1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Sony Vaio CA Official Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Micaiah, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The CA is now available to order. This is the owners' thread for prospective owners and owners of the 14.1 Vaio CA.

Just ordered a VPCCA190X with the i5 2540M, 6630M GPU and the 900p screen, will be here in 5 to 7 days. Crossing fingers they are not using the same display from the CW series.

2. soguxu

soguxu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tailgunner, that's the same as my order, if you got it in black. I did not choose to upgrade the memory though, I can do that for $80 from newegg/amazon and then sell my existing sticks.

3. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I got it in white. I actually configured the notebook with the base 4 GB of RAM and the 320 GB hard drive. I have a pair of 4 GB DDR3-1333 RAM sticks sitting around and I just picked up a 160 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD for it. Other than the underclocked GPU and a possibly disappointing 900p screen, this notebook is the closest I've seen to my ideal notebook.

4. soguxu

Reputations:
    I ordered on 3/14 and I got Fedex tracking information on 3/25. It's being shipped directly from China.

5. billu77

billu77 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Even I ordered on March 14th but the order status still shows as "being built". It shows the estimated shipping date to be 03/29. When is yours due to arrive?

6. soguxu

Reputations:
    Mine is already in the US! Estimated delivery is 3/30 by 10:30 AM according to Fedex.

7. soguxu

Reputations:
    It shipped really fast. I have my Vaio CA in my hands already and it looks good in black:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. NYSportz

NYSportz Newbie

Reputations:
    Looks nice! How's the screen?

9. soguxu

Reputations:
    The AMD Catalyst control center is missing many options, such as gpu information and overclocking. How can I enable them?
    The screen looks fine by the way, not on par with the best screens, but definitely better than the 768p screen on my 13" Asus.

10. soguxu

Reputations:
    I am absolutely hating the software on this thing with regards to switchable graphics. Every time I need to run something, I have to specify whether it is intel or amd graphics, what a POS. I don't want any settings for applications. I just want a PHYSICAL BUTTON to turn graphics on or off, that's it.
    Ridiculous that they can't get such a basic feature right. AMD sucks.

11. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try the drivers off AMD's site. OEM drivers tend to be missing some advanced features in exchange for simplicity/compatibility. So how's the fan noise?

12. soguxu

Reputations:
    The fan is constantly on but not really bothering me, similar to my UL30VT under moderate load. The amount of bloatware is bad, I absolutely hate everything made by Symantec. I'm copying the files off my SSD at the moment so I can put it inside the Vaio.

A good thing is that the hard drive and memory are really easy to upgrade. The DVD drive can also be removed by just undoing 2 screws. I'm going to order a caddy for a 2nd hdd and an external enclosure for the DVD I'm removing.

By the way, you cannot get drivers from AMD for Sony OEM laptops, they won't work.

13. vasra

vasra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  14. Midnighthawk

Midnighthawk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What's the battery life for this thing?

15. billu77

billu77 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Congrats on getting ur CA so soon. My order status changed to "shipped" today and it shows that it was picked up from a location in china and ETA: before 10.30am on 31st March. I hope it comes soon. Could you provide a brief list of what all bloatware to remove?

16. soguxu

Reputations:
    Vaio CA uses the flawed B2 Sandy Bridge chipset, but Hard drive is on port 0 and DVD is on port 1, and there are no eSata ports on the thing, so it's not something that will ever effect anyone. This also means that if you replace the DVD with an SSD in a caddy, you can raid it with the main HDD (replaced with a SSD) and both would be on 6 Gbit/s Sata interfaces.

About the bloatware, I am not even going to bother with it since I'm installing

17. fitftw

fitftw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    bloatware is why I would get Fresh Start with Windows Pro. It's only $50 and seems worth it to me.

18. soguxu

Reputations:
    For me fresh start is not that useful since the first thing I do is to replace the hard drive with my SSD :)

19. soguxu

Reputations:
    Screen info: (I got the 1600x900 screen)
    AUO B140RW02 V0
    Manufacture date: 2009, ISO week 33

20. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    200 nit screen with a rated contrast ratio of 400:1. Only a 45% NTSC spectrum display. Better than what the CW and EA had, but not by much. That's not going to fly for me, I guess I will start hunting for a better screen.