1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Sony Vaio Duo 13 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by CoolHotCold, May 8, 2013.

1. CoolHotCold

CoolHotCold Notebook Evangelist

So it's not released yet, and in fact hasn't even been announced by any tech blogs or rumour sites, so NotebookReview has broken the story, with the first place to post pictures. (See this thread)

So To start off a quick list of the specs,
    • Two backwards facing USB 3.0 ports
    • One SD/Duo combo card reader
    • Full sized HDMi slot on the back
    • 10 Hour battery life
    • Trilluminous 13" 1920x1080 Digitizer display
    • Redesigned sliding function.
    • Backlit keyboard
    • Trackpad
    • ClearAudio+ Speakers
    • Thinner and Lighter than the Duo 11
    • Exmor front and back facing cameras
    • NFC and GPS
    • NO VGA or Ethernet or apparently a thunderbold/displayport.

So aside from it looking different than it's Duo 11 brother, it's got a bigger screen at the same resolution with a thinner and lighter construction.

Photo's time

yDMVEL0.jpg
    1zd85vX.jpg
    qFKQBoM.jpg
    JEvZnkK.jpg
    dOo4xxN.jpg

Expect it to come in various flavours of Intel i3/5/7, with 4/8GB Ram and 128/256/512GB of SSD space, No Haswel this revision I expect, but it may be using the updated Ivy Bridge chips the new Lenovo Yoga is using to get to that 10 hour battery life.

I believe it will either be released for sale in the next 2 weeks or you'll hear more information within the next two weeks, either way NBR has the first pictures published online.

Expect this thread and post to be updated when more information becomes available.

*Edit*

Depending when Sony announce it for release it may well have a Haswell processor, all depends on the timing

2. incvn

incvn Notebook Enthusiast

update more pictures plsssssssss

3. chippysteve

chippysteve Notebook Enthusiast

This is interesting and a completely new type of design (sunken keyboard, battery, potentially, behind screen.

I put the case forward for it being Haswell here but there cold be some marketing tricks going on. 10hrs on IVB (even the Y-Series) doesn't 'fit' with this design and weight IMO.

We'll see! Thanks for posting the info CoolHotCold

Chippy.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The small trackpad on the front lip is an interesting idea. The Duo 11's optical trackpoint was a good idea but just doesn't work that smoothly.

I still like the Duo 11 better. The port selection (including the VGA port and the ethernet port) has saved my bacon more than once in a business setting. And I love the sheet battery and the digitizer stylus (stored in the silo in the sheet battery).

5. heavenly_wild

heavenly_wild Notebook Deity

I would prefer an 11" screen just for the sake of portability but if the Duo 13 is lighter and perhaps just a wee bit bigger than the 11, I would definitely consider it. The bezel on the Duo 11 can be cut down to fit in a 13" screen I believe.

I doubt it wouldn't be Haswell considering the speculated 10 hour battery life. Ivy Bridge doesn't have that kind of tech yet does it?

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Not without the sheet battery and the associated bulk...though the Duo 11 can hit ten hours or close to it with the sheet battery ;)

7. heavenly_wild

Yeah that's the thing. If the Duo 13 has 10 hours battery life without the added bulk of a battery sheet, then I am sold.

The slimness of the device looks awesome. Can't wait for the official release information!

8. niea

niea Notebook Enthusiast

9. cat3600

cat3600 Newbie

Man if they can offer the Duo 13 at almost the same footprint as the Duo 11, I will jump on it. Sigh! and I just bought the Duo 11:( Though I would prefer a new Duo 11 with a lighter, sleeker and 10 hours battery. For portability the 11.6 size is awesome

10. heavenly_wild

11. CoolHotCold

It won't be within a month, I can guarantee that. (Sorry I'm unable to go into specifics but I can tell you that much).

12. nanofeel

nanofeel Newbie

Oh thats too bad...so when do u think it will be? I am thinking to purchase the duo 11 but kinda want to wait for the 13 if its only a couple months.

13. CoolHotCold

Sorry, I can't guess because I know the exact date. But I promised not to leak anymore information about the duo & other models till Sony Officially announce them.

14. Widerthan5

Widerthan5 Notebook Geek

Thanks for the info! I have been holding off a new laptop purchase since Dec 2012 for a Haswell refresh and now I finally have something to look forward to! Awesome! Thanks alot!

I bet Sony is not gonna be happy regarding this leak!

15. Widerthan5

Widerthan5 Notebook Geek

Don't post it publicly. PM us! Don't worry, I'm not a Sony rep.

16. Euphorus

Euphorus Notebook Enthusiast

I hope this comes in a nice black finish option.

17. ota-con

ota-con Notebook Deity

I hope no glossy cheap plastic like on the Duo 11.

18. Sunny*Nunny

Sunny*Nunny Newbie

To me this has the potential to be my perfect device and I cannot wait to get my hands on this if it is what it appears to be.
    Any chance this will have a Wacom digitizer?

I was considering the Surface Pro but MS have messed up big time with the timing of the UK release being so close to a new wave of devices with better processors.

Really curious to hear more about this device including UK release and price............... Anyone?

19. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

UK release date expected 21 to 26 June according to a leaked webpage on another thread.

20. Sunny*Nunny

Sunny*Nunny Newbie

Wow............ thanks.

How has this stayed under the radar for so long if it's so close to launch????

So....... price and digitiser specs are all that's left to learn for me then, but I guess I can compromise with the digitiser.

Surface pro now officially released in the UK..... resisting temptation in order to wait for the 13" Sony.