Sony Vaio SA/SB/SC/SE Advanced Menu BIOS Hack

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by pyr0, Jan 28, 2012.

1. pyr0

pyr0 100% laptop dynamite

Reputations:
    I don't own a S series VAIO so can't report. You will have to try it for yourself.

There are two things that I will develop further in this thread:

- SATA 3 if I get someone with the tools that tests my hacks or I get a broken / bricked SA for testing
    - will release hacks of BIOS upgrades once they come out.

Nothing else.

2. m.susc

m.susc Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    pyr0, first off, many thanks for your effort.:notworthy:

One suggestion for your TODO list though: how about removing that graphic output option that two users reported it has bricked their machine? This would be consistent with your better-safe-than-sorry approach.

Thanks again

3. jbgenius

jbgenius Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, I have set the "PEG" option, and the screen cannot start and the laptop will shutdown automatically a few second later after I start it. Is there something I can do to recover it?

It's so bad for my laptop, I just want to disable the Intel Graphic.

4. jaroessle

jaroessle Newbie

Reputations:
    Nice work!

Beside the request to try to enable Sata3 I was wondering if and how a HDD (ATA) password could be set or according setting be unlocked in the BIOS?

The only option available is the machine password which does not set an ATA password. Checking with Intel Rapid Storage tool it says it is disabled still.

Any ideas?

Regards.

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    FYI, our heroic pyr0 has been on an intense work project for several weeks and I believe is on travel now, so don't expect him to have the time to do any further work on this in the near term, or even the time to respond to questions. At the rate we pay him* for his invaluable contributions and the intensity of his "day job" and studies I think expectations for regular support of this project should be kept at an appropriate level. I'm not criticizing anyone, but I think those who thirst for SATA 3 support in this hack need to decide to settle for "slow" SATA 2 for the time being or go back to a stock BIOS to regain the other-worldly SATA3 SSD speeds.

*Also, I would like to note that there is something incongruous about Mr. P's NBR "Rep Power" of 8 and his peerless contributions to this forum. Unless it is a quirk of the rep system in vbulletin, it suggests that too many people are taking this man's contributions for granted and neglecting to "compensate" him with the only currency available, the very least we can all provide given it costs us NOTHING!

Just sayin...

6. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Rep system is wierd. I'm pratically a walking idiot and have a higher rep rating for no good reason.

Otherwise, my only theory is I give a lot of rep (max out how much rep I can give, quite a few times), so that could also be it?

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    I've never really been able to figure out how it all works, but it's doing something right if you have lotsa reps - you are always helping people out or making excellent observations, Jeremy. ;)

8. yuanhaoliang

yuanhaoliang Newbie

Reputations:
    I just want the sata unlocked.

9. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    everybody wants that. pyr0 has already explained his reasons and reservations for not wanting to go any further. read the previous posts please before reposting the same thing. (and remember, he does not owe us anything and, in fact, has already done us a great favor by unlocking the BIOS.)

10. zsero

zsero Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi pyr0, is the embedded-controller firmware inside in this BIOS? And if yes, is this BIOS encoded? If not, I believe there is a chance to modify the fan lookup HEX values, just like on my Acer. On the Acer what had to be done is to use RWEverything and look for the Fan values and search the EC for those values. It was found nicely so we could edit those values for a more quiet fan profile. Is there anything with this BIOS what would stop technique this from working?