1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Sony comes clean on faulty 8XXX series Nvidia Chips!

Discussion in 'Sony' started by ScuderiaConchiglia, Aug 10, 2009.

1. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    It took a long time but apparently Sony has had a change of heart on the issue of the faulty Nvidia chips in various models of VAIO's. They are now acknowledging the issue. They are offering to extend our warranties on the Nvidia portion of the machines to three years.

USA:
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=VGNFZ190N&news_id=349
    Canada:
    http://www.sony.ca/view/814.htm
    Japan:
    http://vcl.vaio.sony.co.jp/support/info/2009/028.html

The are also offering reimbursement for anyone who has already paid for the repairs.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-info.pl?info_id=489

(I decided to start a new thread on this in hopes that some folks who, out of frustration, have stopped looking at the other threads might see this and avail themselves of the offer.)

Gary

2. Petrovic

Petrovic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    "A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

3. mmm12sm

mmm12sm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    At least they care about customers, Samsung doesn't give a f.. about that issue. But well few days ago I wanted to buy new LCD, my first choice was Samsung but after quick look at my dead Samsung R70 I went with Sony LCD...

4. hendra

hendra Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sony should send Nvidia the bills!

5. Ayukawa

Ayukawa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So Sony Japan, USA had acknowledged the problem...so as Sony Europe (read a post in Club VAIO yesterday)
    But what about Sony AP? or Asia models are not affected

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The costs get shared.

John

7. Skyshade

Skyshade Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Finally, now my FZ4000 is covered. The list is surprisingly short, though -- it seems to be limited to 8400M GT only?

--
    EDIT: weird, the list of graphics card affected (click the link to on how to identify your graphic card on the support page) is much longer, yet the models affected are only LT, FZxx, & AR. What happens to SZ?

8. darrickmartin

darrickmartin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i noticed that the 9xxx series cards are absent from the list on the sony support page. are the 9xxx series safe or did sony just not sell any products with those cards?

9. Purehazard

Purehazard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My wife's SZ 1 year warranty was over 5 months ago. I can't even find my invoice. Will they cover from the manufacturing date?

EDIT: Didn't read everything here. Like Skyshade said, is the SZ not covered?

10. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The SZ is not covered under the 3 year warranty extension. May be not many SZ's have failed due to the defective GPU's.