Sony SZ750 Win7 64bit clean install (should help on other SZ's)

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by leslieann, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gzwsc2007

gzwsc2007 Newbie

Reputations:
    I really want to say THANK YOU OP! I just upgraded my old SONY VGN-SZ780N to Windows 7 and everything works fine except the Fn+Brightness control. But That's not a big deal. I am really satisfied.
    Thank you again!

2. david_grid

david_grid Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I am looking for a new\used VGN-SZ750n.
    If someone sells it please send me an e-mail to: griddavid<__at__>rocketmail.com

3. billjonz

billjonz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,
    I benefitted greatly from this thread by upgrading my old SZ1 from XP to windows 8. Thanks to Jedstern, Leslieann and Olo for their contributions. It works fine, but not experienced the increased speed that I was hoping for, it's still as slow as ever.
    I have one problem which I'd appreciate help with, I have a 3rd unrecognised device described as ACPI/SNY5001. There are several drivers for ACPI system devices (eg module device, fixed feature button, processor aggregator), but I can't work out what the unknown device is. I saw a number of posts from people with the same problem, but they don't identify the device.
    Any ideas?

4. billjonz

billjonz Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm answering myself here! Apologies if it's in the wrong place. I found the solution in this post, it's for a different model but the solution works, just needed the appropriate original drivers for my model for XP:
    CountrySelector - Sony

5. wettek

wettek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gidday guys.

Just curious to know what sort of battery life you are getting out of your SZs. I upgraded my SZ58 (Asian version of SZ 670) to a T9300 processor, Windows 7 using Leslieanns guide, and installed a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD (not sure my computer likes it, seems to have had a few crashes on battery since installing), and find myself struggling to get 3 hours.
    What sort of battery life are all you old SZ users seeing?

Thanks and regards

6. fabiodt

fabiodt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I disabled the dvd-rom and installed a 240GBssd. Battery today runs around 3 hours. I just remember that when the computer was new, this battery never exceed 3 hours..

7. wettek

wettek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hard to believe they advetised it as below:

" Bundled Battery VGP-BPS10 Lithium-ion battery: up to 7 hours of use*12 " The caveat (12) probably should have said "when computer is hibernating" Anyone reckon their battery life dropped after installing Windows 7?

8. fabiodt

fabiodt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I never experienced more than 3 hours on this laptop (since Jan/2008). Maybe, with zero brightness on the screen, no CDMA, no WiFi, no USB, no Bluetooth, no sound, no cd rom, speed set on stamina, no nothing, it may reach 7 hours.. but with everything off, whats the point?

9. truelies

truelies Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's a long article. But I believe it's not perfect. I have sz270p, you let me install a lot of 750 software, then the brightness not work, then at the troubleshooting, I need to reinstall 3 software?

10. fabiodt

fabiodt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Didn't understand your point truelies. Can you be more clear about it?

Other important point guys. In the last 4 months, the processor is being hotter than usual. The fan is working almost 100% of the time, with 100% capabilities. Is anyone facing a similar issue? Did anyone already tried to cleaning the heatsink, wd40 on the fan parts and re-pasting the processors? If yes, can you guys post the results?