Sony SZ750 Win7 64bit clean install (should help on other SZ's)

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by leslieann, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leslieann

leslieann Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    SZ Series Windows 7 Clean install (32bit and 64bit)
    Primarily for the SZ750, but works most other SZ models.
    Yes, it's long, but it goes click by click so anyone can follow it.

Contributors who helped fine tune this guide:
    Rachel, James007bond, Jtravers, Jupillam, Aralos1999, CKF92, probably a few others I'm missing.

Printer Friendly View of this post:
    Laptop Forums and Notebook Computer Discussion - View Single Post - Sony SZ750 Win7 64bit clean install (should help on other SZ's)
    2011 SZ guide in RTF format – http://www.mediafire.com/?hoi7ioacj5irxus

Use at your own risk (!), I have personally been using and testing this, as have others, but nothing is 100% foolproof,
    32bit 100% working
    64bit 99.% working - See issues for an explanation.
    Software used, troubleshooting and Change log are at the bottom.

Issues and important notes, Please Read:
    Very few issues for the most part
    Keep in mind that each model is slightly different, while this works 100% for the SZ750, I cannot guarantee it will for every other.

WWAN – is iffy in 64 bit depending on model.
    FN Wireless key – is not going to work in 64bit unless you install the perfect matching SmartWi. Goodluck. For WIN7 RC and Betas, the situation is even worse.
    FN Brightness keys fail after resume on early models (SZ1-SZ5), the software here may deal with it, if not. Sorry. Even the new Sony Win7 stuff will not fix it.

A Note about the "new" Sony utilities on their website.
    Don't bother, you end up with FAR less functionality than you will with this guide. Sony simply put up utilities that work with Windows7, they didn't check to see if there is a driver to allow them to work or if the software worked well for our devices. If you call and ask, they “officially do not support Windows 7, despite posting the software.

Let's get started shall we?
    Download these (Note, no Sony utilities verify model any longer, these are the raw programs found on various Sony sites around the world):
    2011 SZ driver pack Essentials 72MB - 2011 SZ driver pack Essentials.rar
    2011 SZ driver pack Options 62MB - 2011 SZ driver pack Options.rar
    2011 SZ guide in RTF format – http://www.mediafire.com/?hoi7ioacj5irxus

The appropriate pre-patched Drivers | drivers for mobile cards and laptops | laptopvideo2go.com Nvidia driver
    Nvidia 267.31 32bit 72MB - Nvidia 267.31 32bit.rar
    Nvidia 267.31 64bit 96MB - Nvidia 267.31 64bit.rar
    I recommend placing a copy of the guide in with these, as well as putting the Nvidia drivers into the appropriate folder, backing all of these up, and storing them in a safe place.

The Install

Step 01 - Preliminaries and Tweaks
    First off, of course, do your install of Windows 7 if you haven't already, I recommend starting in stamina mode, as this is the perspective the guide is written from. Also, make sure that you are online. Wireless and wired networking works out of the box.

Go into control panel, at the top right, on the “View by:”, change it to “small icons”. When that is done go into “Folder Options”. Click on the “View” tab, change “Hidden Files and folders” to “Show hidden files and folders”, then uncheck the “hide extensions for known file names” (very bad to leave checked). Click Okay.

Now go to “System”, and then from the left menu, select “Advanced System Settings”. In the new window change to the “Hardware tab” then select “Device Install Settings”. Select “Yes, do this automatically” then select save changes.

Go into “Sound”, select the “Recording Tab”, you should see two microphones, one is disabled. Right click on it and select “Set as default device”, (Windows defaults to the mic input is the problem). Now click “Okay” but leave Control Panel open.

Step 02 - (Driver) Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
    In “Device Manager”, you should see Mass Storage Device Controller with an exclamation point. Right click on it, select “update driver software, then select “Browse my computer for software driver”. Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”. Click the “Next” button and then “Have Disk”
    Point to the appropriate Texas Instruments driver, labeled “Step 02 (Driver) Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller” in the driver and software package. Don't close Device Manager just yet.

