Sony recalling VAIO TZ models due to overheating risk

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Withnail, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dadoes

dadoes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would send it in and have it checked out. The TZ runs hotter than the avg laptop IMO.

My new Z idles at around 40 degrees, whereas the TZ idles around 55-60 degrees.

2. jujube

jujube Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, I bought mine from Amazon, same as rahul's TZ130N/B and it's on the list so I went from the 90 day / 1 year coverage to 2 years. As stated by other posters, it gets hot on the right side. Screen's awesome of course but a 2GB ram has made all the big difference + 2GB memory stick via readyboost has helped some what.

3. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  4. scottyinco

scottyinco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mine didn't have any issues whatsoever until I turned it on one morning and there was no backlight on the screen and I smelled an electrical short coming from the left hinge.

Get it fixed if you don't want a surprise.

5. Babydarklord

Babydarklord Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello

If you`re model is affected what I suggest is go to website and schedule an onsite service. tech will just fix the wirings or connecting wires of the lcd hinges possible causing overheating issue.

6. Rahul

Rahul Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I suppose Sony will only do this free repair if I send it to them or schedule an onsite repair ASAP? If I keep waiting and then my TZ eventually fries, then they will no longer fix it, at least not for free?

I NEVER EVER would have expected this sort of severe design flaw from the premium TZ series. Right now, its a ticking time bomb and its eventually going to fry if not fixed? I hope it can hold out for this semester, shame its my only computer. :(

7. Vaio TZ

Vaio TZ Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If you look at this old thread showing how to replace the HDD with a SSD it shows the exact mess of wires that need to be checked .

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=162085

I have 2 tz130's that are on the recall list . The only option sony gives me is sending them both in for inspection . I also must wait 7-21 days for processing . 2 years ago i had to return 2 t250 batteries that were recalled & now this . Not a happy sony customer ..

8. Rahul

Rahul Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Why is an onsite repair not possible for you? Are you too far away for that service? I cannot ship in mine for service as its needed for school. Well, I may have to buy a cheap netbook as a substitute.

Why do I have this feeling my TZ130 is going to die any day now?
    I'm sorry, I'm still a bit in shock over the TZs suffering from this recall, I expected this from cheaper notebooks like my Compaq whose Nvidia GPU fried and HP did repair, but not a Vaio TZ of all laptops and the premium I paid.
    I apologize for all my whining.

9. jsis

jsis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If I were you, I'll ask Sony for a replacement notebook as a loan while yours is in repair.

10. DanyBui81

DanyBui81 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    just get the acer aspire one rahul like i did =p