Sony Vaio Duo 13 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by CoolHotCold, May 8, 2013.

1. misterjames

misterjames Newbie

Reputations:
    With the latest Windows 10 update, I've encountered the following issues:
    -Display screen flickering/flashing like crazy when below 50% battery. It happens even more so when touching the display.
    -Black screen upon resume, need to CTRL+ALT+DEL to show the log in screen.
    -After logging in, the screen does not refresh and still shows the login wallpaper. Need to refresh the screen.

Anybody else having these issues?

2. Alexander512

Alexander512 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone! I have two issues with this wonderful device:
    1. After I turn it off in 50% of the cases it won't turn on again until I hold the power button for 10 seconds, wait 5 seconds and then press it again. The same happens when I try to reboot it - it randomly just won't start until I do these steps. It happens on battery and AC. I have the latest BIOS according to the SONY support website. I'm using Windows 10. And I think it happens more often after some heavy use of the laptop when it's hot.
    2. How can I open a sim-card slot on the back of the screen? I tried to push it or open it with a knife - no luck.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  3. Majl

Majl Newbie

Reputations:
    I've had exactly this problem for ages now. While I don't know how to fix it, I do know what's causing it. Basically it's a known issue with Windows 10 - it's just not shutting down properly! By pressing and holding in the power button for 10 seconds because the laptop won't start up what you're actually doing is overriding the still on laptop and doing a hard reset 'shut down'. Once the laptop is finally properly shut down, it'll start up again. I've also found a way of seeing if the laptop hasn't shut down properly by attaching an external hard drive to one of the usb ports. Said hdd has a light that stays lit if the laptop is still on - even though it looks like it's off. That's when I do a hard shut down. As you say 50% of the time the light on the hard drive goes out when the laptop is shut down so I know the thing is properly off.

Have to say this drives me mad but I've got used to it and just deal with it almost without thinking about it these days. I keep intending to reload Windows but haven't got round to it yet and am not convinced it'll solve the problem anyway.

4. Alexander512

Alexander512 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the exact same issue. Anybody know the solution? Where is the a BIOS-battery in our device? I disassembled it but couldn't find the bios battery :(

5. emperor327

emperor327 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've always been a Sony Vaio fan and I've been recently presented a chance to purchase the Duo 13 with i7 and 8gb ram for $750. Is this laptop still worth the purchase in 2017? This laptop will mainly be used for coffee shop web browsing and home lounging.

6. HighHand

HighHand Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can have much better choice than that.
    My i5 8gb ram run just fine
    But for your usage you should try something else

7. KC1983

KC1983 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Does anyone know where to get a replacement battery (vgp-bps36) for Sony Vaio Duo 13?
    At reasonable price of course.. . Thanks in advance:)

8. jed.koo

jed.koo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry to bump up this thread but could any body recommend a compatible digitizer/stylus?

The original pen normally work but it often take half a minute break without any warning. If I took the battery out and put in again it would work.

Does surface pen work with DUO 13? Anyone who has tried please share you experience. THANKS.

9. Alexander512

Alexander512 Newbie

Reputations:
    Can anybody please provide a dump of Embedded Controller firmware for this device? Repair guys are trying to fix my broken i7 Duo-13 and they say this is what they need to fix it, but they can not find it anywhere. Please help!
    Also I've read that it's possible to extract it from the BIOS dump. I have found a BIOS dump, but I couldn't extract EC firmware from it. If anybody has knowledge how to do it, please help!

10. jed.koo

jed.koo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    bought this from ebay but apparently it's different from the one came with the box.

It's look like a display item.

Does anybody know how to unscrew it and add a battery in it? I tried the usually way but bot working.