Note: 32bit users can use the original Sony Vista Business Driver, however this is newer.
    (Taken from a late model FZ series w/Win7)

Step 03 - (Driver) Camera Drivers
    In Device Manager, look for “Imaging Devices”, click the arrow key to open that section or double click it. Now right click on “USB Video Device” and select “update driver software, then select “Browse my computer for software driver”. Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”. Click the “Next” button and then “Have Disk”. Point to the folder labeled “Step 03 (Driver) Camera Drivers” from the driver and software package. Open the folder named “Ricoh-MotionEye 64 and 32”, and select the file.

If that fails, try the folder labeled Sony “Alternates”.
    If that fails, then you will need to go on a hunt. You can try the links at the bottom or browse the thread.

Camera drivers were taken from:
    Camera Drivers
    32bit Original Sony Camera Driver
    Sony eSupport - VGN-SZ750N - Software Updates & Drivers
    64bit drivers (and 32bit) (unofficial)
    Index of /public
    Alternate site:
    VaioCams.zip

Note: 32bit users can use this driver or the original Sony Vista Business Driver. Using the Ricoh driver will make the original Sony Camera software to no longer work, but other programs, such as Skype will.

Close out control panel.

Step 04 - Update Intel Drivers at Intel.com
    At this point it's a good time to update anything Intel.
    Open your web browser and go to Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Server and Embedded Processor Technology - Intel. On the Intel site, hover on “support”, then click on “Automatically Detect and Update My Drivers and Software” and then follow the prompts. On some web browsers you may need to scroll down a bit, and don't forget to watch for the yellow bar at the top on Internet Explorer if you are using that.

Download and install any drivers that you need, and reboot as necessary. If you do not need to reboot, or didn't update any drivers, do it now anyway. Warning – Do not rely on Windows update, I have had several bad Intel Wireless drivers this way (corrupted all sorts of files). Get these from the source.

Step 05 - Bluetooth drivers - Use only if needed.
    The Microsoft 64bit drivers for the bluetooth radios isn't stable. If yours is unstable, try these drivers. Open the folder labeled “Step 05 Bluetooth drivers” and run the applicable setup file. You may need to use Device manager to install.
    Note that at least one RC candidate has severe bluetooth issues and this may not fix it.
    (Taken from a late model FZ series w/Win7)

Step 06 - Intel Driver Power Management Correction
    In battery saver modes (particularly, when you switch from AC to battery) the screen will flicker as the Intel Power management kicks in, and can crash the driver. Windows 7 handles it fine, so we need to disable the Intel Power Management.
    Go into Control Panel and open the Intel® GMA Driver for Mobile applet
    Go to “Display Settings” on the left side/
    On the lower right corner, click”Power Settings”
    Move the slider up to “Disable Power Settings”
    Press Ok
    Press Ok
    You can close out any open windows now.

Step 06 - Sony Shared Library 4.1.00.09190
    Open the folder labeled “Step 06 - Sony Shared Library 4.1.00.09190”.
    Right click on the setup file and select “Run As Administrator”.
    (Taken from SZ7 Series Vista Business Software)
    Restart, or don't.

Step 08 - Sony Control Center 2.1.00.09190
    Open the folder labeled “Step 08 - Sony Control Center 2.1.00.09190”.
    Restart

Step 09 - Sony Battery Control 1.2.00.02130
    Open the folder labeled “Step 09 - Sony Battery Control 1.2.00.02130”.
    (Taken from SZ6 Series Vista Business Software))

Step 10 - Vaio Settings Utilities Series 3.1.00.09240
    Open the folder labeled “Step 10 - Vaio Settings Utilities Series 3.1.00.09240”.

Step 11 - Vaio Event Services 3.3.00.11020
    Open the folder labeled “Step 11 - Vaio Event Services 3.3.00.11020”.

Step 11B Beep Removal (optional)
    If you would like to disable the beep that occurs when you change a setting:
    Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files (X86)\Sony\Vaio Event Services
    Look for pi.wav, right click, and rename it to pi.bak.

