Sony Updates VAIO Y Series With 11.6" Display Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Charles P. Jefferies, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahbeyvuhgehduh

Ahbeyvuhgehduh Lost in contemplation....

Reputations:
    Why would someone choose this 11.6" model over, say, something produced by Asus, MSI, HP or another company? What makes it "different"?

2. coldmack

coldmack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well at least for me the advantage of Sony vs the other(except for Apple) is the better support I got. I remember when I had an HP notebook I got someone who was outsourced, while with Sony I got someone closer to me in Florida. Plus, with Sony you get an actual store to get tech support if you live in a larger city/metro area. I am lucky here so I was able to to go to the local Sony Store to have my comp looked and then sent in to get fixed. They are pretty much the only other company besides apple to have retail stores(at least that I know of). That a nice advantage in my book.

The other stuff are a bit more subjective like the possibility of a better screen, and build quality(depending on which brand you are comparing it to).

3. chong67

chong67 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Only 1/2 lb lighter than the 13.3". Thats all ???

4. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    The websites I saw list it at 1.45 kg which is heavier as the Sony Z.

No wonder, the Y series uses magnesium while the Z uses carbon fiber.

5. chong67

chong67 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Shall I wait for this one or get the 13.3" Y now?

6. coldmack

Reputations:
    If this doesn't come with the optional ATI gpu, and you prefer something with a better gpu than the intel HD, I would go with the 13in now.

7. Fredi

Fredi Newbie

Reputations:
    I wasn't aware of this model but walking past a shop display today in Bangkok it caught my eye. One very sleek laptop.

I've previously looked at the Acer 8172 11.6" i380UM (W7 Pro) @24,600bt and the Lenovo X201i 12.1" i330M (DOS) @29,000bt, both small laptops slightly bigger than netbook size but this is easily the best looking. Had a brief play with it in the shop and I liked it a lot, felt good to me but I'm no laptop guru.

Some specs from the brochure:

Core i3-380UM 1.33GHz
    RAM: 2 GB
    Storage: 320 GB
    Intel HD Graphics
    11.6" WXGA
    1366x768
    VAIO Display + LED Backlight
    Battery Life: UP to 4 Hrs...
    Weight: 1.46 Kg

Model YA17GH W7 Pro @ 25,900 baht
    Model YA15FH W7 HP @ 23, 900 baht

The Sony is about 100g heavier @1.46 Kg but it comes with an optical drive unlike the others. The matt finish all round will always be a plus in my book as I dislike fingerprint magnets. I've always been a IBM/Lenovo fan but seriously looking at getting this. Can't find more detailed specs, not even listed on the Sony Thai portal. I suspect the true battery life will not be great but as long as I can get 3 hours then I can live with that.

8. Jayayess1190

Jayayess1190 Waiting on Intel Skylake

Reputations:
    No it doesn't.

9. Fredi

Fredi Newbie

Reputations:
    Maybe it's a typo but I have in front of me the brochure from Sony ????????? for the VAIO Y Series. In the column for optical drive for both the YA17GH & YA15FH it states: DVD RW/R DL/RAM Drive

There's an e-mail address on the brochure so I'll try that and see if I get a response.

10. coldmack

Reputations:
    Im sure if it came with an optical drive blu-ray would also be an option like it was on the 11.1in Vaio TT. And there is really models with optical drive, I might have to really switch if I like the screen size(specially if there is also a model with ati gpu).