Sony SA Series Discussion Sony's next new 13.3 laptop

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by sturmnacht, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacob_s

jacob_s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmmm... see, on my SR I gave up looking for a screen replacement which is why I'm looking for a new laptop lol. Maybe Sony has gotten better, but I doubt it. With various other people helping me, the best we could find was a $300 on eBay, but the shipping would have been quite a bit. Sony wanted $600 for the panel alone. Are other laptops standard enough to "upgrade" to a different screen? I know they're not hard to take out, but how do you go about ensuring the upgrade would fit if it's not the exact same? I have to say this is an intriguing idea, but I have this bad feeling about Sony being "sub-standard" in this department.

2. lastnikita

lastnikita Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Where do you find better screens ?
    I tried to have a quick look for my TimelineX, to find that quality was rarely mentioned, and it looks quite hard to find the same connector/location/panel size.

I was talking about actual products, not fantasies.
    There is no new Z yet. You don't sell something that's not out.....

3. Stradevarius

Stradevarius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Been a LONG time lurker (my favorite way of doing things). I just ordered this configuration:

Customization Details
    Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter (Click More Info for details.)
    4GB (4GB Fixed Onboard + 1 Open SDRAM Slot) DDR3-SDRAM-1333
    Blu-ray Disc™ player Standard capacity battery
    Adobe Bundle (Free - $448 value)
    No Engraving
    500GB (7200rpm) hard drive
    Intel® Core™ i5 2520M processor (2.50GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.20GHz Norton Internet Security™ 2011 (30 Day Trial)
    No Mobile Broadband Built-In
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    13.3" LED backlit display (1600x900)
    Silver
    No Fresh Start
    AMD Radeon™ HD 6630M (1GB VRAM) hybrid graphics
    Intel® Wireless Display technology

Looking forward to having such a powerful, compact notebook after using a HP MIni 311 almost exclusively for 1.5 years.

A tip for anyone ordering. I tried to get the student discount over the phone without having to pay for the service plan. they weren't able to do it, but when i expressed my doubts, they kicked in a 5% promotional discount (probably as a last ditch effort). saved me 75 bucks!

Also, does anyone have any updated info on when the Newmodeous (I think that's the company) caddy is going to be available for the S series?

4. requiem86

requiem86 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So what was the total on your laptop and warranty? You got a 5% in total? im not sure exactly what you mean by "without having to pay for the service plan" - free warranty?

5. Stradevarius

Reputations:
    To receive the student discount, you have to have an .edu email address or some form of verification, which I have, but you also have to buy a service/warranty plan. no service plan means no student discount.

I placed my order over the phone so I could haggle the price a bit (receive student discount without purchasing a warranty plan), and while I wasn't able to get 10%, i did receive 5% off.

My total was $1420.00 before taxes, they applied the 5% discount at this stage, and then added my state sales tax to that. Ended up at around $1473.00

Hope that helps,

Stradevarius

6. requiem86

requiem86 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    weird...i put an online order for a SA, with a student discount for 10%...NOT using an .edu.

Any reason why you don't want a warranty? Don't think it's worth it?

7. Stradevarius

Reputations:
    I think there are other ways to qualify for the student discount, as you have shown, and the .edu email address is just one of them.

regarding the warranty, I think it is sort of a scam (overpriced). I definitely think it is a good investment if you can afford it (for those who worry), but some people are more prone to accidents then others, and over the years of buying gadgets and electronics, I've maintained an excellent track record, so I don't really bother.

To tell you the truth, one day some gadget of mine will probably break down, but with all the money I've saved from opting out of warranties I can buy a replacement and have plenty of money left over. Plus, as I've seen in the Droid X forum, so many people return stuff when in facts it isn't broken.

IMO, just not worth it.

8. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    Re: comments about comparing a $1,350 laptop to a $2000 laptop. The base price of the new Z is said to be $1,999, the new Z will be SSD only. The SSD really drives up the price. You really should compare like for like. The base price of the SA with an SSD is $1,649 so like for like it's $350 difference. I'm not sure if the base model will come with WWAN if so then the difference is $300. Smaller laptops also command a premium.

The SA is not cheap. The model i want is £1,5XX/$2.5XX. That's a lot of money for me to put down on this laptop. For that sort of money i want a good display. Still, i will wait and bit and and not purchase the first couple of revisions.
    I would like to CTO a better display but i don't think i can remember Sony ever introducing that for models down the line.
    Depending on how the new Z does Sony might want to be a bit more aggressive with the SA.

edited to add:
    It's interesting that with the F series the vaio premium display is only a £30 upgrade over the vaio plus display.

9. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    although 350 in a 2000 base price wont command that kind of premium, its still 15%+ increase in price.

and I still firmly believe that the niches are different, much like the old Z vs the old S, they were geared to different markets, however due to the same format, they competed sometimes with each other. They were still in different niches.

the problem here is that sony put some premium features in the S, like the dedicated gpu, and the higher res screen, not to mention the SSDs options. thus blurring the line.

However looking at the new Z, the differences remain substantial to avoid extreme overlapping killing the profit of the higher end model.

this reminds me of the eternal itanium joke, there was a difference in price and performance against the xeon line, however now that the line is blurred, people are again cracking more jokes at the ''titanium'', however its still going to be used and is a very profitable cpu, the line up netted 4bi last year.

So while the power should be about the same the form factor is a it changed, gearing towards the ultrabook concept, however with the premium that we know sony loves.

What we could say is that the blurring of the S and the Z series might have happened due to the success of the last year Z, if somewhat limited or even helped by the great price tag

In brazil the last year z12 can be found for 10.000 Reais, since the currency conversion is basically 1.6 Real = 1 Dollar, we can see that 6250 dollars aint that cheap, however the base SB can be found for 3000 Reais, meaning 1875 dollars. Much cheaper, Im still waiting to see when they are going to put the SA in here, it should be around 4000 reais = 2500 dollars

However, prices in Brazil isnt what people discuss in this forum, but prices in the US, and a 15%+ premium, is still a hefty sum of money, interestingly enough that premium nets the same value as a SSD from intel

10. Philm_be

Philm_be Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A french review: Sony VAIO VPCSB1S1E/W

Contrast ratio: 209:1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.