Step 12 - Vaio Power Management 2.3.01.10310
    Open the folder labeled “Step 12 - Vaio Power Management 2.3.01.10310”.

Step 13 - Nvidia Registry Patch
    Open the folder labeled “Step 13 - Nvidia Registry Patch”.
    Right click on the Nvidia.reg file and select “merge”.
    (Taken from the SZ750, this fixes brightness controls, however it may not work after waking from standby on some. RC and beta candidates, need not bother, it will not work. Period)
    Restart

Step 14 - Webcam Companion (optional)
    Open the folder labeled “Step 14 - Webcam Companion (optional)”.
    Double click on the setup file and follow the prompts.
    (Taken from the Sony SZ7 Series Win7 files)

Step 15 - Alps Driver (optional)
    Open the folder labeled “Step 15 - Alps Driver (optional)”.
    (32bit has been taken from late model Z w/Win7)
    (64bit has been taken from late model FW w/Win7)

Step 16A - Disk Drive Protection Driver (optional)
    Open the folder labeled “Step 16A - Disk Drive Protection Driver (optional)”.
    For 32bit, double click on the DPInst32.exe file.
    For 64bit, double click on the DPInst.exe file.
    (Taken from the Sony SZ750 Win7 files)

Step 16B - Disk Drive Protection Software (optional)
    Open the folder labeled “Step 16B - Disk Drive Protection Software (optional)”.
    (Taken from the Sony SZ750 Win7 files)

Step 17 - Switch to Speed Mode and restart
    Select Speed Mode, restart and then wait for Windows to load the generic driver.

Step 18 - Nvidia Driver 267.31
    Open Control Panel, then “Device Manager”. Look for “Display Adapters”, click the little arrow to expand it or just double click. Right click on “Standard VGA Graphics Adapter” and select “update driver software, then select “Browse my computer for software driver”. Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”. Click the “Next” button and then “Have Disk”. Point to the appropriate Nvidia driver. It will give you an error that says “Windows can't verify the publisher of this device software”. This is because of using the modded INF that allows it to work with the newer driver. Select “Install this driver software anyway”.

Note: How to get the newest driver when this guide becomes dated..
    This is not as simple as downloading a simple driver so please read all of this.
    Go to NVIDIA & Laptop News | Latest NVIDIA drivers and related news | laptopvideo2go.com, at the top click on drivers.
    Scroll down and find the newest driver and appropriate operating system. Click on it.
    Click the “Click here to download driver and inf file” link
    Scroll down and click the “Click here to download the modified inf file.” link.
    Note we start with the INF file, not all drivers have the inf file, if this one does, save the inf to your desktop then download the driver. If the INF file link errors, you need to go back and try the next driver from the list on the drivers page. When you find one with the inf, download it to your desktop.
    Now download the driver and save it as well to your desktop.

Run the driver setup, it will ask you where to extract it to, leave it on the desktop, it will create a folder with the driver number as the name, such as “267.31_win7x32”.
    Right click and “Copy” the inf file you saved earlier.
    Now go into the Nvdia directory, then into the Display.Driver folder.
    Right click in here and select “Paste”, it will ask you to overwrite the current inf file. Allow it.
    You now have a modified, up to date driver. Just follow the steps above to install it.

Note: You only need the Display.Adapter directory, the rest is the install program that we aren't using, this was what was included in the packet you downloaded.

Step 19 - SmartWI Controller (optional)
    Warning, trouble ahead!!!
    Open the folder labeled “Step 17 - SmartWI Controller (optional)”.
    Open the appropriate folder for 32bit or 64bit.
    32bit is the default 32bit version that ships with the SZ750, use which ever software came with your model to control the wireless and bluetooth if one was provided. No sweat.

64bit is where trouble begins.
    The SmartWi that comes with the SZ750 is designed to run on Sprint. However, that software was designed ONLY for 32bit and will crash 64bit windows, BADLY. So what we have done here is used the SmartWi from the FW486j/h or z520 model, unfortunately, I have been unable to replicate these experiments. This software will turn on and off each system, however, it shows Verizon logos and more than likely will not dial the card. Your mileage may vary.

