Sony Vaio SVP1321C5E: flickering screen on battery power after Windows 10 update

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Troxelke, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Troxelke

Troxelke Newbie

Reputations:
    I have been using my Sony Vaio Pro 13 SVP1321C5E for many years with great pleasure. However, after updating to Windows 10 I have the following problem: When using the laptop on battery power, with lower battery values (say <60%) and somewhat higher processor load (say> 40%), the screen flashes very fast (say 5-10Hz) & irregular. Very annoying and I expect that it must be a software problem, but I can't figure it out. What I have already done:

1. Reinstalled Intel HD 4400 graphics drivers, also tested different versions (Intel / Sony);
    2. Completely new clean installation of Windows 10 without any additional apps / programs installed;
    3. Energy management schemes & various variables tested, set as "balanced" as possible;
    4. Display settings at lower resolution / lower brightness (75%) / no night light set with battery use;
    5. Device management all fully installed, except for NXP5442 (NFC), because it does not work in Windows 10.
    6. Vaio update & Vaio care fully checked, gives no problems & battery condition is seen as healthy.

With the above options all still the same situation. I read on the internet many with similar problems:
    https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/pcs-accessories/sony-vaio-svf13n2c5e-flickering-screen/td-p/2260621
    https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/6vxs27/sony_vaio_pro_13_backlight_flickering_when_on/
    https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/laptop-screen-flickers-mostly-when-unplugged.100550/
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/sony-laptop-screen-turns-black-flickers-when-unplugged.25350...

Does anyone have any more suggestions what I can do? I really getting tired of this issue ...
    Thanks in advance for any help & suggestions!
    Roy.

2. Troxelke

Troxelke Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody ... nobody a clue what to do? Thanks for your suggestions!!!

EDIT: I tried some extra things: while in really low power (<40%) I see the flickering is also present in "safe mode" and even in the BIOS. I did not experience that yet ... but would that mean it is a hardware issue anyhow ...?

EDIT2: I even opened up the laptop, got out the battery for a while, did a power reset (20 seconds power button), and put in the battery again. no luck.

So, I now can only think of to try another battery or something? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Roy.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  3. Troxelke

Troxelke Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, really nobody any other clue that I could do? Thanks .... :)

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If it does it in the BIOS and in Safe Mode it most likely is a hardware problem that is not related to Windoze 10. Does it occur with an external monitor? Does it change with the lid positioned at various angles?

5. Troxelke

Troxelke Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it! It does not occur with a external monitor. And the hinge position does not matter at all.

I understand your reasoning about a hardware failure, but why does the flickering NOT happen when the battery is >80% or connected to the charger? So to me, IF it is a hardware issue, it is not the screen but the power circuit that cannot keep up at a lower battery charge (<60%).

The flickering is only at higher CPU loads, and the flickering pattern looks like the harddrive yield / behaviour.

So what failure could it be? And still strange it really started to occur right after upgrading to Windows 10.

Again thanks for your commitment!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Definitely an odd situation. Never have seen anything like that with respect to the lower battery charge. Also interesting that while it happens in the BIOS and Safe Mode, it does not happen with an external monitor.

It might be some kind of glitch in power management at a firmware level. Have you tried re-flashing the BIOS? Not sure what else to suggest... Really strange.