Sony SA Series Discussion Sony's next new 13.3 laptop

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by sturmnacht, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    Not only chipset shortages, but the total recall due to a voltage issue in the stepping causing SATA degradation and/or failure over time.

It's even worse than the old Pentium division bug recall, in that now, Intel recalls all the chipsets and not just those of customers that complain, and that you can't just plug in a replacement like with the CPU, but because it's surface mounted, have to replace the entire board. It's going to cost Intel a fortune, and laptop manufacturers a lot of lost time:
    Sandy Bridge based laptops aren't expected to be seen in any volume until summer.

2. fuchstronaut

fuchstronaut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good for AMD though....

3. Geeee

Geeee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    (edit) OFF-TOPIC. Wrong Thread.

My Apologies.

4. othersteve

othersteve Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why even go there? You are the customer. Even in court, the customer always wins. The moment you bring up some bogus issue to stack on top the physical damage problem, they'll assume you're lying to cover up the fact that you broke it. That's the worst thing you can do.

If you ask me, if it was purchased at a store, take it back immediately, very politely explain your disbelief upon opening the package to find this damaged (and very expensive) product, and then explain that before they replace it, you want to be able to open the next box right there in the store to ensure it doesn't happen again. Don't even give them the chance to think about blaming you--just presume you will see a replacement the moment you walk up to the counter and it will happen.

Worst-case scenario, you can always call your credit card company on the spot and dispute the charge, explaining the problem to them. If you show enough persistence the store will have no issue refunding your money.

If you got it from SonyStyle, I'd say just do the same thing. In fact, the moment you send it back, you might want to go ahead and dispute the charge with your CC company just to be safe, considering how ridiculously bad their customer service apparently is. Don't even give them the opportunity to accuse you, THE CUSTOMER.

5. Geeee

Geeee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    (edit) Off-Topic. Wrong Thread.

6. falconxp

falconxp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cheaper version of the SA.

SA 1600x900 screen, SSD
    SB 1366x768 screen, HDD

7. othersteve

Reputations:
    In the US?

8. othersteve

Reputations:
    Boy, that's great news for me. One of my biggest concerns with the Z, as many of you know, was how it'd hold up under heavy write cycles with its proprietary SSD array. Given this information, I'll probably get an SA (if it's worth it) and then plug in a standard 2.5" SSD in place of the HDD. Good times!

9. SPEEDwithJJ

SPEEDwithJJ NBR Super Idiot

Reputations:
    I agree that's great news.

othersteve, you're not alone. :) Those are the exact reasons why I did not upgrade from my VGN-Z series notebook to a VPC-Z notebook (Sony USA do not offer HDD only models for the VPC-Z series & due to costs, I do not want to import them). ;)

10. rotho

rotho Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

My first post here :eek: !

I live in France and I have a couple of questions for beaups (or any other well informed sony "insider") :

- Will the current Z14 be available outside Japan (in Europe in particular) ?
    - When do you think we will know more about the future successor of the Z (not SA/SB) ? By "more", I mean the screen size and resolution, the form factor, the drive capacity, etc.

I ask this question because, when a "prototype" of this future Z is shown/announced, I think I will be able to make a purchase decision : either buy the current Z, or wait till this future Z is released (I want to purchase a powerfull laptop, but I'm not in a particular hurry).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.