(32bit taken from SZ750n Series Vista Business Software)
    (64bit taken from Z520 w/Win7)
    Remember, even EU variants were different here.

Step 20 - WWAN drivers (must be hand installed through Device Manager) (optional)
    32bit, once again, use any drivers provided. Odds are, Windows has them, or Sony does.

For 64bit...
    Warning, SERIOUS crazy stuff ahead!!!, not for amateurs or those without a lot of willpower to get things done
    If you need this function, consider 32bit or getting a USB card or tethering your cell phone instead.
    For the really brave, consider replacing the card inside. This requires almost total disassembly of your notebook, which is A LOT of work and at risk, so go the external route. This information is provided for adventurous people only.

The SZ7 uses the same card as the Vaio FW, so the drivers are from a later model, that has a 64bit OS option. I can verify the card coming on, I even managed a short term GPS signal from it. I cannot verify that you will get it to work though. Because of this, I am only going to describe how I got this to work, not in depth step by step. If you can't figure this part out, you shouldn't bother. Open Device Manager, and put it to one side. Now open SmartWi on the other side. Toggle the WWAN, now QUICKLY, right click on any new devices that popup, and point to these drivers. Repeat as necessary until all are in place. Fun huh? Now, get frustrated and just go buy an external card or tether (unless you are one of the few who get it to work and want to use it). You now need a dialer, good luck.
    Here is more help:
    Laptop Forums and Notebook Computer Discussion - View Single Post - Sony SZ750 Win7 64bit clean install (should help on other SZ's)

Remember, even EU variants were different here. You are pretty much on your own here.

Troubleshooting:
    Function Keys stop working after waking from standby
    This is a known problem, and one no one has an answer to, the only fix is to restart. Hopefully someday someone or Sony will deal with it. I don't have the issue so I can't do much from my end, not that I would know how. This is a Sony driver issue, probably something not designed for 64bit.

Function keys not working at all.
    This is a COMMON problem. Two things cause this, the first is you didn't follow the guide. Drivers must be in place and running before you install the utilities and they need to be done in a certain order. The second happens when people are trying to fix a notebook where they tried to tackle this on their own. Again, it's a matter of making sure the drivers are running first and the order of install. The solution is re-install the utilities. Order this time is irrelevant, HOWEVER, notebook utilities has twist to it. The first time you run the installer, it installs, the second time it UN-installs. It alternates each time you run it. Pay attention when you install it.

Brightness (only) adjustment not working. Possibility #1
    Install the Nvidia registry patch.

Brightness (only) adjustment not working. Possibility #2
    Try installing Sony Shared Library, Vaio Settings Utilities Series and Vaio Event Services from your specific model. Note, this could be risky, but not likely. These may be included in a program of different name for your model, so you may need to search them out. On the SZ750, the latter 2 are included in Notebook Utilities.

Brightness adjustment not working. Possibility #3
    There was a Release Candidate (RC or Public Beta) of Windows7 that no matter what I did, it would not allow brightness to work.

Noisy Fan
    Remove the bottom cover and clean out the fan and heat sink.
    This may or may not help.

My screen is black, and the system will not boot.
    First off, don't panic!
    Sometimes this occasionally happens if the system overheats, but also seems to just be a problem with Sony in general. It's really rare though. Many times, you can simply unplug it, and remove the battery. This will reset things. If that fails, repeat, but hit the power button while everything is disconnected, this drains any leftover power. If all of this fails you will need to unplug or replace the bios battery. If it was running recently then the battery is likely fine. To do this, you have to remove the keyboard and palm rest, the battery sits just above the front rubber pad on the bottom of the laptop. If you look through the vent on the front with a flashlight you can see it (it's a thin black disk). There is a connector right below the touchpad buttons to plug and unplug it. This resets the bios to factory and will fix most Sony systems that refuse to even boot into bios. Many have bought Sony notebooks off eBay in this condition for cheap because the owner was unware of this.

