1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Sony Vaio Fn key problem

Discussion in 'Sony' started by centaurius, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. centaurius

centaurius Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  2. neof1z

neof1z Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Me too on FZ21M.The only problems is S1 AV MODE and FN.Any ideas?

3. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    There is no know solution to that. Both the FN keys and the AV mode rely on programs and not drivers. So far Sony has ONLY released the drivers. You are also missing power managment, which also relies on a program and not a driver.

Gary

4. NinjaNoodles

NinjaNoodles Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You sure it's not the VAIO Event Service?

5. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:
    I am sure it IS the Vaio Event Service. But it is an app and not a driver and so far has not been released by Sony for XP. The only thing in the release thus far have been the XP drivers.

Gary

6. centaurius

centaurius Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    WEll, I haven't contacted Sony yet, cause my serial is not recoginzed on e-support!!

Anyways, finally I found the 8400 M GT driver for win XP for my FZ21E! Here http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15175

Missing:

- Fn keys
    - Lock touchpad ?
    - Sound issue, sound plays, but if i connect headphones still sends sound through laptop, doesn't isolate only to the headphones

Any suggestions to solve the above?

7. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:
    I believe the sound issue has been resolved by using a different driver. Search on this forum and the Windows forum for details.

Not sure what "lock touchpad" means.

As for the FN keys and power management issues, there is no way to solve them until Sony releases the corresponding apps.

Gary

8. centaurius

centaurius Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I wanted to lock the touchpad while typing under windows XP, there's software in Vista named touching device or something to disable the touchpad, I need something like that for Xp. :\

9. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:
    The ALPS drivers for Vista and on XP on my old Sony both had an icon in the notification area (system tray under XP). This has an option to automatically disable the touchpad while typing. Is that what you are talking about?

Gary

10. Babydarklord

Babydarklord Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Where did you purchased the computer! Because it's missing some component's like Sony® Shared Library and Sony® Notebook Utilities that why it's not working Im going to look for it and if I can find one I'll post It here.

11. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:
    Did you read the first message in this thread? He bought a machine with Vista on it and subsequently installed XP. Look all you want, but so far Sony has not released the Notebook utilities for an FZ series machine running under XP.

Gary

12. centaurius

centaurius Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, Control Panel (under Vista) has a Touchpad or Pointing device option, which you can enable/disable the touchpad manually as well, I'd like to have that under win XP for this FZ21, any suggestion?

Thanks for your feedback btw.

13. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:

Are you saying you want to disdable the touchpad entirely, or do you want to select the option show in the attachment?

Gary

P.S. Just looked at Vista's control panel and there is no "Touchpad or Pointing device option". There is a Mouse option that brings up the control for the touchpad. But I don't see anything for "enable/disable the touchpad manually". All I see is what I showed in the attachment.

Attached Files:

14. centaurius

centaurius Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Disable it entirely. There's another option in Vista, under de vaio contro lcenter, that was i talking about as seen in the attachment, i wanted something like this for win xp :p

[​IMG]

15. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:
    It doesn't exist. At least not at this juncture. None of the auxiliary applications for FZ series machines under XP have been released. This would be one of those apps. You COULD accomplish the same thing through the device manager. But with the option in the control panel applet to turn off the touchpad as you type, I am not sure why you'd need or want to turn it completely off.

Gary

16. centaurius

centaurius Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The device manager (under win xp) doesn't provide the disable option for the poiting device, only an uninstll of the device.

I don't have that option on my mouse proporties under win xp.

17. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:
    Not sure WHAT I was thinking about with the device manager.

But do you not have a "tapping" tab on the mouse properties? My old Sony which was under XP has it. What driver are you using for the Alps touchpad under XP at this point? Was there a XP driver released by Sony for the touchpad?

Gary

18. centaurius

centaurius Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I didn't have it... now I do, updated the driver using the XP drivers provided for fz 19, and it works. Although it's not off entirely, hope it will do the trick while I type :p

So now, I guess will have to wait for support from Sony to this notebook downgrade for the Fn keys, and Audio driver.

The audio driver I'm using from SigmaTel is 5.10.5511.0, for win XP. The sound works, still when I connect headphones, still doesn't isolate the sound only to headphones, but laptop and headphones. This is a driver issue yes? Or is it possible to isolate the sound using any software?

19. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:

Great, that option should work fine for you. It prevents the cursor from jumping around if you accidentaly brush the touchpad while typing. (You might need to adjust the delay factor.)

RE: Audio, isn't there an audio driver in the FZ - XP driver set Sony recently released? It should fix the headphone issue I believe. I do know that issue was resolved by one of the folks messing with a Vaio XP downgrade. Not sure if it was an FZ owner or another series. But if you use the search box at the top of the screen (do NOT use either of the two drop down search boxes) and search for VAIO XP HEADPHONE or FZ XP HEADPHONE or even just XP HEADPHONE, you should find the thread I am talking about.

Don't hold your breath on the function keys, or power management.

Gary

20. microkid

microkid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    By function keys do you mean the keys you access by holding down the FN key such as brightness etc... or the extra keys located above the keyboard (on the FZ18 that's volumes, play, stop, fwd,rwd etc...)?

Do any of those work?

I spoke to Sony who suggested the XP utils packages for the FZ predecessor the FE may work. they suggested using the latest one before they went to vista which I think is the FE39. Has anybody tried this?

Finally i cannot get my audio working with either the FZ19 or FZ20 driver packages that are available. When i try it simply tells me the hardware is not there.

I have currently gone back to Vista, but am thinking of trying XP again. But I need the brightness keys and more importantly the volume keys for the work i do.

Anyway if anyone has any thoughts about the FE drivers and utils would be great hear them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.