1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Sony SE Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by BigNerd, Sep 30, 2011.

1. kradcliffe

kradcliffe Newbie

Reputations:
    One of the 64gb raided partitions failed on my Vaio SE. Very surprised to find out it's a custom Samsung unit and not a normal SATA connection

I got the Sony cable A1854739A which is rare to find. It has the proprietary connecter on one end and micro sata on the other. There isn't room to fit a 2.5" SSD and the adapter from msata to sata.

Only solution is to get a 1.8" SSD like this one. I have fitted it and confirm it works well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DCUKKK0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keith

2. Masamune_2k

Masamune_2k Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I'm the owner of a late 2011 Vaio SE (Core i5 Sandy Bridge) which is still alive and kickin'!

I have a question about the CD/DVD drive which died recently, that I would like to replace.
    The drive model is : Matshi-ta UJ8A2ABSX2-S

Can someone help me finding a compatible model?

I noticed that I would need a model without the loading tray front cover, like the UJ8A2ABSX2-S:
    http://i.pchub.com/i/Panasonic-UJ8A2ABSX2-DVD-RW-Writer-Bare-UJ8A2ABSX2-b-117781.jpg

If possible, I would like to get a more recent Blu-Ray compatible drive.
    I think that 2012 Vaio SE had optionally a BD Drive, can someone point me the exact reference?
    Else, is there other alternative that would be compatible (ie. without front plate)?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  3. tewill

tewill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd like to encrypt my system drive with BitLocker, and even though I've owned my SE for more than three years, I've never done it before. The manual says I must install the Infineon TPM Professional Package, but I've upgraded my machine to Windows 8.1 and when I try to install it I'm told that there are known compatibility issues when installing the version that shipped with my SE (i.e. for WIN7).

I installed anyway, thinking there might be a way to automatically update it, but I didn't see one. I also don't see an updated version on the Sony support site, and when I contacted support they appeared to be clueless.

So, I was wondering if anyone here is using BitLocker and their TPM on their SE while running Windows 8 or 8.1, and what you did? I don't have the OEM update utility installed, so I'm unsure whether that would update Infineon, even though it doesn't appear on the support site as a download?

Any help would be great - thanks!

4. dwhecht

dwhecht Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a VPCSE190X. My 2x128 SSD, with lif/zif (whichever) connectors using FPC-266 Y-Ribbon cable failed recently. I appreciate everyone who has commented and provided their input on how they went about replacing their HDD in this notebook. Your information was hugely valuable to me.

I have been able to replace the HDD, and I wanted to let you know with what component parts b/c figuring this out was a pain. I was able to buy a FPC-263 sony ribbon cable, which has a FPC to SATA connector. I then was able to purchase a 2.5" Crucial SATA SSDrive and the necessary HDD brackets. Everything is back up and working great. Sourcing these parts was a pain, so I am listing below where I was able to get them.

- FPC-263 Sony FPC to SATA ribbon connector from pchub.com (link) Comes from a warehouse in China. I paid $90 for parts and shipping. ouch, but better than buying a new laptop.
    - Crucial HDD from crucial.com, this part was obviously easy. (link)
    - 2.5" HDD brackets from laptopking.com. I could not find brackets listed for the VPCSE, but I was able to find these for the VPCSC and they fit just fine in the VPCSE. (link) I paid $20 for brackets and shipping.

Hope that saves someone time. I had to waste a lot of time trying to figure this out. No thanks Sony.

5. magendim

magendim Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Getting ready to dispose of a Model VPCSE190X unit if anyone is looking for a parts laptop. It does boot but has some unidentified hardware issues (goes to sleep when power plug is stressed the wrong way and had blue screen issues). Has an upgraded memory module and a 3rd party optical drive hard drive carrier replacement unit. I pulled both SSDs and put the factory magnetic 500GB drive back in. Also have two VGP-PRS25 docking stations with power supplies and bottom sheet battery that was never used. Make an offer for the whole lot and pay for shipping (can ship USPS flat rate so shouldn't cost too much). Email me at magendim (at) gmail.com.