I upgraded to a ______ wireless card and now I have a lot of static.
    Fear not, I have your answer! See this page:
    Stopping wireless static in Sony SZ series (after upgraded wireless)

Intel Switching Popups – should be fixed now.
    I HATE THESE, they popup and will over a large chunk of your screen for up to 3 minutes.
    It was designed for the Z, I think, my quick tests showed it was helping speeds on the SZ models since we cannot enable hybrid with out a reboot. Z's can. Unfortunately you cannot adjust this until we have installed the Nvidia driver or I would have done it sooner.

First switch back to stamina mode and restart.
    Go into Control Panel, Power Options, then click “change Plan Options”. It doesn't matter which.
    Now click “Change Advanced Power Settings”.
    Note, the drop down will allow you to change for each different power system, unfortunately this means you have to change this setting for any that you use.
    Scroll down to where you see GPU Settings and click the + sign to expand it.
    Now click the plus to expand Nvidia Hybrid SLI Graphics,
    Next to “Battery”, change both settings to “Save Power (motherboard GPU)”.
    Now repeat on “Plugged In”.

Repeat this process on every power profile you want then click “OK”.
    You can now close out the other windows.

Required for things to work:
    This is what is listed in the Programs And Features in control panel. I include this because the utilities are not the same from one model to another. However, most models can use the utilities listed here regardless if they have an SZ750 or not.
    Note: The exception is the original Sony Nvidia registry patch, which I provide stripped so any SZ can use it.
    Notebook Utilities (This installs includes Event Services, Setting Utility Series, Battery Checker (On this model this includes battery care), Camera Capture Utility, Power Management, VAIO Launcher)
    TI flash driver for the memory stick slot, this removes the last exclamation point in Device Manager
    Sony® Shared Library
    HDD Protection Driver
    (Optional)
    HDD Protection Software (Optional)
    POINTING_DRIVER_ALPS (Optional)
    Nvidia Registry Patch (enables brightness controls for Nvidia, people tend to skip this thinking it's not important)
    Nvidia driver
    I had to also use
    SZ6 Utilities (only needed the battery care function from it, the SZ750 one does not work in Win7 64bit)

Helpful Links.

Some of which were used in the creation of this guide.
    Drivers | drivers for mobile cards and laptops | laptopvideo2go.com
    Sony eSupport - VGN-SZ750N - Software Updates & Drivers
    ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/VAIO/ORIGINAL/
    http://www.vaio-link.com/os/vista/64bit/ (direct link VAIO | Support )
    ~Sony SZ Owners Lounge~ (check the 64bit guides as well as Win7)
    Laptop Forums and Notebook Computer Discussion - View Single Post - ~Sony SZ Owners Lounge~
    http://vaio.sonyelectronicscommunity.com/vaio/forum/
    100% Working Clean Vista x64 Install on SZ6
    100% Working Clean Vista x64 Install on SZ6
    Windows 7 Build 7000 on my Vaio SZ680
    Windows 7 Build 7000 on my Vaio SZ680
    SZ6 W7 32bit
    SZ650N/C with Windows 7
    SZ7 webcam alternative post
    My camera is working on Windows 7 64bit !!! (VGN-SZ750n)
    VGN-SZ71 WN/C with Windows 7 x64 (64 bit)
    VGN-SZ71 WN/C with Windows 7 x64 (64 bit)

Change Log:
    Version 4.0 Last Updated 10Mar11
    Added more info, fresh drivers, stripped the model checks in Sony software.
    Version 3.3 Last Updated 22Mar10
    Added more troubleshooting and more info in a few places.
    Version 3.2 Last Updated 22Mar10
    Fixed broken links and removed redundant text.
    Version 3.1 Last Updated 21Mar10 (afternoon)
    Added SLI popup step.
    Version 3.0 Last Updated 21Mar10
    For a complete list of prior changes, see the end of this guide.
    Details:
    Added info for other SZ models
    Added troubleshooting guide
    Updates:
    Mouse Gestures – working
    Web Cam – working (the light does not) (May no longer be necessary)
    Annoying Intel and Nvidia popups – gone
    Changed to latest Sony updates – (these need testing by others, I include the old ones just in case)

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. jupillam

jupillam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!
    Did you get your laptop with HDD anti shocked feature to work
    Thanks. To check whether it works or not, just tap your finger on the palm rest on the left side.

