Sony SZ750 Win7 64bit clean install (should help on other SZ's)

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by leslieann, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    I just took a look at that. I use my SZ71WN/C as a desktop laptop now. I have kept it for many years plugged in capped at 40%, but i charged it to full capacity to have a look at battery life. My battery now has 8% wear. In full power saving mode it is still showing me 6 plus hours available. I should be able to easily get 4hrs out of that over wifi.
    Brightness about 30%, network adapter settings set to medium transmit and roaming aggressiveness set to medium. DVD is off and i've disabled a few other things i'm not using. I'm also using it in power saving mode and 40hz refresh rate and wifi settings set to max power saving. I'm also using the W7 intel graphic drivers and set that to max power saving while using battery. I'm using Windows 7 32bit because i've got a scanner which does not work with a 64bit OS.

2. Mobimaniac

Mobimaniac Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi

The connection might be far-fetched, but I was wondering what's the biggest memory card capacity that the SZ7 can handle, running Vista/7 ?
    Be it through MS pro duo or in the memory card adapter.

Many thanks

3. jsmoller

jsmoller Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I realise that this is a VERY LONG and OLD thread but I just wanted to give kudos to the OP and everyone else who worked at attempting to get the Sony Vaio SZ gear working...

I recently acquired a VGN-SZ79GN-C at a very attractive price. I followed the guide from the beginning and read ALL 43 pages of posts. As others experienced in the past, I had wins and loses. The following items just don't work but that's OK for what I use this system for:

Fn+F5/F6 doesn't work after closing the lid or from hibernation
    Webcam light does not illuminate when cam is active
    Fn+F10 (zoom) does not work

These are livable for the intended usage of the machine.

Never having owned a Sony computing device previously, I am very much taken with the build quality. Today's "Executive/Professional" laptops/notebooks don't hold a candle to the Sony. I think that I'll keep this machine around for a while - I like it. Too bad that Sony decided to exit from the personal computing arena as even though their software support was terrible, Sony knows how to build hardware.

Win 7 Ultimate-64 running like a champ..

Thanks again for all who have participated in this thread!

Kind regards,

Jan

4. moruobai

moruobai Newbie

Reputations:
    Had to sign up just to thank the OP! This thread is legit!!

6 years later I just used this thread to install Windows 10 on my SZ330P. For the record that's a 10 year old machine running Windows 10 like a baws. Webcam works, I can speak with Cortana, fingerprint scanner allows me to log in, even the 3G WWAN works for crying out loud (though its faster to tether to my phone these days)!

I replaced the hard drive with a SSD, and got a new generic battery, about 2 years ago. The computer boots Windows 10 in 5 seconds!! Battery life is less impressive, about 2 hours. Completely disassembled the machine and replaced the fan about a a year ago. Zero noise now.

Still get the quirky brightness function key issue and the special keys just will not work. I can live with it. No hardware problems (except the fan) in 10 years. Best machine I've ever owned! Thanks again to the OP!

5. galaxyge

galaxyge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try to uninstall and then reinstall the Vaio Event Service. Tell me if it works - solved it perfectly for me (on Vaio Z)

6. moruobai

moruobai Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, the brightness key is now working suddenly. I changed the power plans to Windows defaults for plugged in (balanced) and on battery (power saver), and noticed the screen darkened quite a bit when on battery. I think the screen brightness was locked by the VAIO power plans somehow.

Hope this information helps anyone still doing this neo-retro computing thing. I honestly don't know what else you could ask out of a 10 year old machine. This is simply an incredible laptop. I wish Sony were still making these!

galaxyge likes this.