Sony Vaio Duo 13 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by CoolHotCold, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vogelbung

Vogelbung I R Judgemental

Reputations:
    Just recover. That's what I did. I went thru all the VAIO updates first from a fully patched Win8 until there were no more updates, then ran the 8.1 upgrade. Then I ran VAIO update again until there were no more updates.
    I often had to install just one by itself or click on the update itself to go to the webpage and download the update - but I always let VAIO Update control what was to be updated.

2. truplayr

truplayr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As Vogelbung stated, that's exactly what worked for me as well. Just letting the machine do all the updates. They all will come eventually. But it will take a few hours minimum, with all the re-starts and the machine looking for the updates.

If you haven't deleted your recovery partition (knowing you did that as you would then probably put it on some USB disk or hard drive), then if you remove everything and install windows, there is only one option left and that would be Windows 8. if your laptop came with it. Your laptop will go back to the new fresh installed Windows 8 just like the first time you powered it on. Only exclusion to this would be the bios as you cannot reverse that, but it doesn't matter.

To put it bluntly, you cannot recover to Win 8.1, as your partition is Win 8 and always will be. You cannot create a new Win 8.1 by any simple means and not without knowledge. Certainly not by accident.

You cannot just replace your recovery partition at least without being aware of it and knowing what you are doing.

Just back-up your files and choose "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" and your laptop will be same as Day 1 With Windows 8 if you had it originally.

I should know as I did it like 3-4 times, until just let the vaio update handle it.

In two weeks you won't remember the old login screen

If you update correctly the battery life should remain more or less about the same. I'm not sure is it as good as with Win 8, but should run anything from 5 to 8 hours, or longer.

Sleep should be also resolved with correct update order as well as the keyboard problems.

edit. just don't update anything manually. Just let the windows updates and vaio updates run its course. Of course you can remove the McAffee crap and similar as they will come back as you do the recovery.

edit 2. I never did the recovery using the sony assistance. I did it directly from Windows if it makes any difference.

3. ejmirza

ejmirza Newbie

Reputations:
    wait, so what you are saying is that i should just recover from the assit button boot and i should be back to windows 8?

Please guide me O wise cat!

4. ejmirza

ejmirza Newbie

Reputations:
    can you explain what do you mean by "I never did the recovery using the sony assistance. I did it directly from Windows if it makes any difference" ??

so the proper procedure is to recover to factory fresh install -> update only from sony VAIO update until all updates are completed (restart as many times required) -> update to windows 8.1 in microsoft store -> install all the new VAIO updates that will show up until there is nothing left -> proceed to party hard (optional)

my laptop did come with windows 8. what were the interface improvements you liked the most in windows 8.1?

5. truplayr

truplayr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I never used the Vaio recovery assistance. I've always used "Settings" --> Change PC Settings --> Update and Recovery --> Recovery --> Remove everything and re-install Windows

You got it correct, just in addition also let Windows do all the updates. Altogether it takes time but eventually you will have a fully functional laptop.

So let Vaio update and Windows updates run all the updates available, until none exists. After Choose to download the Win 8.1 update and after the download and install let the Vaio and Windows updates take place automatically, not manually. To make sure all the updates will takes it course just hang with the Win 8 for a day or two, so that you can be 100% sure all the updates have taken place.

In general the improvements are often how the UI functions and once you get a hold of those small tweaks and realize the small improvements here and there you might realize that they have done a lot to improve the general usability.

Because my previous updates (two-three times) had gone wrong and the laptop wasn't functioning properly regarding things like battery life etc... I decided to go back to Windows 8, and tried to use it, but realized rather soon that couldn't bear Win 8 any more as it felt a bit non-functional compared to Win 8.1.

Once you have used Win 8.1 couple of weeks, you cannot return to Win 8 as it feels cramped without all the fine tuning and overall usability experience is so well enhanced compared to Win 8.

When you go to Win 8.1, I would like to recommend to install "Touch Me Gesture Studio Beta" from Microsoft store. It's really nice and useful addition for improving the overall touch interface.

edit. you can also check this site but it basically confirms what I have written to you: http://www.sony-asia.com/microsite/...oductcategory/it+personal+computer#limitation

6. ejmirza

ejmirza Newbie

Reputations:
    will give it a try and report back. seems like a looong process.

on a side note, what is your opinion on the new VAIO flip? except battery life i am liking it quite a lot.

7. HigginsHere

HigginsHere Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Alarming problem: Left my Duo 13 charging over night, woke up to it acting erratically and having trouble turning on. I held down power button and restarted to find out I'm somehow at 0% battery, and the computer does NOT want to charge. It's staying at 0%, plugged in, not charging?! If I unplug it, it shuts off soon enough. I have switched outlets, checked if there's something wrong with the wire, and I have no idea what to do.

Please help!

8. Sher the Love

Sher the Love Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After an 8 month long quest and multiple erroneous products (vaio flip's noisy fan and the Surface Pro 2's sleep/wake issue) I've come to the Vaio Duo. I was able to pick it up last night for a good price with the already $200 price drop plus 10% student discount. So far, I like it a lot. There are a couple things that are driving me a bit nuts though.

1) The pen is very loud when writing compared to my Samsung 500T and even the Surface pro with the plastic tip. Is there any way to make it any more quiet? I feel like an annoyance in class taking notes with all the clicking. It's almost like there are two professors writing with chalk on the board... Well, not that loud, but it's loud. EDIT: I am currently using the gray tip

2) The hover/stand off distance seems to be almost half of the Surface Pro. Is there any way to make this larger? I end up moving the page a lot and zooming on accident in Onenote. My 500T has a similar distance, but it seems palm rejection kicks in much quicker.

Other than that my only complaints are slight screen flex when writing and I think viewing angles could be much better. I'm about out of options and my 500T has been acting up. Sadly, part of me feels like I'm settling, but there isn't much else out there.

9. banc

banc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I agree with you on the first point. I'm also not happy with the noise as with with my old Samsung Galaxy Note tablet (Wacom stylus) it was not an issue at all! Then again I remember that it was harder to move the stylus on the Galaxy Note whenever the screen got finger prints (it got a bit sticky). Of course not much but just enough so you had to use more force. This is better with the Duo from my point of view.
    In some early post a guy used tape around the tip before putting it in the stylus (he also posted a picture) so it couldn't move anymore when it touched the screen (that's what makes the noise). For me this worked to reduce the noise but the stylus recognition became unusable (I guess the tip has to move a bit).
    Would love to hear what others say about their experience with the stylus!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. Sher the Love

Sher the Love Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I put some Siran wrap around it. Seems a little more quiet. I'll have a better idea tomorrow during class. Thanks for the input.

I'm assuming a bit of screen flex is normal? There's actually a little gap in the seem by the windows button that makes the screen move a bit too. It's not really affecting my writing, it's just annoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.