3. calaxer19

calaxer19 Newbie

Reputations:
    This is fantastic, thank you very much! I followed your instructions on I'm quite happy with the useability of my SZ750 running Win7 x64.

Here are some issues that I have noticed (and couldn't readily find a solution for):
    - Green light doesn't turn on when using camera
    - Microphone doesn't work
    - Brightness function keys don't work for Stamina Mode
    - Wireless function key doesn't work

Also, for the previous poster: HDD protection does seem to work fully (had to "tap" quite hard to engage even with the more sensitive "protection mode").

4. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    Thanks, for taking the time to do this. I'm sure it will help others. That webcam driver never worked for me.
    I used this here for my driver on my SZ7/C and just manually updated the driver in the device manager.The green light is working and everything, i don't have any problems with it.
    Ricoh Camera Driver - 6.210C
    http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-SZ71WN_C

My capture utility works as well. I can't remember what i installed for that although it probably was my 32bit drivers. You can put this into google to find out 2.7.03.09250

I own a EU model.

For my Nvidia drivers i used 64bit drivers that is specified for the SZ.
    EP0000139786.zip
    http://dls.update.sony.net/pub/oth/64/EP0000139786.zip
    http://vcl.vaio.sony.co.jp/download/unofficial/64/001.html

There are other drivers for the SZ there as well. I manually updated my extension parser and PI using the drivers from the above link. You need to update two of the unknown devices.

For the smart network i just used the updated file on this page.
    http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?m=VGN-SZ71WN_C&l=en_GB
    This is the driver
    http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computi...165709.exe&m=VGN-SZ71WN_C&ip=EP0000165709.htm
    I got nearly everything working bar my card readers a couple of days ago.

To get your brightness working you will need to install Sony DLL, Event Service, PI and the firmware extension parser. You may also need to install Sony shared library although i never needed to do that.

5. katsun

katsun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi I have a SZ670N/C, and when I try to install Sony Shared Library I get a message, "This update is not intended for use with your computer model."

Can someone please help the noob find Sony Shared Library for SZ670 model?

Thank You :)

6. katsun

katsun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Another question, I need to follow your steps in sequential order, otherwise some drivers may not work properly? Is that correct? Because I am stuck at Sony Shared Library, and was wondering if I can skip that and continue go down the list? Thanks again for your help!

7. Synthesia

Synthesia Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good stuff, thanks. I am going to test this out on my SZ680 this weekend.

Just wondering whether the Sony Battery Checker app is really necessary though...I may just leave that one as is.

Btw, no BSOD's yet? I remember I got what seemed a fully working Windows 7 installation working early August, but I did still get a couple of random BSOD's quite often so switched back to my Vista backup.

And is the Battery Checker utility really necessary? As well as the other utilities? I don't really think so.

8. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    You need to install a universal extractor and save and then select and extract that file.
    http://legroom.net/software/uniextract

9. leslieann

leslieann Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You are quite welcome everyone.

Yes, the feature works, and is even adjustable.

I completely forgot about that light, but I have never had any use for the webcam. The light isn't that important really though.

Shoot, I forgot about the microphone, I fixed the guide, see step 13.

Brightness and sound adjustment work fine, as does the works fine for me.

You are correct on the wireless function button, I always just used the slider switch so I didn't notice. All of the rest seem to work, this leads me to think it is a wireless driver issue. As with the light, it's a minor issue.

Without Sony support, some of these things may never work absolutely 100%. I'm quite happy with this though.

Update, after more thinking, I am sure this is the wireless causing it, I will look for a different driver instead of the default WIn7 one and maybe I can find one that will respond to the function switch. I'm sure there is one.

10. aralos1999

aralos1999 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Rachel, thank you for all your contribution to help with the W7 x64 installation on the SZ6/7. The Ricoh camera driver in your link is for 32 bit, how do you manage to get it to install on x64 system?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.