Sony recalling VAIO TZ models due to overheating risk

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Withnail, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buellboy

Buellboy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just received a phone call from SONY in SD and they said they completed the refit of my TZ. I had included a note in the package written about how much I take good care of my TZ 191 w/32 SSD
    The tech said he replaced the scratched screw covers and treated it carefully.
    I also inquired about a HD upgrade but was told that , that wasn't supported. I was desiring to upgrade to the 64gb HD. The tech said the motherboard could support the 64 and I should purchase it and get installed myself.
    I wonder where to even begin to look for the replacement HD which will slip right in??

2. JohnP007

JohnP007 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got my TZ back today (very quick got picked up Thur. PM and got it back Mon. mid PM) and I got the blue VAIO screen cloth but nothing else, someone mentioned they got a 2gb card or something right? Did anyone else get anything other than the blue cloth?

Also I could be wrong but my charger seems smaller? Maybe it was always that small? Doesn't Sony have a compact charger 4 the tz? What is the difference in size? Does it fully charge at the same time if there is 2 different sizes?

3. voipben

voipben Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I too got the cheap blue cloth as my thank you gift. :(

Did they tag your charger? If so, it's the same one you sent in and, yes, it is fairly small. I think the tiny charger is only available in Japan, so I doubt you got that one... but I could be wrong.

Ben

4. Likey

Likey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Jeez, I'm still waiting for my laptop to be returned.

Here's my update:

* DHL picked it up from my workplace on Mon 22nd Sept

* Received a call from TelePlan on Tue 23rd Sept in the morning saying they've done the procedure but the note I wrote prompted them to send it to Sony Repair Centre because they couldn't look into the overheating problem

* Sony sent me a SMS text message on Fri 26th Sept saying they have received it and will have it back to me within 5 working days

* On Mon 29th Sept, DHL arrived and came to pick up another laptop. This confused me because I thought they were returning it although it did seem too quick. I rang Sony and they said there must have been a mistake and that my laptop is on it's way back either today or tomorrow.

* I just received a call (Tue 30th Sept) saying that they still have it which is a blessing, didn't want Reception to nick it! The person's job was to ask what problems I have been getting and to relay it back to the Sony Engineer. I seriously think they need to change this procedure and have an engineer call me because I felt that she didn't really know what I was saying. I was requesting that they provide me with extra rubber feet and explained the overheating issues I have been getting.

Hopefully I'll receive it before the weekend because I really miss it, have been using my other laptop that is too heavy and needs to charge after 2 hrs.

Why don't Sony UK offer extended warranty? I think that's not really fair. I asked them and they said I cannot purchase extended warranty on it either, what the...?

5. Buellboy

Buellboy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    mines is back

seems like it was, which is the idea eh?

no extra scratches, which means none as before

I guess I am just glad to get it back in one piece.. with everything working..

6. Likey

Likey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Jealous! About to ring Sony now, I want it by tomorrow!

Did you get any freebies with yours? 3 days or longer? Mine has almost taken 2 weeks!

7. starstreak

starstreak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Got the rubber feet in the mail. It came in a box that was about a foot long. And all there was two little rubber feet.
    Here's the kicker, they sent me the wrong one. Even after I told them to make sure its the one for the battery, they sent me the one for the laptop itself.

8. Buellboy

Buellboy Notebook Guru

Reputations:

They sent a glass cleaning cloth with a VAIO logo as if that is enough
    I am grateful to get my baby back unscathed
    Verbally they have committed to an additional years warranty
    I hope I don't have to use it, I would reference the "W" number and the "E" number to jog their memory
    That is their way to soothe the ruffled feathers from this episode
    The whole thing took too long. a long week

9. Polter

Polter Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ridiculous warranty policy from Sony for a 3K Notebook!
    I lost one (1) of those tiny feet from the top right of my 8 month old TZ screen (Sony calls them LCD spacers). I contacted Sony for a replacement and I was told that it was not covered by warranty and I will have to pay for it. Well, having to pay for just a tiny piece of rubber didn't seem such a good idea, but I was reassured that I would receive a full kit.
    Well, after a few days I received a nylon bag containing only one (1) tiny rubber spacer! And it cost me about $12 because it had to be sent from the Netherlands to Greece!
    So I will have to pay $12 each time I lose one! What a nightmare!

After calling Sony again, they apologised about the misunderstanding about a kit, they were always reffering to just one tiny rubber spacer..

Go figure..

What a shame.

10. Duke2007

Duke2007 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOL. 12 DOLLARS?! for a tiny tiny rubber foot that probably costs only cents to make? ouch... that just seems...unethical.

Was it the shipping that was 12 or the actual product? how much would it cost w/o shippping?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.