay tethered to external power to be any use. Has anyone found a solution yet?

4. stepi

stepi Newbie

Reputations:
    Had same problem, screen flickering when battery reached 75%. Bought new IPS-panel from aliexpress and that fixed the problem.

5. Lemitsos

Lemitsos Newbie

Reputations:
    How much dit it cost? Thanks

6. stepi

stepi Newbie

Reputations:
    43€ including shipping. Beaware that you need some special tools like heatgun or powerful hairdryer to warm bezel so it can be removed easily, also thin prying tools used to repair mobile phones are quite usefull.
    But overall it's not that bad job, just remove display assembly from bottom base and remove bezel, swap panel glue bezel back and it's done.

7. Troxelke

Reputations:
    Hi Stepi, I am the original topic starter and did not yet solve my issue. Now I read your answers, so in your case it was the panel itself.

Just to rule out, you also had the situation where on AC power the display is fine, and only when on battery and below a certain percentage (in my case below 75% or something), the screen starts flickering especially under higher CPU load? Or was your situation something else? And, did you rule out it was not only the flex cable (that is much cheaper / much more easy to change)?

And if it is really the screen to replace, could you send me the link where you purchased it? Are there variants I should be concerned of, or is there only 1 Vaio Pro 13 screen with 1920x1080 res?

But in any case, thanks for your help and replies!!

Best regards!
    Roy.

8. stepi

stepi Newbie

Reputations:
    On AC power display worked just fine, even when on battery power and screen started flickering connecting AC adapter stopped flickering.
    I noticed that there were clicking or crackling(don't know how to describe it)sound inside top cover at same area where sony logo is on bezel. Also when there is no problems at all when using HDMI-port it ruled out that there is motherboard issues. Cabling issues usually occur when moving display and this wasn't the case here so i decided to order just new screen.

I'am not familiar with sony laptops so i don't know how many variants there is from this model. I udes aida64 to identify display and it's manufacturer and model, ordered similar display from aliexpress and have been quite happy vaio owner afterwards. Actually so happy that i'am searching mainboard upgrade becaus this is just i5 and 4gb model and it's quite low mem for windows 10, seeking now cheap i7 8gb model mainboard.

9. Troxelke

Reputations:
    Super thanks for your reply! Okay then I will also go for the screen replacement. Do you have the link to your order or name of the shop?

10. stepi

stepi Newbie

Reputations: