Sony recalling VAIO TZ models due to overheating risk

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Withnail, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starstreak

starstreak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And I liked (NOT) how the tech on the phone skipped the part about my lid being scratched. When I said, well I'm not sure what youre gonna do ab out the scratched lid.. He said "hmmm not sure...well I placed the order for the rubber feet etc, etc" So they skipped over that whole part. I guess it was my fault for not pushing that further, but since I had zero issue with my screen, I didn't want that to be damaged next.

2. Polter

Polter Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well. they told me that the LCD spacer costs about 1 Euro (~$1.40), all the rest is shipping costs.
    The funny part was when the box from Sony arrived: I was not at home, so my girlfriend answered the door and when opened the package could not understand what it was about. She and the DHL guy thought that Sony had forgotten to put the item in the box and had sent just an empty package!

Attached Files:

3. AFD

AFD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Haha, that cracked me up! Maybe they thought the spacer would get damaged in an envelope? =)

4. Likey

Likey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can't believe it, spoke with Sony on Monday and was livid to find out that the spare parts will arrive on Wednesday before they can work on my TZ.

So I might get it on Thursday or Friday - what a joke! It's almost 3 weeks and still not resolved.

5. Likey

Likey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I went to Tottenham Court Road last weekend to see the Z-Series and OMFG, it's sooooooo nice I want one.

Looked at the TZ because I am now deprived and noticed that people have been thieving the little bezels or they have become loose, one or the other. Not a bad idea...

6. silly-na

silly-na Newbie

Reputations:
    I also posted in Skippy911's thread, but wanted to repeat some of it here, since I think most TZ owners will be reading this thread.

I just had the repair guy come this morning and apparently, my wires are chewed up in a way that I need to send the comp back. The camera doesn't work now, although I never used it before the repair, so I don't know whether I just neglected to install the driver or if the guy broke it. He also made an ugly scratch on the top cover that I called Sony customer service about as soon as I saw it. They at first wanted to send me a new cover and have a tech come by to install it, but after reading Skippy's thread, I said, can't they just put on a new cover in San Diego, since it has to go there anyway? He agreed, so I'll see what comes back...hopefully everything will be fixed and there will be no internal or external damage.

Now for the question: I upgraded to 2GB RAM and also did a full clean install of Vista Business, including getting rid of the partition. Skippy911 mentioned that he restored everything to factory defaults before sending it back. Has anyone sent their clean installed Vista laptop and had a problem? Do I really need to wipe everything? And should I switch the 1GB RAM back in as well?

This is a pain, because I also use this laptop every day at work (which I'm at right now, using this laptop to type this post), and 10 days absence will make me very unhappy. Also, honestly, how sloppy do you have to be to take a voluntary repair and leave a big scratch on the cover? I mean, that's just totally avoidable.

7. robertd38606

robertd38606 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last night, my computer was plugged into the wall and sitting on my bed during the night. When I awoke, there was a small burn on my bed's comforter and my computer was physically melted around the area where the power cord plugs into the computer at the bottom of the screen and the top left of the keyboard area.

I have called sony about this issue, and they have said they will extend my one year warranty that comes with the computer for 2 years, which doesn't help me at all since I purchased the 3 year extended accidental damage warranty from them.

My question is where do I go from here? Is the best that I can hope for sending it in and waiting weeks to get some kind of notice from sony, or should I even accept that? This is going to be a major inconvenience for me because I am losing my schoolwork, and a computer is required for my classes. (I am on another person's computer right now). Also, while it is not really a big deal to me, my bed's comforter is burned. Should I expect them to do something about that as well? I'm very lucky I wasn't burned by overheating as I was within a foot of the computer all night.

8. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Your laptop - you'll have to send it in as far as I can see.
    Maybe you can extract something from them as you had additional warranty already...

About your bed - insurance may actually cover it, warranty wont.

9. Vaio TZ

Vaio TZ Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I agree the warrantee wont cover the comforter , however this isnt a warrantee issue . The notebook melted ...

Sony is liable & they know that . I would be very apprehensive about sending them the evidence that could potentally cost them WAY more than a new TZ & bedspread .

Sony is just trying to cover thier *** , plain as that . When Sony's employees come on here saying send it in for " review " i find that not only offensive but downright insulting .

They OWE him a new laptop , simple as that . If he wanted to pursue this issue im fairly certain sony would end up paying alot more .

I have 2 TZ notebooks that are on the recall list but will not be sending either in to sony for repair . Why you ask , they sent me a box desighned for a single notebook , expecting me to stuff both in the box & hope for the best . Sony does not care about anything but sony .

10. robertd38606

robertd38606 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This where I'm confused on how much advantage/power/leverage I have over sony on this issue. You say that sony could be liable for way more than the cost of new laptop and bedspread, but for what? I know little about the law, but are you saying they could possibly be liable for lost time of not having the laptop or psychological damages or what? Maybe I am not thinking of something. I certainly in no way wish to sue sony but would like to know how much leverage I really have in negotiating with them to make sure I am treated fairly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.