Sony SA Series Discussion Sony's next new 13.3 laptop

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by sturmnacht, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Yes ... the Acer 3820TG's display has 141:1 contrast. But, that is only slightly better than the 138:1 in the SB. Nevertheless, if I was paying $1,500 for a notebook with a conventional drive, I would want a far better display, even if the resolution was HD+. I think the HD+ display will still make the SA sell well, but Sony could have completely eliminated any competition from the Acer Timelines by adding a decent display. It looks like there will be a 3830TG I5-2410M/GT540M sold in the states for $779. It should show up on discount stores for > $750. If the display on the Acer actually has better contrast, I think (once the throttling problem is fixed) the Acer will still sell well in the US.

So far, I have been able to get through an entire notebook refresh period and have not been seriously tempted to replace my 3820TG with anything on the market ATM. I thought the SA was going to make me rethink that. I liked the Lenovo X1 but the lack of matt display and the low resolution put that to rest. All I have to do is get past the new Z's release and I can probably make it to the first quarter of next year with this Acer.:D

Bronsky:cool:

2. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    I thought the competition throttled themselves to death.

You are going to buy a new Z Bronsky you have no way out!

3. Nc79

Nc79 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The truth is Sony are saving the best quality screen for the Z. If you look at SA competition you have the Toshiba 835, lenovo x1, Acer Aspire 3830TG, Dell Vostro 3350 there is no 13" with the same features as the SA of a much better screen.
    The new macbook might have a slightly better screen at lower resolution but is also £250 more lacking discreet graphics, only 5400rpm hard drive, fingerprint scanner and is heavier.
    A preimium screen would no doubt have canabalised sales of the Z especialy given its new 2 part format.

4. fscussel

fscussel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I believe since the new Z is a new proposal, with 2 units, it will not compete with SA, it seems to me that the new Z and SA are very different products, which doesn't happens between the current Z and SA. That said, I believe sony would just be more successful if they didn´t save in screen quality in SA and have used a better panel, at least of the same quality as old z 1600x900 one.

5. lastnikita

lastnikita Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If SA had such a good panel still at that price range, sony would have nothing to sell its Z with.
    I wish there was more competition in that segment :'(

6. fscussel

Reputations:
    if I was to buy a new Z I would do it because of it´s 1kg incredible low weight, because of it´s proposal of "play games only docked" -> vga on dock, and not only because of it´s screen quality. I mean, if someone wants everything in one pack those would buy the SA. If wants incredible mobility, 1kg, would buy the new Z. So I believe if SA had an "above average" display, like the old Z 1600x900, people would still buy the new Z because it will serve their needs of mobility better (1kg is 1kg). But that is just my point of view. What I think will happens is people not buying the SA (and sony looses money this way) because of the poor display quality.

7. IntenseIGFX

IntenseIGFX Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone that is considering the Z vs the SA, why not at least wait a few weeks to find out exactly what this new Z is going to be? I really like having a 13.1 screen and if the new Z will maintain that, I'll most likely get it. I've only had my current Z for 9 months and I'll be honest in saying that I really need a better GPU. I really like to play games on the go and I have to OC it 30% just to play SC2 on medium settings with decent smoothness. If the new Z's external GPU is no bigger than a wallet and the combined weight of the new Z + its external GPU are about 3.5-4lbs, I'll buy the new Z. I know damn well that if I buy the SA right now, I'll surely regret it the second that new Z hits shelves.

8. LoneStarWings

LoneStarWings Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm disappointed that the SA display has the same color/contrast quality as the SB but I got an email from Sony saying that my SA is shipping today.

To me the screen is not a deal breaker, they're relatively easy to replace/upgrade later if a better one becomes available on the aftermarket (if it's anything like the other laptops I've owned). I'm on my Sager's 2nd screen, the first one cracked after 3 years. It's a 5 minute process to change screens.

9. fscussel

Reputations:
    I´ve never considered that option, is it possible to buy the exact screen with vaio/sony logo and everything and better specs? Well, let´s say it´s possible, it would still cost a fortune I think.

10. requiem86

requiem86 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    does anyone remember if the Sony Vaio CA (1600x900) screen quality was the same as the SB/SA?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.