Sony comes clean on faulty 8XXX series Nvidia Chips!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by ScuderiaConchiglia, Aug 10, 2009.

1. no1uknow

no1uknow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    According to the press release, AR1xx-AR3xx are affected. I would try to call sony, but i doubt that you will have luck with getting a free replacement. Your graphics card may have failed for a different reason.

2. no1uknow

Reputations:
    After getting my whole chipset replaced by the onsite technician, i noticed that the idle temps for the GPU have gone up. Before, the gpu idled at 50-55 degrees celsius and would max out at around 65-70. Now it idles at 61-65 degrees and maxes out as high as 80.

I was thinking that maybe this tech was sloppy and may have not reapplied thermal compound during the replacement. Do you think i should crack it open and apply the compound myself or just forget about it?

3. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    no1uknow,
    My Nvidia chip idles at 58-68 C. This depends on the ambient temp too. While running Flash video, the temp goes as high 75 C. The maximum was 78 C. Idling temp of 80 degrees doesn't sound normal. Call Sony. Also the ambient temp matters a lot.

On a side note, the 3 year extended warranty for my 8400M GT expires today and it is still working well. Hope it doesn't fail in the near future.

4. no1uknow

Reputations:
    It actually maxes out at 80 when playing a game, it never idles that high. I was concerned because the temps are 10 degrees higher than before, but now im thinking that this might be normal since the fan doesnt kick in at 60.

Rajesh, I hope u get lucky and it doesnt fail. Thats bad that sony wont replace it unless it breaks.

5. masoqist

masoqist Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guyz, 2 dayz ago my fz11m got screwd with the 8400m gt typical problem, vertical lines and etc.I got "machine malfunction" blue screen mesage on boot and entered in safe mode, uninstall driver and now i can use it but those lines looks awfull.
    I'm wonder were can i buy a 8400m gt gpu to change it. i looked over internet and all results was forum posts with 8400m malfunction not even 1 gpu seller.
    There is any other gpu compatible to use or i need to buy exacly same model to change it?

6. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    First, please don't cross post the same question in multiple threads, it is against the forum rules.

Second, you can't replace the 8400. It is soldered directly to the motherboard and unless you have the proper tools for handling surface mount soldering you are out of luck. However depending on when you bought your machine Sony might fix it for you for free. They extended the warranty by an extra three years for this specific problem. Look at the first message in this thread for details.

Gary

7. masoqist

masoqist Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry for my double post.
    I buyed this laptop from a guy and i dont have any papers regarding my warranty or buyed time.In this case do i have to try contact sony or without those papers is usefull?
    There is a sony representation in my town..i can try there or...buy another laptop:)
    p.s. sry for my english!

8. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sony will ask for the serial number of the laptop, which can be found in the BIOS/ bottom of the laptop.

9. leslieann

leslieann Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are people on Ebay who will repair the 8400, and make it better even.
    Just be sure they are replacing it and not just doing a re-heat or melt.

Expect $150-200 for this service.

10. masoqist

masoqist Newbie

Reputations:
    I've payed 400$ for this laptop so another 150-200 better goes to another one.i can recover @ 250$ if i sell it by pieces...so not a good bussiness to repair it:)

Thx for help me guyz!