1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Sony SE Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by BigNerd, Sep 30, 2011.

1. avmaxfan

avmaxfan Notebook Evangelist

Well actually its more to do with how notebookcheck really rates a display. And they are quite inconsistent really. And really I would take their display ratings with large grains of salt.
    But they are at least a bit better than notebookjournal who only rate displays on contrast ratio and brightness measurements.

F21 - Scored only 90% I am guessing because the measured contrast ratio was low. Only 390:1. And also that it did not completely cover AdobeRGB gamut

F22 - Scored only 90% because the viewing angles were not exceptionally good and did not cover sRGB completely.

SE- It too did not cover sRGB and rather fared worse than F22 but it measured a high contrast ratio together with superb viewing angles and screen uniformity. So that might be the reason.

2. Nuckin

Nuckin Notebook Enthusiast

If anyone uses PassMark's PerformanceTest, some Vaio SE's are popping up in their database for you to download and compare your current computer against or any other one in their online database. You can get a 30 day evaluation copy which is what I did. Pretty impressive i7 in it imo.

3. Russ.Dill@gmail.com

Russ.Dill@gmail.com Notebook Enthusiast

You have to put the second drive in the optical bay. There is a company that makes such a caddy for the Vaio SE.

4. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

For this configuration, the company is www.newmodeus.com.

If you're talking about how Sony does it and still has the optical drive, someone else on this thread said they use a special configuration of 2 SSDs in the space of the HDD, not sure if you can do that yourself.

5. Neuntoter

Neuntoter Notebook Consultant

Yeah more interested in 2SSDs as Sony does it.

Anyone bought the dual SSD configuration? Or is the normal drives that come in it 2.5"?

I really don't want to pay the ridicules price they are charging for ssds, but my fear is that it requires a special bracket or something.

Could someone with SSDs provide pictures as well as someone without, please. It would be in the interest of science, or well finding cheaper ways to upgrade.

6. hircus

hircus Notebook Geek

Biased towards the magenta spectrum?

7. zsero

zsero Notebook Deity

8. Gatehouse

Gatehouse Notebook Geek

9. coldmack

coldmack Notebook Virtuoso

If that is the case they why is there a discussion of orange/red not being accurate on the SE, while the Z, and F don't have it?

10. zsero

zsero Notebook Deity

I believe that given an advanced calibrator software, an accurate ICC profile can in fact be made for the SE, which compensates for the orange-shift.

I know this functionality is not present in most of the entry-level monitor calibration packages, but I think for example basICColor display can do the trick.

Can someone with a calibration device check if basICColor display can eliminate the orange-shift? The 15 day trial is downloadable from the official website:

basICColor display

11. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

Someone may have answered this but short of changing the screen... what can be done about RedOrangeGate?

(and please don't tell me "I'm looking at it wrong" :D )

12. moralar

moralar Notebook Geek

Simple. You just take the red pill... oh wait, it's orange! :confused:

I'm not returning my SE, because even with the inaccurate color, it still fulfills a larger subset of my requirements than anything else I can find at this time. However, I don't think we should let the orangeness slide without at least complaining to Sony about it. I don't expect talking to a customer service phone drone to do anything, so the trick is to find out how to send a letter that will actually get read by the right people...

13. Maroder

Maroder Newbie

Red/Orange: Is this really something you'll ever notice unless you're looking for it? From what i read here it sounds like a deal breaker..?

Can someone also please test and confirm that the new BIOS (31/10/2011) has fixed the SATA issue and now fully supports SATA-3?

14. sfo423

sfo423 Notebook Geek

Anyone comment on the SE1DGX/B? Its seems well specc'ed at:

Core i5 2430M / 2.4 GHz
    RAM 4 GB
    HDD 500 GB
    DVD-Writer
    Radeon HD 6470M / HD Graphics 3000
    Gigabit Ethernet
    WLAN : 802.11 a/b/g/n
    Bluetooth 2.1 EDR
    TPM
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    15.5" Widescreen LED backlight TFT 1920 x 1080

I've seen a few deals........can anyone comment (for non-gaming user) in terms of performance, quality and known issues? Nice looking machine.

15. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

No professional review has mentioned it with the sole exception of the NotebookCheck.net review, which mentioned it only in passing before giving the computer an outstanding score for screen quality. I suspect for certain people who are highly sensitive to the issue or who work in photo editing fields, it's an issue, but for most people they either never notice it or it's not a big deal to them.

It's kind of like how my F2 apparently has poor vertical viewing angles, but I've never noticed it at all. But the 99% like me who don't notice or care don't post about it online. It's the 1% that do care who post online.

16. Nuckin

For everyday use, those specs are great. If there's anything more specific than non-gaming you're worried about using this computer for, I can't weigh in on. but the specs are definitely overkill for web/email usage

17. sfo423

sfo423 Notebook Geek

Office apps, several web apps, photo editing, family video and that's about it. It seems like a steal for $700. Especially w/the screen.

18. Nuckin

You're golden then, I don't know who has the SE for $700 but that's awesome. I spent about $1400 for the 15.5" with an i7 and extended battery, though i plan to game a little bit on the go

19. sfo423

sfo423 Notebook Geek

I've been looking for reviews on this Vaio on here and I can't seem to get any in the search results. I'd like a little user insight before buying......but I won't wait too long.

20. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

What type of user insight are you looking for? There are several of us who have been using the SE for over 3 weeks now... and are keeping them.

I think this is one of the best light/thin/FullHD notebooks out there... and I've been looking for a very long time. I had spent a month or so with the Dell XPS 15z and the Sony SE is much better in my opinion. I also think i got a pretty good deal on it, $1079 for the $1249 MSRP model... 6gb, 1gb video, BluRay and 650g HDD (and no tax thanks to Amazon).